Painted Brake Calipers - Wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Brake Calipers - Wear

Hi all

Did a search and came up with some very old threads - was hoping there would be some more recent experience with this.

So, when I bought my TT in April '14, I had my brakes painted in Racing Yellow to match the car. Love this and have been driving ever since with no issues.

However, after I tracked her for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my fronts were turning orange (see pix) whereas rears remained unchanged.

I'm taking her into the dealers this weekend to see if either (1) they have higher heat resistant paint; and/or (2) I can order Cup car cooling ducts for my TT.

One of the sales managers has these ducts installed from a GT2 onto his 996 GT3 and has his brakes painted from the dealership and hasn't had any issues. So fingers crossed we can find a solution. I love the racing yellow brakes BUT I cannot be told to keep away from track days.

Anyone have similar experiences and are able to shed some light on fixes that worked for them? I'm wondering what motorsport/racing cooling ducts would fit on the 991TT!

Tks!

JB

Last edited by jonnybravom3; 07-05-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Not all caliper painting jobs are created equal. Part of it depends on the quality of the job and the paint. A top tier job should take about five days.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

^ Well I had them done at the dealer so I'm hoping its a good job! I recall it did take a few days
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

The extreme heat generated from track use will change even the stock callipers colour and fronts get hotter than rears. It's normal.
Cooling ducts may help for a bit.
Your buddy who's callipers haven't been affected is probably not using his brakes as aggressively as you!
Track guys wear this colour change like a badge of honour!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
The extreme heat generated from track use will change even the stock callipers colour and fronts get hotter than rears. It's normal.
Cooling ducts may help for a bit.
Your buddy who's callipers haven't been affected is probably not using his brakes as aggressively as you!
Track guys wear this colour change like a badge of honour!

Hmmm good point! Reckon there's no point in repainting them again? I'm not gonna get charged for it.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extreme heat generated from track use will change even the stock callipers colour and fronts get hotter than rears. It's normal. Cooling ducts may help for a bit. Your buddy who's callipers haven't been affected is probably not using his brakes as aggressively as you! Track guys wear this colour change like a badge of honour!
Agree however not even the most aggressive driver can cause that much heat to discolor the caliper on one track day.

They did a poor job with the paint
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonnybravom3
Hmmm good point! Reckon there's no point in repainting them again? I'm not gonna get charged for it.
Repaint and then brake less....or avoid tracking to retain the original colour.

Otherwise you'll most likely end up the same.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eurotom
Agree however not even the most aggressive driver can cause that much heat to discolor the caliper on one track day.

They did a poor job with the paint
Agreed on Red calipers, which will "eventually" turn a burnt orange from track duty.
Not sure about yellow on steel rotors, but yes it may be a poor paint job.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Agreed on Red calipers, which will "eventually" turn a burnt orange from track duty.
Not sure about yellow on steel rotors, but yes it may be a poor paint job.
Another option could be to put yellow Porsche ceramic calipers on the car. Not exactly racing yellow, but might look decent and obviously will last!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Another option could be to put yellow Porsche ceramic calipers on the car. Not exactly racing yellow, but might look decent and obviously will last!
Would certainly be a solution. But the cost of that is somewhere around 20,000 bucks.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Would certainly be a solution. But the cost of that is somewhere around 20,000 bucks.
While the ceramic rotors certainly are VERY $$$$, the yellow PCCB callipers are just $$.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:02 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Yes definitely not rotors! lool. Only the yellow calipers. I'll find out the cost this weekend when I explore my options with the sales manager. Whats it likely to be? PCCB brakes here (full kit) are US$8,000/-.

May I assume the calipers would be sub-$1000?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Yes definitely not rotors! lool. Only the yellow calipers. I'll find out the cost this weekend when I explore my options with the sales manager. Whats it likely to be? PCCB brakes here (full kit) are US$8,000/-.

May I assume the calipers would be sub-$1000?
If you buy PCCB callipers, because they are physically larger than what you presently have, I'm fairly certain you will need to buy larger steel rotors to match and may need to go after-market for those. That's the route a lot of track guys with stock PCCB tend to go, rather than use up their expensive ceramic rotors...

IMO, repaint is the best option using what you already have in place, and learn to accept that if/when you track the car there will be some discolouration. Besides you can re-re-re-re-paint and still have spare cash in pocket compared to a PCCB calliper and steel rotor swap for some Pagid Race brake pads and high temp brake fluid which you will definitely need soon if your driving generates that much brake temp!! (That's a good thing!! )

Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Repaint your car and rear calipers orange. Track your car like crazy. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

If you buy PCCB callipers, because they are physically larger than what you presently have, I'm fairly certain you will need to buy larger steel rotors to match and may need to go after-market for those. That's the route a lot of track guys with stock PCCB tend to go, rather than use up their expensive ceramic rotors...

IMO, repaint is the best option using what you already have in place, and learn to accept that if/when you track the car there will be some discolouration. Besides you can re-re-re-re-paint and still have spare cash in pocket compared to a PCCB calliper and steel rotor swap for some Pagid Race brake pads and high temp brake fluid which you will definitely need soon if your driving generates that much brake temp!! (That's a good thing!! )

Haha thanks for the input. I can keep repainting gladly if I wasn't restricted to doing so at the dealers! There's a shop close to my house that do great paint work for brakes for 1/4 of the price but guess what!? They can't remove my CLs! Lol. So I'm stuck with using the dealership for the repaints. Anyway, I might leave it until the season is over, then repaint and repeat the process after next season.

PS regarding the rotors, my sales manager believes they might fit but he's looking into it for me. Let's see! Anyway, good learning curve and hopefully this experience will prove useful to some members moving forward lol.

Quick Reply: Painted Brake Calipers - Wear