Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:51 PM
MMH78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1 Excellent advice.

Instead of opticoat, I'd opt for a nano coating like CQuartz Finest or Modesta. Nano is a far superior technology than opti, and it has much better shine and depth
Do you suggest clear bra on top of nano coating? Does nano coating serves the purpose of clear bra? Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Xpel Ultimate on my frunk hood and lower bumper, but not the fenders. So it provides a good comparison of the surfaces w/ and w/o the film. Note that the non-Xpel surfaces on the car are coated with cquartz.

The first picture shows a comparison of water repellency. It had been raining and I just took the shot after I got home. Not a perfect comparison since the curvature of the two regions hood/fender are different. But it makes it pretty clear that the Xpel does not repel water like the ceramic coating.

The second picture shows a comparison of smoothness. left is w/o Xpel, right with Xpel. Bit hard to tell with the lighting, but trust me the film is less smooth. But then you'd expect that. It's a film after all.

Anyway, I used Xpel due to all of the highway driving I have to do combined with the fact these surfaces are low vs my last car. I'll probably have the film removed from my frunk hood though. I was on the fence when I first had it added. I just like how it looks better w/o it. We'll see how many chips it saves me from on the lower part of the hood in the coming months.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DaveChapin;11665760]I have Xpel Ultimate on my frunk hood and lower bumper, but not the fenders. So it provides a good comparison of the surfaces w/ and w/o the film. Note that the non-Xpel surfaces on the car are coated with cquartz.

I think there have been suggestions here to use cquartz on top of the film? Have you considered that and wouldn't that bring the smoothness back?

Great photos -- appreciate your insight. I'm still exploring my options.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

Fred, I have heard people do that, but it won't address the human visible finish difference in the film. You can't polish this stuff. It might address the water repellency (if it really adheres); but that by itself wouldn't be enough for me to be worth w/ the cost & hassle of getting the film coated.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH78
Do you suggest clear bra on top of nano coating? Does nano coating serves the purpose of clear bra? Thanks in advance
No..you don't want anything under the clear bra...just clean swirl-free paint. Nano coating is very beneficial OVER clear bra. It fills in the pores and allows great self-cleaning of the surface, adds more gloss and depth to the film, and further protects the film's topcoat.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the entire front end (front fascia, headlights, hood & front fenders) of my 2014 TT done in XPEL. I also have the mirrors done along with the entire rocker panel on each side carrying back to replace the Porsche stone guards (which I had removed). This is a continuous run from the rocker panels up the side and provides more coverage near the rear fender intakes. I also have a strip behind the rear wheels following the fender lines.

As has been stated the entire car was stripped of any previous polish/wax, de-greased, clay bar'ed and all minor surface scratches removed before the application. After the completion of the XPEL the entire car was polished with Opti-Coat (http://www.opti-coat.com/

At the recent PCA Concurs event, the judges did not know the car had been wrapped in XPEL. This is a testament to how good it can look if the correct preparation work is done in advance.

I also did this on my wife's X3 which is a daily driver on the highway to and from work every day. After two years it still looks great!!

Highly recommended!!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not looking into a clear bra, then I would go with what has been stated earlier and have your car taken to a reputable detailer who speicalizes in paint correction and protection. Have that person do a new car prep with coating. With a black vehicle, I would spring for Modesta, and at least do BC-04, if not go all the way to BC-05. These coatings are scratch resistant, and offer a depth of shine like an endless pool. They are heat cured to the paint and are rated to at least 3 years if not more with proper care and maintenance, which your detailer should be able to provide using specific products that Modesta has for their coatings. You can also coat the wheels to keep the even cleaner, and lets face it, wheels are bombarded by contaminants.

You can also coat over a clear bra as stated.

Modesta will be the higher prices option, but you can go without waxing after applications.

Bruce
Carolina Auto Image
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my 991 TTS flatbedded to Detailing Dynamics from the dealer. Put on full XPEL clear bra over the entire car immediately. The car had about 4 rock chips from prior test drives that were fixed by DD before the application of the XPEL. I did not have a nano coating put over my XPEL. DD is not an advocate of that.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Just don't trade it in after 6 months for the next big thing like many do,after putting all that work/effort and money.

Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Just don't trade it in after 6 months for the next big thing like many do,after putting all that work/effort and money.

Enjoy!
No way! The 991 TTS was a financial reach for me. Can't take mega losses on trade ins.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Nano coatings work great on all film. It's the same as wax. It's true you want nothing UNDER the film. I used 22ple on my 2014 Italia that has a full XPEL ultimate wrap and the stuff is unreal. Nothing sticks to it. Even after a day at the track the car looks freshly detailed. Im waiting to get my 15 TTS 22ple'd although I've had the paint done and the car wrapped as you can't get it wet for 3-5 days while it cures and our weather sucks right now. I use the turbo for a DD so had I not taken delivery of the car in December I would have done the coating at the same time.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:41 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had Expel Ultimate done on full front then Opticoat. I have used BlacklFire and Ultima Paint Guard Plus on the car since and the additional shine is noticeable. Be certain to have the wheels treated with OptiCoat or equivalent, as it makes them very easy to clean. The Expel has definitely saved the finish from chipping, so has been worth it for me. Rhodium silver is not a color that pops like dark finishes, but it is shiny enough for me and the Expel surface is not as smooth as the stock clearcoat portions of the car. My basalt black Pan GTS finish does pop with the BlackFire though. I'll check out 22ple and Modesta next time I talk with my detailer.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection