Sponsored by: Road Spy

Power Steering Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014 | 07:42 PM
MMH78
Instructor

Default Power Steering Plus

Hi Guy's,
I am planning to order a TT/TTS. Need some information regarding Power steering plus. Like to know pro's and Con's of the system and how it effects driving dynamics. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2014 | 07:56 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

The thought of the 911 steering feeling like an old Lincoln continental was not something I wanted to consider.
Old 03-30-2014 | 08:20 PM
sitecap
Track Day

Was considering two cars and the deciding factor was that one had the PSP - so I went with the other one. The steering feel at low speed and parking is fine - no need for any power assist. I just didn't want that soft steer feel even at low speed.

(I even liked the other car's color slightly better - but couldn't even find any results in my searches if PSP could just be disabled.)
Old 03-30-2014 | 08:47 PM
cartester
Instructor

I don't have PSP. Absolutely not needed. Low speed steering effort is light enough and needs no additional boost.
Old 03-30-2014 | 10:17 PM
speed21
Banned

I think it is just one of those crazy options that leave you guessing where the benefit is but knowing Porsche I'm sure there is one somewhere. I have the PSP and coming from 4 years in a 997tt I have not noticed anything negative least of all anything that your usual Porschophile would be able to spot easily. In fact I just went and rechecked my option list to confirm I indeed have it because if someone told me my car didn't have the PSP I would have to believe them as the steering certainly isn't light or vague or anything untoward for this type of car. So, no I wouldnt say it is a deal breaker nor would I walk from a car that had it. So would I not go for it on a build? Well based on the situation where it appears the cars that have come in here all have it i'd say probably still get it but that would be mainly because the car steers so well with it. Its a toughy. I guess if the deal came down to the wire over the dollars and cents then maybe take the punt and not get it....but with it is perfect so far, so.... maybe toss a coin if you are unsure.
Old 03-30-2014 | 11:37 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

I wonder if PSP gets rid of that running-over-marbles feeling during super-tight turning.
Old 03-31-2014 | 03:32 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

I have PSP on mine -- if I understand what you mean by the running-over-marbles thing correctly I'd say "no" to PSP removing that -- I still experience tire skip at very low speed with full lock (...which I end up having to do in our relatively tight driveway) especially when it's cold out.

I only really notice PSP at low or no speed when I go to turn the wheel...it seems to me like there's an initial resistance to turning the wheel and then it's almost like there's suddenly a lot less friction under the tire patches. If it's operational when I'm moving at more than parking speeds, I can't tell. I'm reasonably fit and strong so I don't feel like I really need the help. I'd probably skip it if I had it to do over and I was the only one driving the car ever...but I don't outright regret having it on the car.
Old 03-31-2014 | 10:35 AM
zedosix
Instructor

Didn't get it, I was more concerned about stereos and roof options.
Old 05-24-2014 | 11:10 PM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Just J
I wonder if PSP gets rid of that running-over-marbles feeling during super-tight turning.
I have the power assist on my C4S and it still skips / marbles on tight turns. I do not have it on my TTS and in my case I prefer it without. It just feels "right" to me for there to be a tad bit more effort involved. Seems too easy on the C4S at low speeds. Don't get me wrong - nothing wrong with it at all, and all personal preference.
Old 05-25-2014 | 03:45 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

I got the PSP, but in general I'm happy with the steering feedback below 100mph, I was however not as happy with how it feels at 150+ (granted it could be due to the somewhat rough surface and side wind).
Old 05-25-2014 | 10:30 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I have PSP on mine -- if I understand what you mean by the running-over-marbles thing correctly I'd say "no" to PSP removing that -- I still experience tire skip at very low speed with full lock (...which I end up having to do in our relatively tight driveway) especially when it's cold out.

I only really notice PSP at low or no speed when I go to turn the wheel...it seems to me like there's an initial resistance to turning the wheel and then it's almost like there's suddenly a lot less friction under the tire patches. If it's operational when I'm moving at more than parking speeds, I can't tell. I'm reasonably fit and strong so I don't feel like I really need the help. I'd probably skip it if I had it to do over and I was the only one driving the car ever...but I don't outright regret having it on the car.
I have it on my new TTS but my 2012 CS Cab did not have it. It serves no purpose in my opinion as the regular steering is very easy without PSP; however, if the car you like has it, don't let it dissuade you - above 15 or 20 MPH you won't feel the PSP.
Old 08-24-2014 | 01:32 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

It is noticeable on track. With PSP, the steering is way lighter and easy to "over steer" the wheel in slow turns. I personally would not order it.
Old 08-24-2014 | 08:13 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

i just ordered 2015 TTS and I got the PSP option. I didn't think about it for longer than about 10 seconds -- read what it said, looked at cost, and said... eh, what the heck (it was really cheap). So, I ordered it. Will have to actually get the car before I have an opinion on it. I'm in wait mode!
Old 08-24-2014 | 11:41 PM
docmalone
Racer

I've had my TTS now for 2 days and felt the steering difference instantly from my 911S that did not have it. I prefer it without the PSP but the difference is really only noticeable at very low speeds. I like the TTS so much I don't mind this one option I didn't really want. If I were ordering I would not choose it.
Old 08-28-2014 | 12:19 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Just J
My dealer told me it does. Luckily, I asked around before buying and consensus was that it does not.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus