Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo S Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:23 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've paid little attention to the quality of the camera/picture up until this thread as it has never presented as any form of issue worthy of attention to be honest. Other thing is I've been far too busy enjoying the incredible performance and the general brilliance of the car to get bogged down micro analyzing reported problems of this nature. That said, taking a closer look at the picture of mine today, mine is much as JustJ describes and is as good as you would expect, but if it is really that annoyingly bad OP then I would recommend taking it up with Porsche warranty. Chances are there is genuinely something wrong with it or, it belongs to something else.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:24 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by Just J
I have two thick yellow lines that show my backup path (bending if I turn the wheel). I do NOT have the green/orange/red lines shown in the second pic above. Also, my lines converge toward each other toward the top, as parallel lines do when receding in the distance (and as the green lines do in the first picture); they do NOT form a rectangle as they do in the second picture. And overall picture quality is far better than the second picture, close to if not better than the first picture.

Grainy, but effective for me.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ I see the same kind of image that AndrewP sees.

Could it be that there are two versions of the backup camera and/or the software that goes with it?? The jaggies and mush in the one wrs posted a picture of are terrible...I'd be complaining about that too but the one I have seems pretty usable. Better than the one my better half has in her Mazda anyway.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:06 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
^^^ I see the same kind of image that AndrewP sees.

Could it be that there are two versions of the backup camera and/or the software that goes with it?? The jaggies and mush in the one wrs posted a picture of are terrible...I'd be complaining about that too but the one I have seems pretty usable. Better than the one my better half has in her Mazda anyway.
I think WRS must have an aftermarket camera since he has an early TTS. My camera looks like the one just posted with the yellow lines that curve when you turn the steering wheel. It's adequate and I'm glad I have it. Just not as clear as other cameras out there. You can even get higher resolution cameras aftermarket - I did that with my E92 M3 where cameras were never made available OEM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
I think WRS must have an aftermarket camera since he has an early TTS. My camera looks like the one just posted with the yellow lines that curve when you turn the steering wheel. It's adequate and I'm glad I have it. Just not as clear as other cameras out there. You can even get higher resolution cameras aftermarket - I did that with my E92 M3 where cameras were never made available OEM.
Dealer said it was a Porsche camera but they added it. So it's probably a crappy camera is all. My car is 9/13 build date.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

I thought that picture looked odd, definitely didn't look like any of my porsche back up camera graphics. But on the bright side, at least you have some visual cues!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by disden
I thought that picture looked odd, definitely didn't look like any of my porsche back up camera graphics. But on the bright side, at least you have some visual cues!
Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, I can use it and it does work for backing into spaces. The car also came with a 9500ci which I also find useful and we know that's not a Porsche option but the install was well done. So I might be able to improve the picture by changing the camera or updating the software. I can check with Porsche.
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
I've paid little attention to the quality of the camera/picture up until this thread as it has never presented as any form of issue worthy of attention to be honest. Other thing is I've been far too busy enjoying the incredible performance and the general brilliance of the car to get bogged down micro analyzing reported problems of this nature. That said, taking a closer look at the picture of mine today, mine is much as JustJ describes and is as good as you would expect, but if it is really that annoyingly bad OP then I would recommend taking it up with Porsche warranty. Chances are there is genuinely something wrong with it or, it belongs to something else.
Ha.... love this response. But, what makes me jealous is that I can't contribute (yet) to the critique of the back-up camera because my car has not arrived yet and I have no such camera to either brag about or enjoy complaining about!. My car is on a boat and it should be at the dealer by end of this month. XPEL and 9500ci install and then I'm good to go! First thing I'm gonna do is a thorough evaluation and critique of the back up camera ------- NOT! But, I will get to that... in time. Then I can add constructively to this and several other threads. I'm mostly looking forward to adding my unique insights to the threads about how much fun the car is though.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Oh, and one more thing (substitute "German" for "Italian"):

Old 10-18-2014, 08:02 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I back up the old fashion way looking behind me and in the mirrors without relying on the electronics.

The Navigation system in this car sucks. It is missing so many streets and POIs. I am using my $300 Garmin which runs circles around what P provided us for $200K.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:17 PM
wrs
Instructor

Figured out why I had such a crappy picture. That is just one view. There is a button on the passenger side of the console but below it which changes the camera view. My wife discovered it. There are several views available that can be scrolled through with the button. OK, maybe now I have discovered everything about the car. The PCM is also now perfect due to the latest software update that got put on today.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good to know

Originally Posted by wrs
Figured out why I had such a crappy picture. That is just one view. There is a button on the passenger side of the console but below it which changes the camera view. My wife discovered it. There are several views available that can be scrolled through with the button. OK, maybe now I have discovered everything about the car. The PCM is also now perfect due to the latest software update that got put on today.
Thanks to Mrs. wrs. I'll check out that function. The car amazes me. I discovered the auto high beam function by chance when i first got the car, and that was after reading the entire owner's manual. One suggestion for Porsche is to re-write the manual so that it is easier to understand. I've had more than a few occasions to re-read about functions in the manual several times because of some very confusing instructions.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wrs
Can you post a pic of the button?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 AM
wrs
Instructor

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Can you post a pic of the button?
Looks aftermarket to me, in the manual for the PCM it explicitly states that the rear view camera isn't available for sports cars. I think it's an option on the 2015 but not the 2014 so this is yet another AM accessory that this generous owner put on the car for me.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2014, 09:53 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

That button certainly looks like an aftermarket add-on.

I guess I'm in the minority: happy to use the back-up camera view as intended, no buttons needed here.

Totally agree, the NAV system definitely isn't the greatest...

Quick Reply: Turbo S Backup Camera