Sponsored by: Road Spy

Winter tires- Sotto Zero vs Michelin Alpin

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Thanks for your help. I found the correct winter tire sizes from Porsche and other members of Renlist. The Michelins are not sold out just somewhat limited. Michelin confirmed this and I found them at Discount Tire Co. After doing so my dealer confirmed they can install them as they are indeed N rated and the same size. FYI, I tried calling and online chatting with Tire rack and could never get and answer. In fact one rep hung up on me when I asked about the tires? The Porsche dealer actually told me that he was getting his info from Tire rack so seams like bad info out there to force an easy sale of the Pirelli.
When I bought my PA4s last week, TireRack said there was only one 295 rear PA4 they had in stock in the entire country. Stock was so low that to assemble a set of 4 winter PA4s for me for the 991 TTS, they had to ship the tires from three different warehouses -- one for the fronts and one for each of the rears.

Well I just went back on Tirerack.com and as expected, the PA4s are now sold out and unavailable in the 991 TTS sizes. I am sure they still have the fronts but the rears are sold out at least in a set of 2. So I guess people will be getting the Sottos -- or looking somewhere other than Tirerack for this winter.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:44 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
When I bought my PA4s last week, TireRack said there was only one 295 rear PA4 they had in stock in the entire country. Stock was so low that to assemble a set of 4 winter PA4s for me for the 991 TTS, they had to ship the tires from three different warehouses -- one for the fronts and one for each of the rears.

Well I just went back on Tirerack.com and as expected, the PA4s are now sold out and unavailable in the 991 TTS sizes. I am sure they still have the fronts but the rears are sold out at least in a set of 2. So I guess people will be getting the Sottos -- or looking somewhere other than Tirerack for this winter.
I have purchased many tires over the years from Tire Rack, but I don't appreciate that the Michelin Alpins for our cars seem to have disappeared front their web site (not just shown as out of stock; when I searched yesterday, only the Pirellis appeared). I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly, as I had been thinking of snows a couple months ago and had toyed with the idea of buying them in early December when my order unexpectedly moved up to the 12/12 build date from what was to be February. Not showing all the options (even if out of stock for the season) irks me, if Damon is following this thread.
On a lark, I emailed the dealer yesterday and they have a set now on hold for me. Same price as online was as well. Dealer told me they always order a couple extra sets since they tend to sell out. Pleasant surprise. So, they'll mount the Alpins when the car arrives. I plan to leave then on the stock tires and now have to pick a set of summer wheels. I really like the look of those Velos S3s - anyone have them/thoughts/other suggestions? Plan on going back to summer tires April/May time frame.
Happy New Year as well!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have purchased many tires over the years from Tire Rack, but I don't appreciate that the Michelin Alpins for our cars seem to have disappeared front their web site (not just shown as out of stock; when I searched yesterday, only the Pirellis appeared). I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly, as I had been thinking of snows a couple months ago and had toyed with the idea of buying them in early December when my order unexpectedly moved up to the 12/12 build date from what was to be February. Not showing all the options (even if out of stock for the season) irks me, if Damon is following this thread.
On a lark, I emailed the dealer yesterday and they have a set now on hold for me. Same price as online was as well. Dealer told me they always order a couple extra sets since they tend to sell out. Pleasant surprise. So, they'll mount the Alpins when the car arrives. I plan to leave then on the stock tires and now have to pick a set of summer wheels. I really like the look of those Velos S3s - anyone have them/thoughts/other suggestions? Plan on going back to summer tires April/May time frame.
Happy New Year as well!
You were doing it correctly on the website. The issue is just that the rear sized PA4 have sold out. At least from tire rack. As I said when I ordered mine there was only one left in the entire country according to Tire Rack.

The irony of this thread is that I am putting Sottos on my other car - 2015 AMG E63 S sedan because the PA4s do not come in the staggered OEM sizes for that car. Sottos are the only winter tire that does come in that car's OEM staggered sizes.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

You were doing it correctly on the website. The issue is just that the rear sized PA4 have sold out. At least from tire rack. As I said when I ordered mine there was only one left in the entire country according to Tire Rack.

