Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   5 Lug conversion to Center Lock (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/827738-5-lug-conversion-to-center-lock.html)

Super Aries 08-05-2014 04:00 AM

5 Lug conversion to Center Lock

I'm afraid I made the wrong choice with my 991TT wheels option,
is it possible to swap the TT standard wheel with the TTS center lock ?

Neuromancer 08-05-2014 11:32 AM

Why do you think this? The 5-lug wheel is much more practical for street and track day use. The 5-lug wheels on my car are gorgeous.

NVRANUF 08-05-2014 12:57 PM

Most guys switch from centre lock to 5-lug.... not the other way!
But anything is possible and there's always a first time!!

:cheers:

carcommander 08-05-2014 10:24 PM

Probably be cheaper to sell yours and buy one with center locks.

Super Aries 08-06-2014 05:01 AM

The TTS center lock wheel looks much better IMO, at the end its just a matter of opinions.
Any idea how much the conversion costs ? or it might be a better idea to look into HRE wheels !

ajag 08-06-2014 09:21 AM

It's a much better idea to get some nice aftermarket wheels than covert.

rotesAuto 08-06-2014 04:44 PM

+1 for HRE

speed21 08-06-2014 08:11 PM

OP touch wood I haven't had any issues with my CL's and hope I don't. But there is no denying they are a beautiful looking set up in comparison to the stock multispokes which are hard to love imho. So I understand your current thinking. The stock TT multispokes just look far too sedate for the car....more like something you would see on a limo....plus they are now on cheaper Macan suv's and god only know's what next.

I would agree that the HRE's are logically the best (and only way forward) outside of trading your car for one with the CL's. May well answer for HRE's current 10K price tag. My bet is I think they know they own the 5 stud stock boys lol. If I were you I would pony up and put the HRE on asap. GL. Post us pics when they are on ok.

Super Aries 08-07-2014 04:15 AM

Well said speed21 and agreed 100% thanx,
will look into HRE P101.

speed21 08-07-2014 04:34 AM

...hate to say it but HRE have you over a barrell......only other alternative is something cheaper but tbh from all offerings i've seen to date none look nearly as good as the HRE imho. It is an expensive car and deserves at least to have the right wheels on it. No point putting on something that is heavy either...or cast. You are better off going lighter and always stay with forged.. Modulars are never as strong or light.....some look ok but that's all.....and don't perform like a proper forged monoblock. You may have to just bite the bullet, grin and bear it.

NVRANUF 08-07-2014 10:11 AM

Ironic, centre lock wheel systems were developed strictly for race track applications but the true racey guys in the Pcar street crowd shun and dis them in favour of 5 lugs, while those in the street crowd that seem to embrace the concept do so based on aesthetic appeal...

Porsche marketing wizardry at work!!

For the record: I own a race car with centre lock wheels and while I like the look of centre lock wheels on street cars.. I wouldn't want them on my street car!

:cheers:

smuoio 08-07-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Super Aries (Post 11554770)
I'm afraid I made the wrong choice with my 991TT wheels option,
is it possible to swap the TT standard wheel with the TTS center lock ?

I looked into it. Dealer said it could be done and they specked out the whole thing - cost about 20K (a little more, if I remember), including wheels. Decided to go with OE 5 lug Classic Wheel, instead and use TT Wheels for winter tires.

carcommander 08-07-2014 03:44 PM

It doesn't help you now but I ordered my TT with CL's. It was $3500 or so. I have had many sets of custom wheels and they always end up being a pain. Just MHO.

mdrums 08-22-2014 03:41 AM

Trust me...trust me..you DO NOT want center locks!!! Royal PITA! Even for a street only car you don't want,to have to deal with center locks. FYI the street version of center locks are nothing like the race car version.

TestnDoc 08-22-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 11593389)
Trust me...trust me..you DO NOT want center locks!!! Royal PITA! Even for a street only car you don't want,to have to deal with center locks. FYI the street version of center locks are nothing like the race car version.

My turboS has the center locks. I'm in the minority it seems, and would have preferred the 5 lug turbo wheel, but most turboSs come with center lock. Why are they a PITA?