Sponsored by: Road Spy

Another European Delivery of 991 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another European Delivery of 991 Turbo S

May-8 the wait was finally over, and my new shiny car was ready for it's virgin voyage.

This was my first European Delivery I have done, so I wanted to share my experience, as well as a bit about the car so far (just broken in, so I now have a bit better feeling of what it can do).

I ended up taking delivery in Leipzig due to the on-track experience. The hotel was excellent and was just steps outside to multiple outside restaurants with good ford and drinks. I ended up spending most of the day prior to the pick up being out side chatting with my brother that just flew down from Norway to accompany me on the drive up through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and finally to the SW of Norway.

We had 1.5h tour of the factory (which was pretty much as I was expected, but would be more fun if they produced the 991 there, and not just the SUVs).

After we went to the track with a driver that had 7 years experience driving. This was with the same model as mine, but a fully broken in car, so there was no limit to what was done with the poor car (not from me, but rather the driver).

Into the first corner I clenched all I could and only one though went through my head ... we're gonna spin and crash, why did this young driver have to show off for me ... but no ... the car did not shudder at all, and after going sidewise through the turn at 100mph, roasting the tires and gulping down a few gallons of gas we excited alive at the other side ... I was speech less, my eyes was tearing up and at the same time I was sad due to the driver now had rendered all amusement parks moot and pointless in my future (Porsche you will be contacted by my lawyers in the near future). Now I have to invest into skills to be able to erie the car at say 25% of what he managed to get out of it ... well on the other side I think he scared me ****less so I lost a few pounds as well.

The insanity of the car on the track was absolutely amazing, you could hear specs of rubber flying off the tires as he was shredding them like a pencil through a pencil sharpener.

After 3 laps the car was all mine, and I was pretty much allowed to do what I wanted, with some polite suggestion from the race driver on how to break, take the line and break. At the end he also took my brother for 3 laps, and he's still working on trying to remove his grin from his face. Took 1/2 a lap for him as well to go from absolutely terrified to giggling like a 5year old kid.

The main impression I had after the trip was :
1 - The sound was amazing
2 - The grip was amazing
3 - The acceleration was mind boggling
4 - The ride was super comfortable
5 - I suck at driving

Then it was off to an awesome lunch with view over the race track. This was torture, I knew my car was ready for me, and I had to sit through a 3 course lunch that was too good to ignore ... so there is such a thing as too much good.

Then it was finally time to take a look at my new car live. Porsche really know how to make you special. Each car was in it's own 'booth' with leather seats, table, garage port (to get out), and very nice surrounding. This allowed you to be alone with the car while getting instructions and filling in all the paper works.

Now for a quick summary of pros and cons.

GENERIC VIEW / FEATURES

PDK
What a lovely gearbox. It's always in the right gear, and I have not really feelt the need to manual shift. I have to admit I have been a fan of sequential gearboxes for some time (BMW SMG, SMG II and DCT) and now PDK (coming from 20year + only driving manuals). Even 7'th is an overdrive, it's plenty of push, for the US market it could even be higher (2k rpm @ 120km/h).

Stearing
It's presise, but I wish it was a bit more weight to it. Coming from my M3 it does feel a bit too light. I did get the car with the oprional PSP, but in general I would like to have more weight, and perhaps a higher gearing. Not a big deal, but it would have made it even better if sport/sport plus would have added some more heft to it.

Navi
This was the big suprise to me. I was not expecting much, as it's a sports car, so I was pleasently suprised with it's 3D map, and satelite overlay. Easy to use, and a lot of clever options to select POI.

CAR (button)
Finally I have a car that can tell the distance to next gas station, range left on the tank, and a quick push to get navi to point me to it. Very nice feature indeed. I also liked the more obsucre features like steering angle and altitude.

MPG
Manager up towards 26mpg, and averaged around 18mpg, so it's less thirsty than my M3 (14-21mpg). And with a 18gallon tank range is pretty good.

