Sponsored by: Road Spy

Painted Brake Calipers - Wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnybravom3
Haha thanks for the input. I can keep repainting gladly if I wasn't restricted to doing so at the dealers! There's a shop close to my house that do great paint work for brakes for 1/4 of the price but guess what!? They can't remove my CLs! Lol. So I'm stuck with using the dealership for the repaints.

Buy tools(they're not that expensive) and remove the wheels yourself :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...cl-change.html

Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow they look like mustard now! The turbo's really do generate a ton a heat on the track. It is not unusual to see the steel brakes smoking after a few hot laps.... a combination of brake pad and caliper paint by look of those yellows OP. Oh well.. I can't recall the factory reds losing color like that.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Wow they look like mustard now! The turbo's really do generate a ton a heat on the track. It is not unusual to see the steel brakes smoking after a few hot laps.... a combination of brake pad and caliper paint by look of those yellows OP. Oh well.. I can't recall the factory reds losing color like that.
So true on smoking brakes!!.... I've had smoke billowing from my GT3's front wheel wells after spirited sessions combine with limited cool down.
Big Reds most definitely discolour when subjected to track use. Look at the callipers on any trackrat's car next time at a track.

Slowing the rather portly weight of our TT/S cars will generate a ton of brake heat and only serve to accelerate this discolouration when "properly tracked".

Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so returned from the dealers. They are checking with me with suppliers who has high temp brakes. Paint they used on mine wasn't high temp....honestly lasted through spirited driving for nearly a year but 1 track day is what caused this. Lol.

So if they are unable to track high temp paint, they are gonna have to return me to red if I want to continue tracking. Seems this is they most likely option.

Inquired about ceramic calipers, $2,500 EACH....full brakes around-$25k. Sod that!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:01 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay so returned from the dealers. They are checking with me with suppliers who has high temp brakes. Paint they used on mine wasn't high temp....honestly lasted through spirited driving for nearly a year but 1 track day is what caused this. Lol.

So if they are unable to track high temp paint, they are gonna have to return me to red if I want to continue tracking. Seems this is they most likely option.

Inquired about ceramic calipers, $2,500 EACH....full brakes around-$25k. Sod that!
Yes that is what I figured. Wrong paint for a caliper job.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
So true on smoking brakes!!.... I've had smoke billowing from my GT3's front wheel wells after spirited sessions combine with limited cool down.
Big Reds most definitely discolour when subjected to track use. Look at the callipers on any trackrat's car next time at a track.

Slowing the rather portly weight of our TT/S cars will generate a ton of brake heat and only serve to accelerate this discolouration when "properly tracked".

How are your reds looking then gunner? wearing the properly tracked badge of honour yet?

The factory red on the steels looks perfectly fine to me, a nice contrast against yellow imo. I know some guys want the ceramic look but without the cost but what is wrong with red anyway? Big reds are still good brakes. I mean they are what they are.

Re gunners comment on properly tracked, I have seen discolouration on a few older 996tt's which were set up as dedicated track hacks but I really haven't seen the same level of discolouration on other 997tt's that have done track work, and certainly nothing that would stand out as being an issue in that dept. Maybe after a certain number of sessions the discolouration becomes more prominent to the naked eye?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Wow, no wonder they discoloured after one day......

The fact that a dealer would paint the callipers of a client on a brand new car and NOT use high-heat paint, or not have commented to you about not using Hi-heat because of lack of availability in the colour you chose...
That is astoundingly absurd!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

How are your reds looking then gunner? wearing the properly tracked badge of honour yet?
Nope not on the TT, but my GT3, absolutely!! I'd set it up using using Pagid RS29 pads, Girodisc rotors and Castrol SRF fluid. It was properly tracked to the point it wore the badge of honour.... with honour!

factory red on the steels looks perfectly fine to me, a nice contrast against yellow imo. I know some guys want the ceramic look but without the cost but what is wrong with red anyway? Big reds are still good brakes. I mean they are what they are.
The Big Reds on the 991 TT are without doubt the best "Porsche Big Reds" to date!
The OP said he was looking to match his brake callipers to his car colour in Racing Yellow, which look good...... NOT be a PCCB calliper poseur... which he could have done.

gunners comment on properly tracked, I have seen discolouration on a few older 996tt's which were set up as dedicated track hacks but I really haven't seen the same level of discolouration on other 997tt's that have done track work, and certainly nothing that would stand out as being an issue in that dept. Maybe after a certain number of sessions the discolouration becomes more prominent to the naked eye?
Not many TT's in the hands of trackrats for obvious reason, however GT3's are a dime a dozen at PCA track events in my region. It's far more unusual to see them without discolouration.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Wow, no wonder they discoloured after one day......

