Sponsored by: Road Spy

Cross Post: C4S or TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts
Default Cross Post: C4S or TT?

I'm posting in both 991 and TT forums just as I go to bed, so I won't be back online until sometime tomorrow.
I have an order in for a '15 C4S that doesn't lock for a few weeks, tentatively due in late July/August. I found out late today I can get a TT allocation for late summer/early fall ("September"). The C4S is configured so the sticker is very close to $140K, making the delta on a TT I would order around $25K. That amount of money is not insignificant to me, but as I expect to own either car for several years, will not be the deciding factor.
I'm all ears (eyes) for thoughts, + or - for each choice. The main "advantage" of the C4S to me is the available MT (my preference), but it's not a deal breaker for the TT. Even an old goat like me has to admit how impressive the PDK is.
Any thoughts welcome. I have driven 991 C2S (PDK) and C4S (PDK and MT) but not the 991TT. The last turbo I drove was a 997 TTS, which felt very fast coming from a 993.
I'm checking the insurance price change, but would appreciate any info on differential in upkeep, etc. I plan to keep either car at least 4-5 years or so.
I'm leaning to the TT, but interested in hearing from current owners of either/both.
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm posting in both 991 and TT forums just as I go to bed, so I won't be back online until sometime tomorrow. I have an order in for a '15 C4S that doesn't lock for a few weeks, tentatively due in late July/August. I found out late today I can get a TT allocation for late summer/early fall ("September"). The C4S is configured so the sticker is very close to $140K, making the delta on a TT I would order around $25K. That amount of money is not insignificant to me, but as I expect to own either car for several years, will not be the deciding factor. I'm all ears (eyes) for thoughts, + or - for each choice. The main "advantage" of the C4S to me is the available MT (my preference), but it's not a deal breaker for the TT. Even an old goat like me has to admit how impressive the PDK is. Any thoughts welcome. I have driven 991 C2S (PDK) and C4S (PDK and MT) but not the 991TT. The last turbo I drove was a 997 TTS, which felt very fast coming from a 993. I'm checking the insurance price change, but would appreciate any info on differential in upkeep, etc. I plan to keep either car at least 4-5 years or so. I'm leaning to the TT, but interested in hearing from current owners of either/both. Thanks!
I drove a c4s and a tts back to back, not even close. Interestingly beside the obvious power difference, the rear wheel steering is AMAZING. hands down.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Not even close.....get the turbo....it will blow you away
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Not even close.....get the turbo....it will blow you away
Yep. I was in the same position. 4500 miles in, absolutely no regrets at paying the extra money for a Turbo (S, in my case). Fantastic car.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been a confirmed clutch-pedal-or-die driver "forever". The PDK in the TT has made a believer out of me though -- it's PFM...can't say enough good things about it...and don't forget chrono sport so you get launch mode...muahahaha!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Thanks. TTS a little too pricey for me and I wasn't interested in PCCB or center locks. I expected positive feedback here (and glad to see it) but also quite + on 991 forum.
I'm talking with the dealer after work today. I'll report back...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a nicely optioned base TT like I did for 165-170 and you won't regret it one second. As mentioned above, w/ the RWS, the TT is actually lighter in feel than the C4S and better handling, as well as far more powerful.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajag
Get a nicely optioned base TT like I did for 165-170 and you won't regret it one second. As mentioned above, w/ the RWS, the TT is actually lighter in feel than the C4S and better handling, as well as far more powerful.
Two questions:
1. On the LED lights, can you turn off the automatic dimming function for oncoming (and approaching from the rear) traffic. Of course I always dim my lights in these settings, but prefer deciding when to do it myself.
2. PDCC - were you able to drive cars with and without to decide on getting it?
thanks!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

The auto dimming function I find works effectively in all situations. Not sure if you can cancel it but you probably can, but in my experience... why would you!

I'd only consider PDCC if you plan on tracking your car extensively, which I am not...

Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 PM
TK23
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

The auto dimming can be turned off and on. There are three options for the brights: on off and auto. You just cycle through them. I just got my car this week without PDCC. I drove a c4s with and without it and it felt a little artificial over our bumpy chicago roads. I would get it if I was planning to track a lot but in daily driving I certainly don't miss it. The suspension is really good without it.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 or TTS for me, a fully loaded C4S is as expensive as TT, then why not get RWS and more hp, because of the N/A? then why not get a GT3 for the same price.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikemiaos
GT3 or TTS for me, a fully loaded C4S is as expensive as TT, then why not get RWS and more hp, because of the N/A? then why not get a GT3 for the same price.
I had the exact same thought process. Anyone who hasn't tried a TT or TTS doesn't know what they are missing. The effect of the rear wheel steering is really noticeable and fantastic.

I sat there and built a c4s that would have cost high 140s....candidly I said why the f not and sprung for a TTS. Absolutely no regrets. I would have regretted a c4s.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM
TK23
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I had the exact same thought process. Anyone who hasn't tried a TT or TTS doesn't know what they are missing. The effect of the rear wheel steering is really noticeable and fantastic. I sat there and built a c4s that would have cost high 140s....candidly I said why the f not and sprung for a TTS. Absolutely no regrets. I would have regretted a c4s. Jeff
I would second that. I just got my relatively base spec TT last week. It is amazing. The 4 wheel steering is a huge advance over the C4S. The power and grip are phenomenal. I suspect the difference between a TT and a tts are relatively small in comparison to a TT and a C4S. The price differential between a C4S and a TT is a no brainer in my mind.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TK23
I would second that. I just got my relatively base spec TT last week. It is amazing. The 4 wheel steering is a huge advance over the C4S. The power and grip are phenomenal. I suspect the difference between a TT and a tts are relatively small in comparison to a TT and a C4S. The price differential between a C4S and a TT is a no brainer in my mind.
I would have bought a TT but there weren't any in stock that were spec'd right. And after the gt3 debacle I wanted something quickly so a TTS was the way to go. That said from a cost standpoint. The extra standards are way cheaper than buying a TT and adding them on.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2014, 08:19 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same exact thought process and had specked out a C4S with MT that came almost to the price of the TTS! Instead I just fell for the dealers TTS launch car and can say that the car, and in particular the PDK transmission is a terrific experience. If you are anxious that you will be missing that special something of a MT, I would add that the PDK fits the personality of the TTS "to a tee" and I could barely even imagine the car with a MT. It would feel somehow out of place.

Quick Reply: Cross Post: C4S or TT?