Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Cross Post: C4S or TT? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/816168-cross-post-c4s-or-tt.html)

Keadog 05-20-2014 10:22 PM

Cross Post: C4S or TT?

I'm posting in both 991 and TT forums just as I go to bed, so I won't be back online until sometime tomorrow.
I have an order in for a '15 C4S that doesn't lock for a few weeks, tentatively due in late July/August. I found out late today I can get a TT allocation for late summer/early fall ("September"). The C4S is configured so the sticker is very close to $140K, making the delta on a TT I would order around $25K. That amount of money is not insignificant to me, but as I expect to own either car for several years, will not be the deciding factor.
I'm all ears (eyes) for thoughts, + or - for each choice. The main "advantage" of the C4S to me is the available MT (my preference), but it's not a deal breaker for the TT. Even an old goat like me has to admit how impressive the PDK is.
Any thoughts welcome. I have driven 991 C2S (PDK) and C4S (PDK and MT) but not the 991TT. The last turbo I drove was a 997 TTS, which felt very fast coming from a 993.
I'm checking the insurance price change, but would appreciate any info on differential in upkeep, etc. I plan to keep either car at least 4-5 years or so.
I'm leaning to the TT, but interested in hearing from current owners of either/both.
Thanks!

jlee504 05-20-2014 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Keadog (Post 11382616)
I'm posting in both 991 and TT forums just as I go to bed, so I won't be back online until sometime tomorrow. I have an order in for a '15 C4S that doesn't lock for a few weeks, tentatively due in late July/August. I found out late today I can get a TT allocation for late summer/early fall ("September"). The C4S is configured so the sticker is very close to $140K, making the delta on a TT I would order around $25K. That amount of money is not insignificant to me, but as I expect to own either car for several years, will not be the deciding factor. I'm all ears (eyes) for thoughts, + or - for each choice. The main "advantage" of the C4S to me is the available MT (my preference), but it's not a deal breaker for the TT. Even an old goat like me has to admit how impressive the PDK is. Any thoughts welcome. I have driven 991 C2S (PDK) and C4S (PDK and MT) but not the 991TT. The last turbo I drove was a 997 TTS, which felt very fast coming from a 993. I'm checking the insurance price change, but would appreciate any info on differential in upkeep, etc. I plan to keep either car at least 4-5 years or so. I'm leaning to the TT, but interested in hearing from current owners of either/both. Thanks!

I drove a c4s and a tts back to back, not even close. Interestingly beside the obvious power difference, the rear wheel steering is AMAZING. hands down.

TestnDoc 05-20-2014 11:06 PM

Not even close.....get the turbo....it will blow you away

Just J 05-20-2014 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TestnDoc (Post 11382754)
Not even close.....get the turbo....it will blow you away

Yep. I was in the same position. 4500 miles in, absolutely no regrets at paying the extra money for a Turbo (S, in my case). Fantastic car.

boxer-11 05-21-2014 02:46 AM

I've been a confirmed clutch-pedal-or-die driver "forever". The PDK in the TT has made a believer out of me though -- it's PFM...can't say enough good things about it...and don't forget chrono sport so you get launch mode...muahahaha! ;)

Keadog 05-21-2014 08:31 AM

Thanks. TTS a little too pricey for me and I wasn't interested in PCCB or center locks. I expected positive feedback here (and glad to see it) but also quite + on 991 forum.
I'm talking with the dealer after work today. I'll report back...

ajag 05-21-2014 12:40 PM

Get a nicely optioned base TT like I did for 165-170 and you won't regret it one second. As mentioned above, w/ the RWS, the TT is actually lighter in feel than the C4S and better handling, as well as far more powerful.

Keadog 05-21-2014 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 11383914)
Get a nicely optioned base TT like I did for 165-170 and you won't regret it one second. As mentioned above, w/ the RWS, the TT is actually lighter in feel than the C4S and better handling, as well as far more powerful.

Two questions:
1. On the LED lights, can you turn off the automatic dimming function for oncoming (and approaching from the rear) traffic. Of course I always dim my lights in these settings, but prefer deciding when to do it myself.
2. PDCC - were you able to drive cars with and without to decide on getting it?
thanks!

NVRANUF 05-24-2014 09:26 AM

The auto dimming function I find works effectively in all situations. Not sure if you can cancel it but you probably can, but in my experience... why would you! :p

I'd only consider PDCC if you plan on tracking your car extensively, which I am not...

:cheers:

TK23 05-24-2014 12:02 PM

The auto dimming can be turned off and on. There are three options for the brights: on off and auto. You just cycle through them. I just got my car this week without PDCC. I drove a c4s with and without it and it felt a little artificial over our bumpy chicago roads. I would get it if I was planning to track a lot but in daily driving I certainly don't miss it. The suspension is really good without it.

mikemiaos 05-24-2014 12:47 PM

GT3 or TTS for me, a fully loaded C4S is as expensive as TT, then why not get RWS and more hp, because of the N/A? then why not get a GT3 for the same price.

jlee504 05-24-2014 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mikemiaos (Post 11391377)
GT3 or TTS for me, a fully loaded C4S is as expensive as TT, then why not get RWS and more hp, because of the N/A? then why not get a GT3 for the same price.

I had the exact same thought process. Anyone who hasn't tried a TT or TTS doesn't know what they are missing. The effect of the rear wheel steering is really noticeable and fantastic.

I sat there and built a c4s that would have cost high 140s....candidly I said why the f not and sprung for a TTS. Absolutely no regrets. I would have regretted a c4s.

Jeff

TK23 05-24-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jlee504 (Post 11391619)
I had the exact same thought process. Anyone who hasn't tried a TT or TTS doesn't know what they are missing. The effect of the rear wheel steering is really noticeable and fantastic. I sat there and built a c4s that would have cost high 140s....candidly I said why the f not and sprung for a TTS. Absolutely no regrets. I would have regretted a c4s. Jeff

I would second that. I just got my relatively base spec TT last week. It is amazing. The 4 wheel steering is a huge advance over the C4S. The power and grip are phenomenal. I suspect the difference between a TT and a tts are relatively small in comparison to a TT and a C4S. The price differential between a C4S and a TT is a no brainer in my mind.

jlee504 05-24-2014 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by TK23 (Post 11391887)
I would second that. I just got my relatively base spec TT last week. It is amazing. The 4 wheel steering is a huge advance over the C4S. The power and grip are phenomenal. I suspect the difference between a TT and a tts are relatively small in comparison to a TT and a C4S. The price differential between a C4S and a TT is a no brainer in my mind.

I would have bought a TT but there weren't any in stock that were spec'd right. And after the gt3 debacle I wanted something quickly so a TTS was the way to go. That said from a cost standpoint. The extra standards are way cheaper than buying a TT and adding them on.

Jeff

smuoio 05-25-2014 08:19 AM

I had the same exact thought process and had specked out a C4S with MT that came almost to the price of the TTS! Instead I just fell for the dealers TTS launch car and can say that the car, and in particular the PDK transmission is a terrific experience. If you are anxious that you will be missing that special something of a MT, I would add that the PDK fits the personality of the TTS "to a tee" and I could barely even imagine the car with a MT. It would feel somehow out of place.