Sponsored by: Road Spy

Strange loud noise from rear of 991TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by antarch
2014 turbo s coupe: I just heard what sounded like a loud scraping noise this past weekend...
I totally freaked out and stopped, took a look under the car (thought maybe a large twig was stuck) looked at all 4 wheels saw nothing. Got back in the car and it was gone.
It lasted about 200 feet of slow town driving.
I took it for a long drive the next day and nothing...
Would love to hear back from those experiencing the same noise and if it ever reoccurred.
I have 1000miles
I have just over 2000kms and I've experienced the same issue 3 times now.. totally random and can't seem to replicate it.

Noise seems to be on the passenger side and sounds like a scraping metallic sound.
The second time it happened I was in a Canadian Tire parking lot and several heads turned to look at the car... It's THAT LOUD!
2 guys actually came over asking 'what's wrong with your car?"

Very weird indeed!!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far so good. Nearly 2000kms and nothing. If it is happening whilst the vehicle is moving and sounds to be coming from one side over the other then maybe it is the PTV/PSM activating out of turn, clamping the disc on one side for a prolonged period overheating the components? An electronic gremlin issue... Or maybe a small stone has lodged between the disc and caliper. Had that happen on my 997tt and boy did that make an alarming metallic scraping sound. It was so loud and alarming I had to stop the car. If you drive over roads with loose debris on the surface then it can happen. I can't see the problem as being within the diff itself or the oil bathed clutch packs.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all likelihood, this noise is caused by a small stone between the rotor and the inner dust shield. I have noticed it on all three cars I've owned with ceramic brakes. On the 991 TTS you cannot get to it without putting the car on a lift. Usually the stone wears down enough to be spun out of the dust shield. I have never had damage to the rotor, but it is concerning to be sure. Porsche dealers know all about this issue; but to my knowledge Porsche has not redesigned he dust shield to minimize the possibility of getting a stone caught between it and the rotor surface.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe next time it happens, bring the car to a halt, select reverse and go back a bit, apply the brake on and off a few times, then go forward and if the noise is gone then you know it was just a small piece of foreign material lodged between the pad and rotor.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Dust shield seems to be the most likely suggestion here, even though I don't have PCCB's. The tinny, scraping, scratchy metallic sound could be dust shield induced. Each of the 3 times I had it happen was on paved road or parking area...
Weird in that my GT3 never exhibited the same.... or maybe because it was so loud everywhere else I'd never have heard it! LOL

Old 05-25-2014, 10:25 PM
NMM991
Racer

While I was cleaning my car today, I realize that you can get at the dust shield from the outside of the wheel through the spokes. If you push on it you notice that it flexes ⅛ inch or so. Next you get the noise, try to push on the dust shield to create a little space between it and the rotor and see if anything drops out. It's an awful sound, probably sounds worse because of the amplification from the shield itself.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 AM
jwp98
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2014 TTS has a rear end noise. At about 700 miles, I started hearing a chatter or quick kachunk. Not a squeak, though my high frequency hearing may be shot. It happens usually on 1-2 upshift or on decel. If you have heard a car like the GT2 RS, with a lightweight flywheel and drivetrain clatter, that is the sound. I figure things are just loosening up. Anyone else heard this?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 AM
cartester
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwp98
My 2014 TTS has a rear end noise. At about 700 miles, I started hearing a chatter or quick kachunk. Not a squeak, though my high frequency hearing may be shot. It happens usually on 1-2 upshift or on decel. If you have heard a car like the GT2 RS, with a lightweight flywheel and drivetrain clatter, that is the sound. I figure things are just loosening up. Anyone else heard this?
If it happens when you brake then that's a known issue with the PCCB. Porsche will replace the rotors if they confirm that's the problem. Some here have reported it finally goes away on its own after a (long) while.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

Weird, I had a grinding noise yesterday in my TTS. It was at a low speed too, 20-25mph I was going down a local street when I heard a grinding like a can or marbles or something then it went away. It was 2-3 seconds.

Hasn't come back since, it felt like it was coming from the tranny but it could have been anything.

I'm hoping it's a stone in a dust shield, that seems pretty plausible.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM
NMM991
Racer

Most likely these noises which can range from sounds like marbles rotating in a can to a squealing/scraping sound as described above, are caused by a stone or pebble lodged between the rotor and the dust shield on the inside of the rotor - there is somewhere between ⅛ and ¼ space where pebbles picked up by soft tires and spun into this gap. The resulting sounds are quite ominous - I have experienced it on both my 1,700 mile 991 TTS and my 30,000 mile Cayenne TT, both with ceramic rotors (which probably amplify the noise). Porsche techs have confirmed this possibility to me - they have removed stones that customers bring into the service department.

From the outside of the wheel, you can push the dust shield slightly away from the rotor, increasing the gap, and any stones/pebbles in there may fall out - these stones rotate around the rotor so you have to know where the stone is but if it is on the lower half, it will usually drop out. At high speeds, I believe either the stone is ground down or is flung out of the gap. Really annoying - hopefully this does not cause any damage to the ceramic rotors, my tech told me that he has not seen that situation.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I think "scraping" is one way you could describe the noise. The first time was really loud, and sounded more like the locked diff noise. The second and third times were not quite as loud, and sounded more like scraping.

Mine yesterday...600 KM on it. Will keep an eye on it. btw....still love my car.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

It's happened a few more times now.
Aside from being a little embarrassing when there are people around like last time in the paddock area at CMP after coming off the track and the time in the CT parking lot described above... It's definitely that loud.... I just ignore it.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Trimmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything remotely like what anyone is describing.....yet.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:38 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had the sound several times. Each time it was caused by pebble gettingn lodged between the rotor the brake shield. It's extremely annoying.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

I've had it a few times too on the road by my house. Lots of loose chat and these tires are so sticky it constantly flings the small rocks and on occasion they get caught. Only lasts a few seconds and falls out apparently. It does get your attention however.

Quick Reply: Strange loud noise from rear of 991TT