First impressions with the new 991 TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Cheers
Yo dawg what about the Prius brah. I have one, you wanna fight?

Last edited by atcbi5; 01-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
OK phew just as well. So long as they are not made by Porsche I'm sure they will be fine. Nothing worse than sitting on cheap plastic
I better add that car to my list now.

Sorry Leo. I gotta be honest and say that I can't afford to play everyday or I will never be able to afford my next car and that may mean I will have to convince myself (and everyone else silly enough to believe me) that my 997tt.1 is better than everything else newer that comes out for a long long time, and I just hate having a lend of myself..

And like yourself I am a car guy at heart and would love to have more than one super in the stable but at our prices unless I win lotto that aint gonna happen. Now, if i was in the states then that would be an entirely different story as i'd be good for 3 right now and still be "liven the dream"!. But it i$ as you say, if you have it, criticisms vanish and cars materialise IYKWIM. PS. Vivid would also be off the list too.
Paul you're in Australia right? So why are Porsches et al so expensive? Does the government just have a tax-the-rich mentality or is there some other reason for the huge premiums you pay? What is the local price of the new 991TTS you have your eye on? It just Would make me sick to pay 2X-3X the avg global price.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I'm pretty sure we all are gonna like the 991TT when it depreciate a littler and we can afford to buy it! Lmao
Agree!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^Import tax?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
^Import tax?
so soak-the-rich it is. How on earth do they justify a 200% import tax? I personally wouldn't pay that on principle! disgusting
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
philpj, let us know how the test drive goes.
What test drive?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
What test drive?
OP mentioned he will be test driving 991turbo. I cant afford one but im interested in hearing people impressions
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Ouch. LOL! something tells me you hit the nail squarely on the head with that one Leo!! Wow I can only just imagine the response I would have got If i'd have said that one Lmao!!! Ooooh boy looking into my crystal ball I can see a bad hair day, some tanties, along with a few water pistols being drawn now!!
***·hole noun \ˈas-ˌ(h)ōl\

Definition of *******

usually vulgar : anus
a usually vulgar : a stupid, incompetent, or detestable person
b usually vulgar : the worst place —used in phrases like ******* of the world
See ******* defined for English-language learners »
First Known Use of *******

Also known as "brave man with a keyboard".

14th century
Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: assi
Previous Word in the Dictionary: asshead
All Words Near: *******
Seen & Heard

Last edited by phillipj; 01-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by 550bryan
What test drive?
Yes Somehow my original post got lost in this..

I will drive it later this week..

It's really good to hear everyone's opinion on this car..And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer.

As for Leo's observation about Porsche going all PDK having to compete with the GTR I believe he is spot on. I guess he's right about guessing everyone's ages too!

Also I believe that as years go by younger people will have no idea why anyone would have wanted a manual transmission. It will seem to them like a "flip phone"..

I really don't have an issue with the PDK. Yes it would be great if they offered a manual but no other exotic car manufacturer does either..

As for muscle cars yes they are awesome. But I'm afraid that I was bitten by the exotic foreign car bug long ago.. No going back for me.

I also agree The McLaren is not the best looking car in the world.. But I was super impressed by my time in the car. The one I drove was wrapped in the Gulf Racing colors and it really looked amazing. And of course the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that!

It will be interesting to see how sales for the new TT go.. I may be surprised and they will fly out of the showrooms at $180k..

I like Leo and Speed (and I'm sure most of us) would by every car we fancied if we could afford it..

I soon as I drive the TT I will report back..
Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

+1 on all the comments about waiting for the 991TT & TTS to depreciate before acquiring one. I'd certainly be interested once used values get a little more realistic (assuming they ever do).
A comment about the 991TT interior: I wished Porsche had kept more old 911 DNA in the interiors of the 997 and up cars. I'm kind of old school about interiors and like my performance car interiors to be more functional than luxurious. Of course, I think the 993 interior is over the top so take that with a grain of salt . The exterior of the car is a step up from the 997, IMO, cleaner and more aggressive looking. I totally agree with the guy who said the quarter panels needed more angle to them, but overall I think it's a great look.
I'm looking forward to driving one, for sure.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Here are my impressions..

I was so excited to get in it..

When I sat in the car one word came to mind. "Cheap".. The seats are awful and look and feel cheap..It even smells cheap. I could have been sitting in a Boxster, Cayman or 991 Carrera and I wouldn't have known the difference. I'm not sure about seat options on the 991 but these were horrible..

In my opinion when you sit in a Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, Jag, etc they feels very special inside..They feel "expensive" and "exotic". The new TT is generic and boring. In my opinion they dropped the ball on this one in a big way.. