Sponsored by: Road Spy

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Paint Protection

As I have mentioned in a few other posts - I'm taking delivery of 2015 TTS in Nov. This is my first car "like this" so pardon some of my rookie questions - I'm trying not to mess it up too bad. My question here is what do I need to do for paint protection? Do I need a clear bra (I've read much about them - pros and cons; and my car is black!)? If I do need one, do I need it from day 1 or can I wait a bit before doing that? Is there other things one should do? I remember on my M3 getting a gel coat or paint projection put on. I have very, very few stone dents or paint chips on that car -- quite pristine -- but that car was babied pretty well and never driven in winter or snow and such.

With a black car, I'm picky about how it looks. I think black looks great but ONLY if it is really clean and well polished. So, that is my intent with this car again. What is everyone doing? Seemed to me like clear bra's were sort of standard for all you guys?

Thanks for your help. I'm having a tough time with this wait!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

without question, get a reputable detailer to do a full paint correction so the black is mirror perfect. If you decide on clear bra, do it next with no wax or sealant on, in the first few days so you have perfect paint underneath. If you decide no clear bra, get a good sealant like opticoat. Opticoat/equivalent can also go right over your clear bra.

This is what I would do for a black car. I had a Phantom Black Pearl R8 that I did not get a clear bra on, and had 2 little white paint chips from highway debris that I couldn't keep my eyes off of. Really regretted not protecting it better!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my car wrapped with Xpel Ultimate a week after I bought the car. I'd do it ASAP before your first rock chip appears.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been debating this myself. I had Autoglym Lifeshine on my M5 which, to be honest, seemed completely useless after a month. My RS6 had Gyeon MOHS+ which actually seemed quite good. I don't think it really offers any scratch or stone chip protection but it did seem to make the paint quite hydrophobic and a simple wash did seem to make the car look like it had had a wash and hand wax. This is still the case on my partner's Range Rover.

There is no substitute for a clear wrap tho. so although I'm currently booked in for my detailer to put a Gyeon coating on I'm also talking to Paintshield about a Bra + sides. It's a shame a clear wrap isn't a few hundred pounds / dollars!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

My 991tt cab and 16m are both black. Both were paint corrected, detailed, then 100% covered in clear bra. I can drive them with impunity and NEVER worry about swirls, scratches, etc.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Thanks for this insight guys. Seems odd that you have to do this, but I get it. Do I even want to ask the cost of doing this? Would my dealer do this - or would they just rip my face off? I am reading that installation is extremely critical. How does one -- without trial and error -- find a good installation guy?

One thing I don't quite understand is "paint correcting"? Is this something you would do on a brand new car? This is just machine polishing or something more? We are not really "correcting" the paint are we?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The car will have some orange peel and swirls from the factory which on black, you really want to get rid of. Sometimes there are minor defects from shipping. In general the detailers at dealerships are the WORST. A lot of real enthusiasts ask the dealer to leave the shipping stickers on the cars and don't let the dealership even wash the car. Now usually only a real car nut even looks that closely at a paint job, but we are talking about a Porsche.

If I had white I would not be this meticulous, for example. On my current TTS which is non metallic blue, I put on the clear bra and have optic oat pending without needing any significant correction ( mostly some minimal orange peel).
Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did entire front including all of fenders, full hood, bumper, mirrors, A pillars, entire rear quarter panels and it was around $2100.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

3m clear bra covering the entire front including full hood( to avoid the mid hood line) and the fenders up to the doors is absolutely mandatory. If you do not , you will end up with lots of stone chips that look awful. Get the bra installed before picking up the car since you do not want to drive it and possibly damage the car prior to the bra being installed.Cost should be around $1000.

Gorgeous car. Enjoy.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I did the same thing, had the car delivered straight to my paint protection guy and had it all wrapped. Only piece without clear bra is the rear engine louvers
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

it does look great on Agate Targa. I just had full front expel and opti-coat.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jamie140
My 991tt cab and 16m are both black. Both were paint corrected, detailed, then 100% covered in clear bra. I can drive them with impunity and NEVER worry about swirls, scratches, etc.
I want to drive with impunity too!!! That sounds like fun. Ok.... I will arrange for all this "protection". Now -- my task it to find the right people to do this work.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Mark Currie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My black 991tts is entirely covered with paint protection. Cost $3500
Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting my TTS covered - full front, sills & half rear arches + wing mirrors by Paintshield in the UK. Quite bloody pricey but they are supposed to be the best in the UK.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
without question, get a reputable detailer to do a full paint correction so the black is mirror perfect. If you decide on clear bra, do it next with no wax or sealant on, in the first few days so you have perfect paint underneath. If you decide no clear bra, get a good sealant like opticoat. Opticoat/equivalent can also go right over your clear bra.

This is what I would do for a black car. I had a Phantom Black Pearl R8 that I did not get a clear bra on, and had 2 little white paint chips from highway debris that I couldn't keep my eyes off of. Really regretted not protecting it better!
+1 Excellent advice.

Instead of opticoat, I'd opt for a nano coating like CQuartz Finest or Modesta. Nano is a far superior technology than opti, and it has much better shine and depth

Quick Reply: Paint Protection