Seats
The 18-way seats are just amazing. All the adjustments I would ever need. I was sceptical about the lack of adjustable neck rest, but it's in a good position, so I have not feelt the need to change this so far. Very comfortable (10h drive and no discomfort).

Visibility
For normal driving very good. In germany there are no traffic light on the far side of the intersection, and I always ended up having to look at the traffic light through the sun roof. I do not expect this to me an issue in US. THe mirrors are OK, but lack of wide angle feature, and wide hips, do require an extra check over your shoulder when changing lanes. I often found cars sitting in my blind spot.

Feature : Optional blind zone detection and/or wide ange edge on the mirrows.

Engine Sound
Not sure why so many are dissing the sound. Under normal driving it's nice and enable normal conversation in the car. At full throttle it sound like an jet taking off (very addictive). Yes it's not a shoutly american V8, but for me it's perfect.

Burnmester (Optional sound system)
Very nice stereo. Did try out the bass, and it's very VERY loud My brother also loved the stereo and he's in the music business, and praised it. Listenign to The Wall (Pink Floyd) was just adding to the sensation. Very nice integration with my iPhone (using the cable). Charging the phone, digital music and full search functionality. I have not loaded anything into the jukebox (40GB) yet, as it has to be done through the USB. THe CD changer won't convert and store the CD, so I do not think I will use that a lot.

Luggage
Due to the edge on the back of the rear seat I was able to store quite a bit in the car. Plenty of space for 2 people for 2 weeks. The frunk handled 2 carry on + a bit extra.

Acceleration
Not so much acceleration, but rather a teleportation device. Need to put som heat into the tires first, and find good surface before doing launch. Most of the time car was spinning on all 4 wheels leaving some nice tracks behind it. 1 and 2 is the most impressive ones. After that due to the torque 6'th gear is plenty

Rear seat
Was OK space for 2 persons under 5"5. Any more than that (or 150lb+) and you won't have a good time.

Comfort
A bit more firm than the M3 on normal road, but not harsh at all. Definitly something I can live with on a daily basis. Due to the PDCC it handles turns like a champ, and after a few hours I now feel very comfortable taking turns at high speed without a squeek or whimper from the car. Gone sideways a few times under hard acceleration, but have not felt the dreaded back-turns-front.

FAVOURITE FEATURES

ACC (Advanced Cruise Control)
Man not sure how I have lived without this before. We hit traffic on autobahn for 1h or so, and just sitting there and letting the car accelerate, break, stop, start and move again was awesome. Allowed me to stretch a bit, play with the buttons and listen to music.

Configurable views
By default one screen was showing oil temperature and pressure, which is the same shown on the far left indicators. So I changed those to range left and altitude. Did the same with the 'CAR' button, showing some more interesting information.

Backup camera / distance sensors
Due to the car being wide, this was a good help in the beginning when driving through toll booths and parking.

Engine
Yes, there is a turbo lag, but the PDK hide 1/2 of the effect, and now I got addicted by the extra push as boost builds. Good part is that the engine has a lot of power/torque even without any boost, so for normal driving I'm not even in boost.

ISSUES

On the road I started to hear some rattling from inside the dash (will have Porsche USA to take a look when I get the car back). Bit dissapointed that it's not perfect. The more conserning sound came from the outside / wheels. Not sure if this is normal or not, but I can hear a ticking sound when breaking from 35mph. I did pop by Porsche dealer and he did not know what it was, but indicated it could be the springs holding the PCCB in place, and it might move till it's all worn and fit well. Later I think I can hear this sound from both front right wheel as well as left rear. Was unable to see any damage on the disk or any rocks / twigs stuck in there.