The fact that a dealer would paint the callipers of a client on a brand new car and NOT use high-heat paint, or not have commented to you about not using Hi-heat because of lack of availability in the colour you chose...
That is astoundingly absurd!
True but in all fairness they remained perfect through nearly a year of daily spirited driving and a high speed cross-country "rally" in November....I don't think they expect you to track the car, at least maybe the paint shop doesn't think that far. But they're being great at helping me resolve this issue so hope to get to the bottom of this. Shame tho I love the RY matching brakes, but I'm not going to stop tracking her, so need to find a middle ground. Definitely not a pccb wannabe poser but I do want yellow brakes to "match" so if the pccb paint is available which can withstand the heat, then I'll settle for it without dishing out the big $$$$ for a pccb kit. Plan B would be to go back to red and enjoy the contrast. Anyway, hopefully a win win situation in which I won't have to pay a penny. Lol

Bottom line is I learned a lesson! Hope this goes to help other members wanting to match brakes with car color as well.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

True but in all fairness they remained perfect through nearly a year of daily spirited driving and a high speed cross-country "rally" in November....I don't think they expect you to track the car, at least maybe the paint shop doesn't think that far. But they're being great at helping me resolve this issue so hope to get to the bottom of this. Shame tho I love the RY matching brakes, but I'm not going to stop tracking her, so need to find a middle ground. Definitely not a pccb wannabe poser but I do want yellow brakes to "match" so if the pccb paint is available which can withstand the heat, then I'll settle for it without dishing out the big $$$$ for a pccb kit. Plan B would be to go back to red and enjoy the contrast. Anyway, hopefully a win win situation in which I won't have to pay a penny. Lol

Bottom line is I learned a lesson! Hope this goes to help other members wanting to match brakes with car color as well.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 PM
speed21
Banned

Nope not on the TT, but my GT3, absolutely!! I'd set it up using using Pagid RS29 pads, Girodisc rotors and Castrol SRF fluid. It was properly tracked to the point it wore the badge of honour.... with honour!
Had a car set up for track previously but stayed OEM brakes (except fluids). The squeal of the pagids put me off. Terrible things. Can't say they were stopping any better either, well not from my position. I know many used the giros and pagids due to cost.

Big Reds on the 991 TT are without doubt the best "Porsche Big Reds" to date!
The OP said he was looking to match his brake callipers to his car colour in Racing Yellow, which look good...... NOT be a PCCB calliper poseur... which he could have done.
I would agree with that. The 991tt felt a couple of notches up from my 997TT in brakes and general feel, was a superior driving experience all around. Hard to argue that. The TTS with PCCB proved the more superior driving experience between the 2 though (well for me anyway) and I put that down primarily because of the PCCB brakes. TTS also felt a bit gruntier and responsive in areas of the rev band too and that was very nice too. But no question what really sold me was the instant bite of the PCCB's which lightened the feel of the car even more, and enabled effortless placement particularly during hard on off throttle applications through traffic. I swear by the PCCB now. Never thought I would say this after all these years of steels, but after finally getting a car with PCCB I don't think cost would be enough to swing me back to the reds even as good as they are now.

many TT's in the hands of trackrats for obvious reason, however GT3's are a dime a dozen at PCA track events in my region. It's far more unusual to see them without discolouration.
Most 997tts I saw on these days were primarily DD's being taken out for a few fun days rather than being used as hard core track hacks so I think you are right there. Mine had a really good set up with LFCA's alignment and so forth where as many were just stockers in that area. Possibly now these 997tt cars are ageing and becoming cheaper to access will see more becoming dedicated trakers. Who knows, or cares. Me personally, I would always take an atmo 911 or GT3 (or similar) if a lot of days were the intention. I did miss that part, owning the 997tt was not the best track car up against GT3's etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Aren't the ceramics notorious for cracking though? I have ceramics on the 612 and thank God they are fine despite a few track days -- they squeal a lot though which is annoying. But I've read somewhere about cracking brakes!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 AM
speed21
Banned

Aren't the ceramics notorious for cracking though? I have ceramics on the 612 and thank God they are fine despite a few track days -- they squeal a lot though which is annoying. But I've read somewhere about cracking brakes!
Maybe on a Ferrari. To be expected I'd would suspect. These cars are for looking at, or being looked at in, not for driving hard, least of all on a race track. I make that assessment on the fact I see these parked at the race track and then the owners tracking their Porsches (usually GT3 or otherwise) after they have been delivered by trailer, or driven there by a friend or someone else. Then when they have finished they get into the Ferrari and poke along back home. Maybe give it a little squirt here and there, but not too much to where it may break or heat something up too much. Pretty standard behaviour from what I've seen. Nothing against Ferraris either. My brother owns one so I always play nice. It is in the shop a lot tho...a little secret of his he thinks I don't know about hehe.

