Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche 911 turbo s ( Daily driver )

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

As a 991 TTS owner I can tell you unequivocally that the car can easily be used as a daily driver. The car is very docile under you push hard on the accelerator. If you don't it drives like any other 6 cylinder car. The only difference between the TTS and a more regular car is that at first the PCCBs are a little grabby when cold.

One issue that you will encounter on either the Turbo or the TTS are 20 inch wheels with low profile tires. If winter weather causes huge potholes to open up they could certainly trash a wheel and tire so I definitely scan for potholes as best I can. Bear in mind, the TT and TTS are sports cars. They are low to the ground and you feel the bumps in the road in a way that you won't in a big sedan. It is not punishing but it is quite firm on New York City roads in a way that my E63 S is not. I don't mind it but some will. If you need a soft, cushy ride no 991 will fit the bill.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 991 TT/ TTS can absolutely be used as a daily driver in the tri-state area. I drive my TT from Long Island to Manhattan every day. It's quite a comfortable car. Definitely a sports car, but not an unreasonably harsh or jarring ride. As has been mentioned, you will need to be vigilant about the potholes (to the extent possible).
Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Too funny. Thread turning from "can I drive this car everyday to work etc" to "should I wait and get the new look"

For God sake didn't the new 991 turbo just come out. 1-2 years ago. I just got a MY 15 TTS and could care less if they are changing the headlights etc. maybe I'm odd in that way. After all this spring I bought a MY 14 Italia and that car is about to be replaced with an all new turbo in 2016 but I love it and waiting would have been just depriving myself from that joy for 2 years or more.

About the DD? I've used my TTS as a daily for nearly a month in terrible weather and (I just put on alpins on it) and it's fantastic. I'm just trying to get past 2000 miles so I can really get on it. I agree you have to watch for potholes but that's true in all sports cars really.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How are you all getting alpin's for your cars? I went on tirerack and through my dealer and even a local shop here, none of them could get me alpins. So I had to go with sottozeros.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Too funny. Thread turning from "can I drive this car everyday to work etc" to "should I wait and get the new look"

For God sake didn't the new 991 turbo just come out.

..waiting would have been just depriving myself from that joy for 2 years or more.
Well that's what I thought too. Majority of deliveries here were 2014 onward. First stock trickled in very late 2013. Feb 2015 and folks are worries about gen 2 turbo? LOL. Dealer here is talking very late 2016, and 2017 for majority of deliveries anyway. Wow. The price some put on living now versus putting their lives on hold. At USA's peppercorn pricing structure "too funny" is a monumental understatement!

Last edited by speed21; 02-03-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
How are you all getting alpin's for your cars? I went on tirerack and through my dealer and even a local shop here, none of them could get me alpins. So I had to go with sottozeros.
The PA4s sold out for our car in mid December. I bought 2 of the last 3 rear tires Tirerack had for this winter. The fronts are available. The rears are what is sold out.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdogtex
I did not know about the brake job cost when I bought my 991 TTS. Had I known I would have gone with the TT. I'm thinking about selling it.....
If you are interested in trading your 991 Turbo for my new E63AMG Model S
(5.5 L, 577 HP, 590 Ft. Lbs Torque, 850 Total Miles) plus a pile of cash,
PM me for details and photos. Wifey says too much car for her.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Originally Posted by sdg1871
The PA4s sold out for our car in mid December. I bought 2 of the last 3 rear tires Tirerack had for this winter. The fronts are available. The rears are what is sold out.
Not EXACTLY: They are sold out only at tire rack. That is true and Porsche NA uses tirerack as thier distributor (from my service and parts manager). I bought Aplins at a different national chain (discount tire company) in mid January and just had them installed about 10 days ago. To find this out I actually called Michalin.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Not EXACTLY: They are sold out only at tire rack. That is true and Porsche NA uses tirerack as thier distributor (from my service and parts manager). I bought Aplins at a different national chain (discount tire company) in mid January and just had them installed about 10 days ago. To find this out I actually called Michalin.
I was only referring to availability on Tirerack. Good to know Discount Tire Company still has PA4s in stock.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
If you are interested in trading your 991 Turbo for my new E63AMG Model S
(5.5 L, 577 HP, 590 Ft. Lbs Torque, 850 Total Miles) plus a pile of cash,
PM me for details and photos. Wifey says too much car for her.
I have both cars. Both are incredible. TTS is more civilized, precise and easy to drive. E63 S is a wild beast especially with Renntech tune. As modded it is as fast as the stock 991TTS in the quarter mile. Handling of course is not nearly as precise as the much lighter and smaller 991 TTS
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are waiting for 991.2, you should buy a lightly used 991 for a big discount instead. If you have the money, just buy a 991 and trade it in two years from now. I own a 991 TTS and love it. I do sometimes with I would have just bought a 997.2 instead and saved the extra cash. I dd my car half the time and and thankful it is comfortable because I never get to actually use it during a dd.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:16 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdg1871
SOB. I should have just held out till Spring. Though it has been consistently now below 30 here since I switched.

Ughhh oh well. I really don't care for these pirellis. Michelin is in another league IMO.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 PM
RCorsa
Pro

SOB. I should have just held out till Spring. Though it has been consistently now below 30 here since I switched.

Ughhh oh well. I really don't care for these pirellis. Michelin is in another league IMO.
I have to agree with you. I had the PSotoZero on my GTS and they were not very good especially compared to the Michelins. I always assumed all winter tires would be the same but the Pa4 are so good I might use them year round unless I decide to do some track time.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with you. I had the PSotoZero on my GTS and they were not very good especially compared to the Michelins. I always assumed all winter tires would be the same but the Pa4 are so good I might use them year round unless I decide to do some track time.
I wouldn't do that. If it gets too hot I think winter tires blow out. Don't quote me on that though.

But yea when I go half throttle maybe 3/4 throttle with the pirelli my car slides a bit even.

Anytime I compare pirelli to the michelin equivalent, the michelin is always 10x better.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Agree on winter use only, but SZ's work fine on my PGTS

I wouldn't do that. If it gets too hot I think winter tires blow out. Don't quote me on that though.

But yea when I go half throttle maybe 3/4 throttle with the pirelli my car slides a bit even.

Anytime I compare pirelli to the michelin equivalent, the michelin is always 10x better.
Sorry for the way OT comment, except to the extent that it relates to DD use. I could not get Michelin Alpins for my PGTS in late Nov so went with Pirelli SZ's. They work as well as any other winter compound tire I have used, although i have not had Alpins on a car for the last 7 years or so. Stopping is impressive on hard-packed snow/ice and turning 8's in a big lot nearby in 4-6 inches of snow was no problem. Also have Pirelli SZ's on the TTS wheels mounted at the factory on TTS wheels and have not tested them on snow or ice yet. SZ's in the dry/cold weather definitely do not have the cornering stability of summer tires in warm weather and I would not use them in warm weather. I would be surprised if Porsche would mount under-performing tires, but that is only my opinion.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 turbo s ( Daily driver )