Sponsored by: Road Spy

Observations of the 2014 991 TT-S after 3229 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Observations of the 2014 991 TT-S after 3229 miles

I thought some of you might have an interest in reading my thoughts and impressions on the 991 TT-S after 3229 miles of driving experience.

I believe our car may have been one the first TT-S’s shipped and delivered; we received the car on November 15, 2013. Black over Espresso, and fully loaded (within reason).

We have been driving Porsche’s (all new cars purchased from dealers in St. Paul, Omaha and Mpls) over the last 5 years comprised of two Cayman-S’s, a Boxster-S, a Carreras-S Cabriolet, a Cayenne-S, and a 2010 997 Turbo.

We live in South Dakota, and had the new 991 TT-S transported to Phoenix shortly after Thanksgiving for an extended driving vacation. Note we drive all of our cars, versus store and conserve mileage....why own them if you don't drive them.

We drove the car in and around the greater Phoenix area for an extended period, and then road-tripped back to South Dakota, making our way through all kinds of roads and weather. The route was from North Scottsdale to Sedona, then to Santa Fe, on to Colorado Springs to Omaha, and then back to SD.

The overall time and miles gave us a great opportunity to experience the car.

The following are the highlights of our experience;

• Overall impression…fantastic car! Unbelievably fast, extremely responsive, comfortable even on long hauls and beautiful.

• Never really pushed the car hard due to the newness/break-in period, but can definitely feel the improved handling and power over the 2010 Turbo.

• The ride in standard mode is very comfortable on long hauls, and surprisingly the Sport Mode while very responsive, also provided a comfortable ride. I would say the Sport Mode on the 991-S was much more comfortable than the 2010 Turbo in Sport Mode, but when you "got on it", the 997 had better handling and response....best of both worlds.

• We had Michelin Pilot Alpin rubber installed for the trip, and the tires performed very well. We experienced dry, wet and snow covered roads, and felt comfortable in all conditions.

• We were concerned that with center lock wheels if we had a flat tire, a local repair shop could not repair the flat; but we never incurred a problem. Prior to the trip we confirmed that in the case of a flat, Porsche warranty would provide transport to the nearest Porsche dealership for repairs (regardless of distance).

• Initially we had a slight metal rattle that came from upper rear deck, but that resolved itself.

• PCM navigation, radio, CD and satellite radio worked fine….however, the Auxiliary- Bluetooth feature failed on the second-to-last day of the trip. We talked to the dealer, who confirmed that was a chronic problem with the PCM, and Porsche had not released a “fix”. They said that in most cases the Auxiliary Bluetooth will recover on its own, which it did…however, it was frustrating at the time. I would say the Aux Bluetooth issue is our only complaint.

• We monitored the oil, and no oil consumption.

• Tire pressures maintained at proper levels.

• MPG average varied based on driving conditions, but if I had to estimate I would say 23+ mpg on the highway in Standard Mode (just a guess).

In summary, great car….no regrets what so ever. Every valet loved parking the car. We had numerous individuals (particularly in North Scottsdale) approach us to take a closer look at the car…and everywhere we would get a “thumbs-up” from another driver on the road.

If anyone has questions, I would be happy answer.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Just one queston...why am I not able to see all those pictures you posted of the exterior and interior of your car?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sscofield
... however, the Auxiliary- Bluetooth feature failed on the second-to-last day of the trip. We talked to the dealer, who confirmed that was a chronic problem with the PCM, and Porsche had not released a “fix”. They said that in most cases the Auxiliary Bluetooth will recover on its own, which it did…however, it was frustrating at the time. I would say the Aux Bluetooth issue is our only complaint. ...
Bluetooth chipsets generally seem a little finicky, and often need to be power cycled to reset. I've seen this frequently with computers, so, perhaps it "recovers on its own" once the conditions are right for a power cycle on it to occur. It might be useful to know what those conditions are so that you could initiate it manually, rather than have to wait for it to occur naturally.

Sounds like a great trip in a great car. Congratulations.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• The ride in standard mode is very comfortable on long hauls, and surprisingly the Sport Mode while very responsive, also provided a comfortable ride. I would say the Sport Mode on the 991-S was much more comfortable than the 2010 Turbo in Sport Mode, but when you "got on it", the 997 had better handling and response....best of both worlds.

am i understanding that right ... or my language not helping me on that point ?

""the 997 had better handling and response"" or its a typo?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:54 PM
sscofield
Advanced

TYPO.....the 991 has better handling, response and ride than the 997.....sorry for the confusion
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review!

I've been getting all kinds of weird looks from people lately, probably think I'm nuts driving this car through the kind of weather we've been having, but it's a blast.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:54 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

TYPO.....the 991 has better handling, response and ride than the 997.....sorry for the confusion
Sscofield I'm about to place am order for a TTS cab with your color combo, do you have any pics? Would love to see what it looks like.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Per your request.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Second pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 AM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a TTS home today after giving up on waiting for the GT3 - too early for initial impressions but I was impressed. My last three cars were 2007 997.1 TT, 2010 GT3 and 2012 991 Cab S; I put anywhere from 30 to 50,000 miles on all three of these cars. Besides the motor which I cannot evaluate other than to say the exhaust note is much, much better than the 2007 turbo; I can state that the PDK mapping is much better on the 2014 TTS than on the 2012 991 Cab S, the turn in on the TTS is very crisp and the car in flatter in corners than that 991 Cab which was equipped with PDCC as well, and the overall ride is better as well. In my opinion based on 100 miles, this TTS is a much better car than the 991 Cab S and light years ahead of the 997.1 TT. The GT3 is in a different category, but I know I will like the TTS better than the older GT3.

Last edited by NMM991; 05-20-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NMM991
Just bought a TTS home today after giving up on waiting for the GT3 - too early for initial impressions but I was impressed. My last three cars were 2007 997.1 TT, 2010 GT3 and 2012 991 Cab S; I put anywhere from 30 to 50,000 miles on all three of these cars. Besides the motor which I cannot evaluate other than to saw the exhaust note is much, much better than the 2007 turbo; I can state that the PDK mapping is much better on the 2014 TTS than on the 2012 991 Cab S, the turn in on the TTS is very crisp and the car in flatter in corners than that 991 Cab which was equipped with PDCC as well, and the overall ride is better as well. In my opinion based on 100 miles, this TTS is a much better car than the 991 Cab S and light years ahead of the 997.1 TT. The GT3 is in a different category, but I know I will like the TTS better than the older GT3.
Same here. I really wanted the GT3 but the ongoing drama wasn't worth it. I still subscribe to some of the threads and can now sit back and relax while it continues to unfold. What's crazy is how long it's taking porsche to figure this out and the communication has been horrible.

After being stuck in it for few months I wanted to boycott the brand but realized no one else makes a comparable car to the TTS cabriolet. So I sucked up my pride and haven't looked back!

Love my TTS, I'm not sure I would have been as happy with a GT3.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 AM
PMNewton
Instructor

Per your request.
How did you get the LED headlights with black housings?

- Patrick
Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Great review!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:01 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only complaint about the TTS is the stock exhaust is too quiet. Other than that, happy camper.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:02 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Should have gotten a cab! its much louder in a cab...

Quick Reply: Observations of the 2014 991 TT-S after 3229 miles