Sponsored by: Road Spy

Observations of the 2014 991 TT-S after 3229 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
My only complaint about the TTS is the stock exhaust is too quiet. Other than that, happy camper.
Same "complaint" (if you can call it that) with the TT, especially coming from a C2S with PSE. The N.A. flat 6 just sounds so much better, no denying that. My TT is a lease so can't bring myself to invest several thousand dollars in an exhaust.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Should have gotten a cab! its much louder in a cab...
Bingo! I would never get a 911 TTS that was not a Cab after owning this one. Engine/exhaust with top down is intoxicating.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 PM
brooklynd
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I have seen this car in South Dakota....Looks amazing in person
Old 12-10-2014, 12:35 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
I thought some of you might have an interest in reading my thoughts and impressions on the 991 TT-S after 3229 miles of driving experience.

I believe our car may have been one the first TT-S’s shipped and delivered; we received the car on November 15, 2013. Black over Espresso, and fully loaded (within reason).

We have been driving Porsche’s (all new cars purchased from dealers in St. Paul, Omaha and Mpls) over the last 5 years comprised of two Cayman-S’s, a Boxster-S, a Carreras-S Cabriolet, a Cayenne-S, and a 2010 997 Turbo.

We live in South Dakota, and had the new 991 TT-S transported to Phoenix shortly after Thanksgiving for an extended driving vacation. Note we drive all of our cars, versus store and conserve mileage....why own them if you don't drive them.

We drove the car in and around the greater Phoenix area for an extended period, and then road-tripped back to South Dakota, making our way through all kinds of roads and weather. The route was from North Scottsdale to Sedona, then to Santa Fe, on to Colorado Springs to Omaha, and then back to SD.

The overall time and miles gave us a great opportunity to experience the car.

The following are the highlights of our experience;

• Overall impression…fantastic car! Unbelievably fast, extremely responsive, comfortable even on long hauls and beautiful.

• Never really pushed the car hard due to the newness/break-in period, but can definitely feel the improved handling and power over the 2010 Turbo.

• The ride in standard mode is very comfortable on long hauls, and surprisingly the Sport Mode while very responsive, also provided a comfortable ride. I would say the Sport Mode on the 991-S was much more comfortable than the 2010 Turbo in Sport Mode, but when you "got on it", the 997 had better handling and response....best of both worlds.

• We had Michelin Pilot Alpin rubber installed for the trip, and the tires performed very well. We experienced dry, wet and snow covered roads, and felt comfortable in all conditions.

• We were concerned that with center lock wheels if we had a flat tire, a local repair shop could not repair the flat; but we never incurred a problem. Prior to the trip we confirmed that in the case of a flat, Porsche warranty would provide transport to the nearest Porsche dealership for repairs (regardless of distance).

• Initially we had a slight metal rattle that came from upper rear deck, but that resolved itself.

• PCM navigation, radio, CD and satellite radio worked fine….however, the Auxiliary- Bluetooth feature failed on the second-to-last day of the trip. We talked to the dealer, who confirmed that was a chronic problem with the PCM, and Porsche had not released a “fix”. They said that in most cases the Auxiliary Bluetooth will recover on its own, which it did…however, it was frustrating at the time. I would say the Aux Bluetooth issue is our only complaint.

• We monitored the oil, and no oil consumption.

• Tire pressures maintained at proper levels.

• MPG average varied based on driving conditions, but if I had to estimate I would say 23+ mpg on the highway in Standard Mode (just a guess).

In summary, great car….no regrets what so ever. Every valet loved parking the car. We had numerous individuals (particularly in North Scottsdale) approach us to take a closer look at the car…and everywhere we would get a “thumbs-up” from another driver on the road.

If anyone has questions, I would be happy answer.
Nice write up. Glad you are enjoying driving the ultimate machine. A question that I have is, what is your overall opinion about the appearance of the front lip of the car? In comparison to the 997 Turbo it seems as if something is missing unless the front spoiler is extended. One of the mods I liked doing to my 2010 997.2 TT was the addition of the painted front lip, something that you couldn't do with the new 991. Any thoughts on this observation or others that you know who have driven the new 991 TT?

Again thanks for your time.

Jay
Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Jay....regarding your question on the front splitter, I really have not paid much attention to the difference between the 997 and the 991.

Certainly the 991 looks more aggressive with the splitter extended, but I can't say that I have thought much about it. A few people have been impressed watching the splitter extend....but that is only when I am at a dead-stop....and it seems it is a bit of a "parlor trick"!

FWIW, I had a 2010 TT and had the front splitter painted to match as it sounds like you have done, and I did like that look.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

I agree that the front of a 991 TT(S) doesn't look complete (and certainly not as aggressive) unless the lip is extended, but the retractable lip is a fantastic tool for making sure you don't scrape your lip on inclines/ driveways, etc. I rarely scrap the front of the TT, whereas I used to scrape the rubber lip on my SPASM C2S all the time.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a slight preference for leaving the lip extended but like the way the car looks either way. Extended it does differentiate the front from a normal 911 but I love normal 911s anyway

Quick Reply: Observations of the 2014 991 TT-S after 3229 miles