Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Glass sunroof position affecting rear spoiler deployment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014 | 06:39 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Question Glass sunroof position affecting rear spoiler deployment?

Today was the first day I used my glass sunroof, and noticed that when the sunroof is fully opened at highway speeds w/o spoiler button active, the spoiler position goes up to what I thought previously was stage 3 (full downforce) with the entire spoiler visible in the rearview, but no visible space between the satellite receiver and the spoiler while looking back through the rearview mirror. I thought the stage 2 position was so low that the spoiler essentially was not visible in the rearview. Well, I then hit the spoiler button and it popped up a few more inches, with a gap now visible between the spoiler and the sat receiver. So now I'm confused...is this intentional, and is there a difference in stage 2 and 3 positions based on the sunroof position or is my spoiler malfunctioning? Obviously I can't take pics of this without a passenger in the car, the spoiler comes down when I drop speeds so I can't bring it to a stop in full up position w/ the sunroof fully open. What are other people's experience w this? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2014 | 07:21 PM
speed21
Banned

I've found that if the rear spoiler isn't in the fully raised/deployed position the front spoiler sits in what I could only refer to as an odd looking position visually, so it pays to either fully deploy or retract.

If the rear spoiler is activating when you open the roof then that sounds like something is out of whack to me. The roof activation should have nothing to do with the spoilers operation. I've found when the spoilers are fully deployed the rear spoiler is quite visible out from the rear glass and I'm assuming if I lower it manually on the fly to a half raised position the same will happen on the front spoiler leaving it looking a bit weird not being fully extended iykwim.
Old 03-31-2014 | 07:28 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

From the Service Information Technik - 911 Turbo - Turbo S document:

"The variable aerodynamics of the 911 Turbo models offer further adaptability in
addition to the functions and advantages described here. If the slide/tilt roof option
changes the aerodynamics when the roof is opened, the rear wing is extended higher
and tilted earlier or further in the ‘Speed’ and ‘Performance’ positions."
Old 03-31-2014 | 07:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by jfr0317
From the Service Information Technik - 911 Turbo - Turbo S document:

"The variable aerodynamics of the 911 Turbo models offer further adaptability in
addition to the functions and advantages described here. If the slide/tilt roof option
changes the aerodynamics when the roof is opened, the rear wing is extended higher
and tilted earlier or further in the ‘Speed’ and ‘Performance’ positions."
Good find. I guess it does make sense. The roof when opened is like driving around with a dinner table on top of your roof and is therefore bound to create some kind of adverse disturbance to the aerodynamics. Interesting.

I guess too bad for those 991's with open sunroofs with no rear spoiler at all LOL. It would be a bad look if the dinner table flew right off at high speeds and hit someones car.
Old 03-31-2014 | 08:02 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thanks for the info, I thought I had read this somewhere before but wasn't sure. The interesting thing to me, with regards to your point speed21, is that my TT is quieter at hwy cruising speeds w/ the glass roof fully open compared w/ my previous 991S, which is likely due to the better aero of the bigger spoiler I imagine.
Old 04-01-2014 | 12:21 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Remember,these new 991 T and TS are way smarter than use humans.Thats why I don,t sweat the stuff and just go with it..I initially tried to figure the stuff out,said the heck with it and just have fun now..
Old 04-04-2014 | 06:20 PM
Racer

There is actually a 4th position. I think the spoiler goes up a little higher and tilts further downward. I noticed this when the service guys switched out my tailights. I told the guy that it looked pretty cool and how could I get it to do that. He stated he can do it in service mode or it comes up automatically once you hit a certain speed. I think it was 150 or 160.
Old 09-13-2014 | 02:48 AM
HawaiiGTS
AutoX

Ajag, this question is off-topic, but which wheels do you have on your TT? I'm looking for alternative wheels to the Turbo wheels and just noticed yours, which are quite nice. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014 | 09:51 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Owners manual details the spoiler deployment. At 75 mph with the sunroof open the rear spoiler partially deploys.
Old 09-13-2014 | 10:22 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HawaiiGTS
Ajag, this question is off-topic, but which wheels do you have on your TT? I'm looking for alternative wheels to the Turbo wheels and just noticed yours, which are quite nice. Thanks.
HRE P101s in 20" OEM size w/ more aggressive offset. They're lighter than stock and very nice.

Quick Reply: Glass sunroof position affecting rear spoiler deployment?