Sponsored by: Road Spy

2015 Black TTS coming...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Black TTS coming...

I just gave the deposit for an early June delivery and I have the need to mod now!

Im getting the HRE P103's (centerlock) 20's in mat black. Going with a 255/ 335 on 9.5's/12.5's.

Now, the real question...most of my current rides are blown / TC'd and produce between 600 -1000 RWHP. Some of them put power down quite nicely and others not so much. LOL

I know this thing is going to be quicker than pretty much all of them from a dig...but I have this insatiable need for more power over stock, always. I just can't leave well enough alone. My FGT at WOT starting at 60-80 will inflict chest pain...she produces 850 RWHP and she hooks quite well from a roll.

I have done some research and have been looking at the GIAC stage 2 setup. I'm not used to spending 8-10K for a tune and exhaust to get only 50-70 HP more. I don't mind doing it, but are their reported gains real or BS, and from those of you who've done it...is there a truly perceptible difference over the stock 560 HP?

I'm used to adding 50-100% more power over stock, where I know there's a huge difference. I know mid 2's for a 0-60, is probably faster than anything I have now...(except my bikes), but if I add a GIAC Stages 2 and exhaust, will I feel that much more power?

I won't track the car and won't blast her from light to light like an *******, but I will put my foot in it and go WOT a few times each time I plan to drive her.

So...what's the deal here? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I just gave the deposit for an early June delivery and I have the need to mod now!

Im getting the HRE P103's (centerlock) 20's in mat black. Going with a 255/ 335 on 9.5's/12.5's.

Now, the real question...most of my current rides are blown / TC'd and produce between 600 -1000 RWHP. Some of them put power down quite nicely and others not so much. LOL

I know this thing is going to be quicker than pretty much all of them from a dig...but I have this insatiable need for more power over stock, always. I just can't leave well enough alone. My FGT at WOT starting at 60-80 will inflict chest pain...she produces 850 RWHP and she hooks quite well from a roll.

I have done some research and have been looking at the GIAC stage 2 setup. I'm not used to spending 8-10K for a tune and exhaust to get only 50-70 HP more. I don't mind doing it, but are their reported gains real or BS, and from those of you who've done it...is there a truly perceptible difference over the stock 560 HP?

I'm used to adding 50-100% more power over stock, where I know there's a huge difference. I know mid 2's for a 0-60, is probably faster than anything I have now...(except my bikes), but if I add a GIAC Stages 2 and exhaust, will I feel that much more power?

I won't track the car and won't blast her from light to light like an *******, but I will put my foot in it and go WOT a few times each time I plan to drive her.

So...what's the deal here? Can anyone shed some light on this?
There is no question you will feel the power. With GIAC Stage 2 including the free flow exhaust and the IPD plenum, quarter mile times drop from 10.9 stock to 10.2 (member Karl911's car which has these options -- he also has Tubi castles race exhaust as well as super sticky MPSC2 tires and used race gas for the record run). Dyno runs with the GIAC stage 2 mods show about an 80 bhp gain. Everyone who has the GIAC stage 2 who I have spoken with says it transforms the car completely. I got the GAIC stage 2 suite of mods put on mine this week and am getting the car back very shortly (I had some other work done as well).

Obviously, cutting .7 seconds from the quarter mile time is a massive gain in speed. Once the Champion Intercoolers are out I would expect the power gain would be more like 100 bhp. Unfortunately, it appears the engine is just not capable of the massive gains you can get from tuning one of the V8s out like (like the M157 engine in my E63S which with a Renntech tune and mufflers jumps from 577 bhp/590 lbs ft stock to 716 bhp and 859 lbs ft). For bigger gains with the 991 TTS you would need to do a turbo upgrade. Champion is coming out with one very shortly but doing a turbo upgrade is out of the question for me due to its effects on engine lifespan.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 AM
FBA
Racer

Thanks for the post - and yes, obviously a .7 second reduction in the 1/4 is huge! I am guessing that there is a much larger TQ increase, as 80 BHP, or roughly 66-70 RWHP in this car, probably wouldn't get a .7 second gain in the 1/4. But if you're telling me it's a very perceptible increase...that's what I'm interested in!

