Sponsored by: Road Spy

First Time CL Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time CL Experience

I read a lot of negative comments regarding the CLs and what a PITA they are to deal with. Having just taken delivery of a new TTS with the "dreaded" CLs, I thought I would share my experience.

First, I did spend a grand or so acquiring the proper tools; 1) collapsable breaker bar, 2) 600 ft lbs torque wrench, 3) Castrol aluminum paste & 4) torque multiplier, 5) big red ***** . Didn't really need the multiplier but wanted it anyway!

I took the opportunity to learn about the CLs to rotate my tires side to side. Bottom line; I have no idea what the fuss is all about! Sure, getting the routine down took a few minutes and changing the rears took me longer (first axle I did). With the proper tools, it's easy-peasy! Messing with the paste is the biggest PITA, but then, I was probably too cautious.

I'd have no problem or fear of taking a long trip with these. In fact, we went to Porsche Palooza a few week-ends ago. I packed the breaker bar, wrench, guide and paste in the frunk. That way, if I got a flat, I'm basically in the same position as a car with regular wheels. I can R&R the wheel myself anywhere and get a tire. No need to have to find a dealer.

Hope this helps and glad I went for the CLs!

Your opinion and experience may differ.......and that's OK with me!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mounted my winter set of TTS CL's two weeks ago. My 40" breaker bar needed an extension, which was easily solved with a 6' galvanized steel pipe. Without the extension the 1000 ft lb breaker bar was bending without loosening the hub. With the extension, one hand of relatively easy pressure was sufficient to loosen the hub. Next time I'll get another center lock removal nut so I don't have to switch it between the torque wrench and breaker bar. Removing the aluminum grease from my hands was the toughest part of the job. GF held the brake and steering wheel so I did not use a depressor. Did not really need the mounting guide. Just take care not to tilt the wheel when removing/mounting it.

Except for the wheel dismount/mount guide, the 200-600 ft lb torque wrench and breaker bar were about $400, but use your AMEX points if you want.

Just follow manual and no problem. Actually, the CL's will take less time than five lugs to change.

I second I'mAllIn's last two comments. Thanks to Paver for the excellent video of the process!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:29 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
I read a lot of negative comments regarding the CLs and what a PITA they are to deal with. Having just taken delivery of a new TTS with the "dreaded" CLs, I thought I would share my experience.

First, I did spend a grand or so acquiring the proper tools; 1) collapsable breaker bar, 2) 600 ft lbs torque wrench, 3) Castrol aluminum paste & 4) torque multiplier, 5) big red ***** . Didn't really need the multiplier but wanted it anyway!

I took the opportunity to learn about the CLs to rotate my tires side to side. Bottom line; I have no idea what the fuss is all about! Sure, getting the routine down took a few minutes and changing the rears took me longer (first axle I did). With the proper tools, it's easy-peasy! Messing with the paste is the biggest PITA, but then, I was probably too cautious.

I'd have no problem or fear of taking a long trip with these. In fact, we went to Porsche Palooza a few week-ends ago. I packed the breaker bar, wrench, guide and paste in the frunk. That way, if I got a flat, I'm basically in the same position as a car with regular wheels. I can R&R the wheel myself anywhere and get a tire. No need to have to find a dealer.

Hope this helps and glad I went for the CLs!

Your opinion and experience may differ.......and that's OK with me!
Agree.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndrewP

Just follow manual and no problem. Actually, the CL's will take less time than five lugs to change.
ahh no way will CL's take less time than 5 lugs.....especially not with a pneumatic or electric torque wrench...
Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 PM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have a point, BUT, changing wheels on a (5) lug car is so toyota corolla! Swapping a CL wheel is an experience to be savored, not rushed !
Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
You may have a point, BUT, changing wheels on a (5) lug car is so toyota corolla! Swapping a CL wheel is an experience to be savored, not rushed !
To each his or her own on CL vs. 5 lug. One of the best parts of the experience for me was getting more connected to the design and engineering. For me the TTS is about enjoyment, a lifelong passion for the 911 and respect for the design and engineering.

Quick Reply: First Time CL Experience