Sponsored by: Road Spy

Strange loud noise from rear of 991TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Strange loud noise from rear of 991TT

Two or three times now I've heard a strange, loud mechanical noise coming from the rear of the car. It seems to only happen (or only be audible?) when accelerating (mild throttle) from a standstill in first gear. I swear it sounds like the noise you hear when turning sharply at low speed in a race car with a locked differential. That's the only thing I've heard that's comparable in 35+ years of motoring.

I can't tell if it's a noise the car is supposed to make under certain conditions? Or if its a sign of something that's going to fail...

Anyone else heard a noise like I'm describing?

I know what will happen if/when I take it to the dealer. They will say, "we couldn't replicate it." Hell, I can't replicate it either, except by pure chance about once every 300 miles.

P.S. Hopefully it's not the noise made by cars about to catch fire.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 AM
SCA11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything like that. Currently my car is at 1500 miles.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Well, keep me posted if you hear anything odd like that. It may actually be happening more than I realize. The Burmeister might be overwhelming it much of the time.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Probe
4th Gear

Perhaps related, on 3 occasions my '550 miles old' TTS has made random "scraping" noises. The first was after stopping briefly to open my driveway gate: when pulling up the driveway and into the garage I heard a loud noise that sounded to me like I was dragging a branch under the vehicle or perhaps as if a disc pad was dragging on a rotor. The noise was back the next day when driving out of the garage and persisted for the first 200 feet of slow speed driving.

The second and third occurrences were at speeds of around 20 mph and again at 35 or 40 mph, both likely when in second gear, and lasted 3-5 seconds each time.

I haven't isolated the the cause nor location of these noises yet.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

I think "scraping" is one way you could describe the noise. The first time was really loud, and sounded more like the locked diff noise. The second and third times were not quite as loud, and sounded more like scraping.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this happen to be early mornings or when first driving the car? I know it doesn't get too cold where you are but I experienced this quite a bit with my TT when the temps were below here in GA. Pirellis skipping when cold and turning the wheel from a stop.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Probe
4th Gear

No, I doubt it was the tires in my case, as most of the times my TTS was at operating temps on warm 60 or 70 degree winter days and the noise was present when the car was tracking straight.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Probe
No, I doubt it was the tires in my case, as most of the times my TTS was at operating temps on warm 60 or 70 degree winter days and the noise was present when the car was tracking straight.
Whoops. I misread your post. Did not see you said at rear. Tire sound comes from front.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM
JoeNo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard it on mine once, when I was pulling in my garage. It was loud, I thought I scaped something. Sounded like it came from the rear right wheel, but I too had my audio on. I addressed it and nothing could be found. My car is in the shop now for other reason but somehow I cant help wonder if the problems are related. Im pretty disappointed.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM
antarch
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

2014 turbo s coupe: I just heard what sounded like a loud scraping noise this past weekend...
I totally freaked out and stopped, took a look under the car (thought maybe a large twig was stuck) looked at all 4 wheels saw nothing. Got back in the car and it was gone.
It lasted about 200 feet of slow town driving.
I took it for a long drive the next day and nothing...
Would love to hear back from those experiencing the same noise and if it ever reoccurred.
I have 1000miles
Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Probe
4th Gear

I previously reported on 3 occasions my '550 miles old' TTS had made random "scraping" noises. Since then I've heard the noise twice or maybe thrice again, only the durations of these incidences were about a second long. I asked my salesman about the noise back in February and he wasn't aware of any related issues, but speculated it might have been something mechanical getting bedded in.

My TTS now has about 2900 miles on it, nearly all of them logged in hilly or mountainous terrain, and the vehicle typically gets a pretty good workout. I've had no other problems, or complaints other than I wished Porsche made a waterproof frunk bin for this model of 991 too
Attached Images  

Last edited by Probe; 05-21-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Snorman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Probe
I've had no other problems, or complaints other than I wished Porsche made a waterproof frunk bin for this model of 991 too
You mean like on a jet-ski? What are you doing with that thing?

S.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Probe
4th Gear

Yeah, I found that Porsche "luggage compartment liner" in my old 991 C2 to be handy for capturing snow off of ski boots, mud off of bike or hike shoes, and of course water from PFDs and sprayskirts and the like. I suspect it might be helpful for corralling track day miscellanea too, for those of you who find time for such activities

Name:  bin photo.JPG
Views: 6066
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

My car did the same thing at about 100 miles. Sounded like dragging a hanger across the pavement. Was only going about 15 mph. Stopped looked under the car - nothing! Only have about 150 miles on it now with no reoccurrence. Allan
Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
antarch
7th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

This scraping noise thing is crazy!!!

Quick Reply: Strange loud noise from rear of 991TT