Last edited by speed21; 01-18-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Had a car set up for track previously but stayed OEM brakes (except fluids). The squeal of the pagids put me off. Terrible things. Can't say they were stopping any better either, well not from my position. I know many used the giros and pagids due to cost.
You needed to track more, Pagids don't squeal on the street after being properly heated by track usage! I'd get about 2 weeks of quiet street use after a track weekend before they'd start to squeal... frequent track usage solved that.
Seriously?? You found no difference between OEM and Pagid??! OEM fade and brake pedal will feel soft after a few laps, Pagid are linear lap after lap.
Many up here use Girodisc and Pagid due to vastly superior performance over OEM, which makes their higher cost more acceptable.... me included!
would agree with that. The 991tt felt a couple of notches up from my 997TT in brakes and general feel, was a superior driving experience all around. Hard to argue that. The TTS with PCCB proved the more superior driving experience between the 2 though (well for me anyway) and I put that down primarily because of the PCCB brakes. TTS also felt a bit gruntier and responsive in areas of the rev band too and that was very nice too. But no question what really sold me was the instant bite of the PCCB's which lightened the feel of the car even more, and enabled effortless placement particularly during hard on off throttle applications through traffic. I swear by the PCCB now. Never thought I would say this after all these years of steels, but after finally getting a car with PCCB I don't think cost would be enough to swing me back to the reds even as good as they are now.
Trying to use PCCB brakes near their performance limits on the street sounds kinda reckless and dangerous to me!
Even claiming to differentiate unsprung weight differences of PCCB vs steel on the street sounds more like an attempt at cost justification.
While I've tracked with PCCB and like them, their cost-to-performance factor really doesn't equate for street use. It's more about the bling! Anyone serious about track use quickly put their PCCB's in a box, to go with steel rotors and Pagid or PFC pads due to crazy replacement costs.
997tts I saw on these days were primarily DD's being taken out for a few fun days rather than being used as hard core track hacks so I think you are right there. Mine had a really good set up with LFCA's alignment and so forth where as many were just stockers in that area. Possibly now these 997tt cars are ageing and becoming cheaper to access will see more becoming dedicated trakers. Who knows, or cares. Me personally, I would always take an atmo 911 or GT3 (or similar) if a lot of days were the intention. I did miss that part, owning the 997tt was not the best track car up against GT3's etc.
Totally agree! Which is why I've gone from a well modified GT3 to a TT PLUS a Formula Renault 2.0 and now a Radical SR3RS.

At the end of the day, it's all about whatever floats YOUR boat!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 PM
speed21
Banned

You needed to track more, Pagids don't squeal on the street after being properly heated by track usage! I'd get about 2 weeks of quiet street use after a track weekend before they'd start to squeal... frequent track usage solved that. Seriously?? You found no difference between OEM and Pagid??! OEM fade and brake pedal will feel soft after a few laps, Pagid are linear lap after lap.
Many up here use Girodisc and Pagid due to vastly superior performance over OEM, which makes their higher cost more acceptable.... me included!
I had no need to track any more at all actually....very happy with the time I was spending with track vs balancing my other interests. Never said I was using Pagids either, had simply made my own observations against those that were, and, their findings/comments re squeal, cost etc. Accordingly, it became obvious Pagids weren't suitable for me as my usage balance was 90% DD/street and 10% track, so made no sense to use them really. Being superior performing against OEM? Humm, well they may very well be gunner, but my own measure comparing my lap times vs others that I knew using them wasn't compelling enough to put up with the quoted downsides. And the cheaper cost factor, again I wouldn't know as I wasn't using that product to make the comparison myself....just quoting comments made by those that were. In so far as fade and pedal feel using OEM'S? That is the case with stock fluids for sure but Motul resolved the issue. But, then again, maybe I, and the various pro racers I had shot gunned with in OEM set ups, weren't "properly tracking" the car

to use PCCB brakes near their performance limits on the street sounds kinda reckless and dangerous to me!
LOL! Seriously! Wow. Sounds like a cheap swipe coming from a guy who buys himself a TT to drive around in the centre lane.

Gunner If you seriously are unable to feel the superiority during general everyday driving situations that's fine by me. I found one does not need to be "reckless and dangerous" (as you like to infer) to feel those differences. Many others have also made the same assessment that PCCB is indeed "noticeably" superior.

claiming to differentiate unsprung weight differences of PCCB vs steel on the street sounds more like an attempt at cost justification.
LOL! Really? I mean you say you don't plan using your TT as a track car so why not enjoy all the benefits that Porsche has on offer for the car? "Bling" or otherwise. But I imagine cost was never a consideration here I suppose.

I've tracked with PCCB and like them, their cost-to-performance factor really doesn't equate for street use. It's more about the bling! Anyone serious about track use quickly put their PCCB's in a box, to go with steel rotors and Pagid or PFC pads due to crazy replacement costs.
Seriously! So F1 cars, and Porsche engineering, are basically just more about bling?...Gotcha. I mean PCCB really aren't better anywhere right?

agree! Which is why I've gone from a well modified GT3 to a TT PLUS a Formula Renault 2.0 and now a Radical SR3RS.
Umm.. yaa.. OK...nice to know but?

the end of the day, it's all about whatever floats YOUR boat!
Gunner I would truly like to believe that. But its "all good" with me either way. Truly.

Quick Reply: Painted Brake Calipers - Wear