If I go to a Tubi exhaust...and I got catless rather than HFC...will it be unruly loud? Is there any drone issues with HFC or catless?

Does anyone have any concern that these are canned tunes as opposed to tuning on the Dyno, paying close attention to the AFR's?

How tough are these engines? Do they have a tendency to blow after these types of mods? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I wouldn't want to toast my warranty and then find out I've put the drivetrain at serious risk...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
Thanks for the post - and yes, obviously a .7 second reduction in the 1/4 is huge! I am guessing that there is a much larger TQ increase, as 80 BHP, or roughly 66-70 RWHP in this car, probably wouldn't get a .7 second gain in the 1/4. But if you're telling me it's a very perceptible increase...that's what I'm interested in!

If I go to a Tubi exhaust...and I got catless rather than HFC...will it be unruly loud? Is there any drone issues with HFC or catless?

Does anyone have any concern that these are canned tunes as opposed to tuning on the Dyno, paying close attention to the AFR's?

How tough are these engines? Do they have a tendency to blow after these types of mods? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I wouldn't want to toast my warranty and then find out I've put the drivetrain at serious risk...

Your warranty is toast with any of this stuff to be honest, especially anything other than a catback exhaust. You take cats off and they will never fix your car under warranty. Very expensive proposition.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:12 AM
FBA
Racer

I know...which is what I was referring to above. Maybe I just didn't post it clearly.

I realize that the instant I tune, my powertrain warranty is toast, and that's fine. So the question I was really asking, was how many here have had blown engines as a result of the canned tune?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA

GIAC claims a gain of 81 bhp and 90 lbs ft with the GIAC stage 2 flash, Tubi race exhaust and 93 octane gas over stock:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...available.html

Based on the quarter mile times that member Karl911 is posting (10.2) I believe the gains. Of course Karl911 was running race gas and Tubi catless race exhaust and rolls on MPSC2 tires which all help the time.

My guess is with OEM summer tires or MPSS and 93 pump octane and a free flow exhaust with sport cell cats the time would be more like 10.4 That is my setup and I will post drag times when I do them.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
FBA
Racer

Well...it's now a moot point. I was at the dealer today and after I had given them a substantial deposit 3 weeks ago, they tell me today it's no longer June delivery, but end of July and that it's a 2016. They obviously baited and are now trying to switch me.

I'm not opposed to buying a 2016, but the price in Canada will be quite a bit higher I'm sure, due to the weak CDN dollar in the past 3 months. That said, if the car is an updated version and has more power...I'm in. I will probably switch dealers though and move to another one. I'm quite annoyed that they lied to me initially, took my deposit and are now delivering 7 weeks later, killing most of the time I'd get to drive it this season.

I don't think we'll see GIAC's flash for a long time to come for the 2016's...
Old 03-07-2015, 11:52 AM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

I was under the impression that the MY2016 was not even being shown until September? #confused
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 AM
FBA
Racer

So was I...

I am seeing the dealer today - who says they will show me the allocation/ build sheets with July delivery.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 AM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

Please, get whatever details you can. I thought there was going to be a HP boost, the 918 style steering wheel, as well as other cosmetic changes. Please, keep us updated. Thank you
Old 03-11-2015, 08:13 AM
FBA
Racer

Well, I saw their allocation sheets for June-August and my car is definitely slotted in there for a June build.

From what I hear...it will be pretty much the same car as the 2015; no HP upgrade. But I won't have info for a few more weeks at least - from what the dealer has told me. There will likely be a price increase here in Canada as well, but we don't yet know how much.

I hope there is a solid black wheel option in the CL's. I'm buying the HRE P103's, but it would still be nice to have the stocker's in black until I do that in any case.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM
mdbonedoc
Instructor

Interesting. Please, keep us updated. Thank you

Quick Reply: 2015 Black TTS coming...