Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche 911 turbo s ( Daily driver )

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Thomas tad
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 911 turbo s ( Daily driver )

Hello,

My name is Thomas and am a newbie in this forum, and i do have a question regarding the differences between the 911 turbo s and turbo.

I was planning to buy the 911 turbo s, until few friends of mine, have been telling me that the car is not suitable as an every day car or as a daily driver. Thus, they have recommended me to go with just the 911 turbo or even the Carrera. Can anyone consent to this or validate any of the above.

In addition, the 2015 model remained fairly the same as the previous year, i am just wondering well their be any change on the turbo s model? or is it safe for me to just go for it.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't use mine that way currently, but think it would make fine daily driver if need be. It's a very civil drive when not driven in "beast mode" as my son would say. Engine sound is more of a purr than a roar. Mileage is decent, although I have not been able to get close to the advertised 25ish mpg in sport mode, which is how I primarily drive it. It's comfortable on long drives. And of course, it's a blast to drive! And... Welcome to the site!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Welcome Thomas!
Curious why anyone would think "just the 911 turbo" is a more capable daily driver than the 911 turbo s ....
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas tad
I was planning to buy the 911 turbo s, until few friends of mine, have been telling me that the car is not suitable as an every day car or as a daily driver. Thus, they have recommended me to go with just the 911 turbo or even the Carrera.
While there's nothing wrong with the non-S Turbo or any of the Carreras, your friends are nuttier than squirrel turds. My Turbo S is a daily driver and it is sublime. I am constantly amazed at how well Porsche has done at putting that much performance in a car that is so comfortable and livable in day-to-day driving. Year 'round, in any weather, on open roads or in heavy traffic, this car is a joy to drive.

I would say that the only thing that takes any adjustment at all is the PCCBs, which are a little grabbier than iron, but their high performance and low dust are more than worth a little mental recalibration of the brake foot.

If you can swing a Turbo S, go for it - you won't have any regrets (I don't).
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (08-06-2020)
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

My turbo is used as a DD. A turbo S would be fine. They both are very tractable in traffic.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:51 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

I think either would be fantastic. I opted for the TT because I had no interest in the PCCBs. I plan on keeping this car until the next version of Turbo appears, so I really don't want a $20k brake replacement in the future vs $1k for the steels. That whopping 0.1 sec improvement on 0-60 time wasn't worth $20k more in cost for the car AND $20k more for brake repair. I know all the snobs out there will look down on me because I only have a TT, but quite frankly I don't give a damn.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been driving a TT daily for the last month in Europe, as part of the Euro Delivery program. In my opinion, there's no difference between it and a regular non-Turbo... Until you put your foot in it. :-) This car is entirely usable as a DD, no problem.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
I think either would be fantastic. I opted for the TT because I had no interest in the PCCBs. I plan on keeping this car until the next version of Turbo appears, so I really don't want a $20k brake replacement in the future vs $1k for the steels. That whopping 0.1 sec improvement on 0-60 time wasn't worth $20k more in cost for the car AND $20k more for brake repair. I know all the snobs out there will look down on me because I only have a TT, but quite frankly I don't give a damn.
I agree. And exactly what I did too. My difference was 25K.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Welcome Thomas!
Curious why anyone would think "just the 911 turbo" is a more capable daily driver than the 911 turbo s ....
Yes, that's bizarre.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
cartester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Turbo S is fine as a daily driver. It's comfortable out on the open road and in freeway bumper to bumper traffic. The only issue is to be careful where you park it if you want to avoid door dings on a $200K car.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive my TT daily as well -- it's my only ride. I didn't think I wanted to mess with the PCCBs and I wanted a few of the options that aren't standard on the S anyway making the build sheet difference between TT and TTS more or less $25k like others have noted...TT is more than good enough for me and the extra $25k is in the "hmm, now I need a GT3 to complete the set" fund
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Or a vacation, or nice watch, or piece of stereo gear.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP - you will love either one.

For those using it as a DD, how does the car do in rain on stock tires? Any tips?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM
mils123
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thomas, you can't go wrong with either TT or TTS. Agree with 1Gunner on why anyone would think either makes a difference as a daily driver. I also think Just J's comments are 100% on the money. Also, if you keep waiting for the upgrades on next generations to purchase the car, you are missing out on what is available and the joys of driving the current TT or TTS models. I have a deeper appreciation for my TTS everyday.

I think most people on this forum can afford either the TT or TTS. As you have seen in the comments, it's matter of your comfort level and principles. I initially was going to purchase the TT especially because I really didn't think the PCCBs were something I was interested in. But, after pricing out the TT with all of the options, it was approaching the TTS price so I purchased the TTS. No regrets. I also love the PCCBs.

Only dilemma you will have after you purchase your TT or TTS will be what aftermarket add on you will consider.

[QUOTE]For those using it as a DD, how does the car do in rain on stock tires? Any tips?/QUOTE]
Drove the car in rain, no issues with stock tires. I will not drive it in snow with stock tires. Will drive my SUV in snow.

disden, trust me, no one is looking down on you.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

My TT is a DD and is amazing. The most user friendly super car you can purchase today.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 turbo s ( Daily driver )