VISUAL

I ended up with Agate Gray with black/red interior. After being very anxious of this combo, I was very happy when I saw it in real life. Make the car look sporty, classy, luxurious without being shouty. Due to the large wheel wells it could most lilely sit a bit lower, but I also realize that the rear do need a bit more due to the rear steering. Inside is jsut beautiful with leather dash, doors and back rest. I did not go for leather on the streering column, and I do not feel I'm lacking that. Only option I now regret is that I should have gone for the deviated stitching on the streeing wheel (to get the black/red combo).

All in all I'm VERY happy with the car, and a bit sad at the same time, as I can only use it a it's full potential in 2.5s bursts (0-60).

Now off to the beach to take some real photo of the car
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Excellent!
Thanks for posting!

There's a bulletin for your PCCB clicking noise. Here's more info :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...ake-issue.html

Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice writeup, thanks!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. I love the color combination. In fact, gray/silver exterior are the only color(s) I would pair with a red interior.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

beautiful beast. now sign up for some HPDE asap !
Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 PM
masernegro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Hugo!

Just sent you a private message.

I am sure the noises will get resolved.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 AM
pasd18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, great review and beautiful car.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the write up and great looking car! Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations on your awesome car and your engaging and illuminating account.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Well then the trip was over, and I'm back to reality.

My E92 M3 now looks and feel like driving an SUV. Yes it still have a better gear-lever, better view and
more space in the trunk/rear, but other than that the 911 TS beat it on all areas :

* Better sound (this I did not expect)
* Better acceleration ... by a mile (more than expected)
* Better milage (not a big point ... but 500mile range is nice)
* Better sound system (not by much, but Burmester > Logic7)
* Better nav (this was a bonus, 3D building, maps, stattelite all was fun to play with)
* Better nerd features (i.e. showing steering angle and distance to closest gas station)
* Better quality (a few flaws, but I expect dealer to deal with them)
* Better brakes (by a mile again, the PCCB have such a nice grip, and no noice)
* Better seats (and BMW is known for good seats)

I ended up putting down 4250 miles, Vmax at 203mph and passing 3 cops doing 125mph+ and still feeling
weird about it. The car had more in it, but I did not (well did not feel healthy passing cars doing 125mph
over their speed).

I had some minor ticking sound at low speed breaking (sub 45mph), but that finally went away. I guess it's
the spring/floating discs setteling.

I did end up having a faint ratteling deep inside the dashboard, that was there from day 1, and was still
there when I turned the car into shipping. I really hope I can get rid of that, as it does take away from
the quality of the car.

No nics, cuts or chips (except a tiny rock imprint on the windscreen).

The only drawback I found (and this might be mainly due to the road surface, wind and other) was that I did
not feel the car was 100% planted when going 125mph+. If really feelt a bit 'floaty' and I never 100%
trusted that the car would not jump into the ditch when going at high speed. I swear the M3 feelt much more
planted at 125mph+, but I'll figure that out later on a track/salt bed or similar.

This might also have been due to the steering feel. After reading about the PSP I was worried a bit, but I
never felt that the steering was 'bad' at sub 100mph. However at 125mph+ it felt too light, and each bump
in the road shifted the car sideways instead of up/down. Not going to be a big deal in US, as I doubt I will
go 100mph+ here, but something I'm a bit dissapointed in. It might be that me being bumped in combination
with light steering caused this, but even when I was trying to strain keeping the wheel straight I still
had this sensation that the car was not super stable at high speed, and was amazed at the other cars that
was passing me, in way less sportiy vehicles (i.e. BMW 530d), and I just did not feel safe keeping up with
his speed (~130mph) around turns.

Do anybody else out there have issues / concerns with the steering at high speed? Could something be 'broken'?
I was under the impression that the 4W steering would make the car more stable at high speed ...

(I did have 42psi front and 54psi rear, on the dot what the CAR reccomended for normal driving (not comfort)).

All in all I'm now addicted to the car, and when in the past I was looking forward taking the M3 for a ride,
now I just feel sadness, and wondering where the acceleration went ...
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Spectacular car...I just love it.

Quick Reply: Another European Delivery of 991 Turbo S