Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

5 Lug conversion to Center Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I like both the Turbo and Turbo S wheels. The Turbos look more aggressive whereas the Turbo S wheels look a bit more elegant/sophisticated. My choice would be a 5-lug Turbo S design but, of course, it doesn't exist.

This discussion reminds me of the GTS discussion on center lock wheels, and, in particular, a comment from RL member DMoore:

Originally Posted by DMoore
From personal experience (2 years with a 997.2 GTS with centerlocks) I will avoid them. I too am waiting for the new 991 GTS, but it may very well be a deal breaker for me if I have to endure the centerlock wheels again. They're the answer to a question that nobody asked - complication for its own sake.
I do think it is absolute garbage that you can get the Turbo wheels on models like the Macan (it's bad enough that they are an option for the 991S/4S). I understand the TT wheels are popular, but that's complete crap on Porsche's part.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:59 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

FWIW, the biggest aesthetic upside surprise for me personally when I took delivery of my 991TT was the with the wheels. Looking at the pictures online they didn't look all that inspiring to me and on the pictures alone I thought perhaps I'd make a mistake in not getting the S wheels. However, i'd say the standard 5-lug turbo wheels look much, MUCH better in person than they do in pictures or on the configurator, 3D view or not.

Hard for me to say exactly why but I instantly liked the look when I saw them up close for the first time. Oh, and they are easier to clean than I expected based on the pictures too...nice bonus
Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, we're here at your service.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
FWIW, the biggest aesthetic upside surprise for me personally when I took delivery of my 991TT was the with the wheels. Looking at the pictures online they didn't look all that inspiring to me and on the pictures alone I thought perhaps I'd make a mistake in not getting the S wheels. However, i'd say the standard 5-lug turbo wheels look much, MUCH better in person than they do in pictures or on the configurator, 3D view or not.

Hard for me to say exactly why but I instantly liked the look when I saw them up close for the first time. Oh, and they are easier to clean than I expected based on the pictures too...nice bonus
Well said. The Turbo wheels are absolute killers in person. A very aggressive, clean look.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

stay away from centerlocks.

Be thankful you have the 5 lug as it is less fooling around with age.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided not to get centerlocks after I read the manual explaining it possibly taking two people to put them on the car and their life expectancy if the car is tracked.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

I ordered the CLs on my upcoming Turbo Cab bc I like how they look. Since I don't change my cars wheels or tires it is irrelevant how difficult or easy one is to change vs the other. Plus, earlier this year I had my wife's cayenne winter wheels swapped for the spring at local tire shop; as they pulled the car out the right rear Turbo II wheel came flying off. I will leave future swaps to the dealer now. Don't care about the cost ; my time wasted dealing with the resulting issues was worth more.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
My turboS has the center locks. I'm in the minority it seems, and would have preferred the 5 lug turbo wheel, but most turboSs come with center lock. Why are they a PITA?
I take it that you've never have to take a wheel off and put it back on yet? Ever had a flat yet with center locks?

If either of these things happen then you will understand.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I ordered the CLs on my upcoming Turbo Cab bc I like how they look. Since I don't change my cars wheels or tires it is irrelevant how difficult or easy one is to change vs the other. Plus, earlier this year I had my wife's cayenne winter wheels swapped for the spring at local tire shop; as they pulled the car out the right rear Turbo II wheel came flying off. I will leave future swaps to the dealer now. Don't care about the cost ; my time wasted dealing with the resulting issues was worth more.
Same here, when I ordered by Turbo S never even considered not getting the CL's. It's what helps distinguish the car for one thing and besides, I can count on one hand the number of flats I've had in 40+ years of driving. No plan on tracking the car either so I won't be switching out wheels/tires on an ongoing basis.
The following users liked this post:
pirate949 (09-17-2020)
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have Turbo S CL's. Easy to keep clean with Opticoat. Got a Precision Tools 200-600 ft.lb. torque wrench and wheel mount and dismount guide. Will get a demo from dealer tech. Most comments on this and other forums say that CL's are very difficult. The manual is very specific about their service at various track intervals, which sounds expensive. Yes, unless one has a brake depressor it takes two to dismount and mount the CL's and I understand that one must hold the steering wheel straight for front changes, so obviously it would take two people. I want the torque wrench primarily to check torque before track sessions. Have wheel and tire insurance so would have dealer do replacement if necessary. Remote repairs would either involve the factory system or plug, which I run with anyway. Basically, I figured that the lighter unsprung weight and the appearance was worth the risk of dealing with the apparently difficult challenge of changing CL's. The apparent difficulty of dismounting/mounting seems incongruous given that CL's were intended for track use, but there are mostly very strong opinions against their use. I'll ring in with my experience when and if I actually have to dismount and mount a CL. Naturally, my bigest concern is protecting the PCCB's.

Last edited by AndrewP; 08-24-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: typo corrections
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this makes me feel a little less violated to have agreed to pay the 5 year wheel and tire warranty. I have the CL's and don't know a damn thing about them!! Any wisdom from you guys with some experience; particularly if there is anything to do on a regular basis to keep problems from happening?
As luck would have it they are building new houses on 3 of the four neighborhood corners I drive by regularly and with my luck I will pick up a nail.

For what is it worth, I agree both sets of wheels in person are drop dead gorgeous. If I had special ordered I may have stayed with the Turbo wheels, myself.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

It's not hard at all. Have done over 30 wheels changes on my RS. I'm a pro. Don't tell anyone, but I kinda prefer them over 5 lug.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
It's not hard at all. Have done over 30 wheels changes on my RS. I'm a pro. Don't tell anyone, but I kinda prefer them over 5 lug.
Agree. Looks to be a lot of fuss over a simple lack of understanding and familiarity. Get a 3 piece 600 wrench and spigot on board...the rest is a piece of cake.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I take it that you've never have to take a wheel off and put it back on yet? Ever had a flat yet with center locks?

If either of these things happen then you will understand.
Midnight on the nj turnpike in my 2011tts, I agree they are a bit of a pia. Not complicated, just a pia.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:56 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my 16 GTS with center locks too. I have the tools and I have the time. I have had a flat maybe 2 times in my life. Don't carry a full size spare anyways. Have the fix a flat with the car if a true ER happens. Unless its a blow out!

Quick Reply: 5 Lug conversion to Center Lock