The irony of this thread is that I am putting Sottos on my other car - 2015 AMG E63 S sedan because the PA4s do not come in the staggered OEM sizes for that car. Sottos are the only winter tire that does come in that car's OEM staggered sizes.
That's my point. Sold out for the year is one thing; pretending they don't exist doesn't seem very user friendly to me. I was also surprised the dealer is charging within (literally) a few dollars of the online prices from TR and discount tire (when they still showed up). With no shipping, they'll be cheaper for me at the dealer. That's a bit of a surprise.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

That's my point. Sold out for the year is one thing; pretending they don't exist doesn't seem very user friendly to me. I was also surprised the dealer is charging within (literally) a few dollars of the online prices from TR and discount tire (when they still showed up). With no shipping, they'll be cheaper for me at the dealer. That's a bit of a surprise.
Good deal!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Good deal!
Agreed. Why bother with a third party and pay shipping when the dealer charges the same price? I would have never thought of it if Tire Rack hadn't eliminated the info about the Alpins from their site to push the Pirellis they have in stock, but I'll never buy again without checking ALL sources for the best price.
Oops.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Agreed. Why bother with a third party and pay shipping when the dealer charges the same price? I would have never thought of it if Tire Rack hadn't eliminated the info about the Alpins from their site to push the Pirellis they have in stock, but I'll never buy again without checking ALL sources for the best price.
Oops.
It is funny that Tirerack did that because with some tires that they do not have in stock, such as the rear Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s for the 991 TTS and GT3, the site states that the fronts are available but the rears are backordered. Perhaps they are just not ordering any more of the rear Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s for this winter.

When ordering sometime from Tirerack I usually call. I have found their sales folks to be pretty helpful.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

It is funny that Tirerack did that because with some tires that they do not have in stock, such as the rear Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s for the 991 TTS and GT3, the site states that the fronts are available but the rears are backordered. Perhaps they are just not ordering any more of the rear Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s for this winter.

When ordering sometime from Tirerack I usually call. I have found their sales folks to be pretty helpful.
Well, I found out today my car didn't make either Christmas boat and is still sitting in Emden, which means it won't be ready for delivery until sometime in February.
I think I'll just wait till the first decent day I'm off, pick it up and baby it the 90 miles home, then park it till spring.
I will buy winter tires early next year though! Lesson learned.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Well, I found out today my car didn't make either Christmas boat and is still sitting in Emden, which means it won't be ready for delivery until sometime in February.
I think I'll just wait till the first decent day I'm off, pick it up and baby it the 90 miles home, then park it till spring.
I will buy winter tires early next year though! Lesson learned.
Yikes. Sorry for the long delay.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Yikes. Sorry for the long delay.
It hasn't exactly been a smooth build process, so no surprise. The weather sucks here now anyhow and I'm not that keen on breaking it in in bad weather.
But thanks.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:59 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rjn1
TTS Centre lock winter wheel and tyre official specs are:

Front: 8.5 J x 20 ET 51
Rear: 11 J x 20 ET 59
Front: 245/35 R 20 91V M+S
Rear: 295/30 R 20 97V M+S

Michelin and Pirelli both make a winter 295/30/20 97V N0.

Michelin and Pirelli both make a 245/35/20 N0 91V.

So as usual the dealer is wrong. Michelin are N rated and fit stock wheels perfectly. Narrower rear is totally wrong and possibly dangerous.

If you were keeping the summer wheels which sometime are 11.5J at the rear, sometime 11J, and just swapping the tyres, the front are the same, the rear tyres are 10mm narrower but will still fit on an 11.5J wheel. 295 and 305 are ideal widths for 11.5J. 285 and 295 widths are ideal for 11J.
Not sure what is wrong with a narrower rear. Porsche in their hand book says put a 295 rear for a winter tire. My past cars in the manual said the same. Good one size smaller in the rear.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:14 PM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jem7v
Not sure what is wrong with a narrower rear. Porsche in their hand book says put a 295 rear for a winter tire. My past cars in the manual said the same. Good one size smaller in the rear.
I thought the OP was being advised by the OPC to fit a narrower rear tyre when compared with the front tyre, rather than just the recommended winter tyres, which when compared to summer tyres are 10 mm narrower at the rear, but the front is still narrower than the rear.

Last edited by rjn1; 01-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

OK all I can say is WOW. Seams crazy but after driving on the PZeros in the 40 degrees the last 10 days, I got the Alpin P4 put on today and its like a brand new car. I'm guessing this is what the summer tires are like in the summer. BTW I had Sotto Zerros on my GTS previously and the P4s seam much better IMO. Quieter, smoother ride and more responsive. Of course the TTS is more responsive than the GTS in general
Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW I have Sotto Zero's on my Audi DD and they are better on wet/dry pavement than the Michelin but worse on snow and ice. I'm going back to the Michelin or Blizzaks.

Quick Reply: Winter tires- Sotto Zero vs Michelin Alpin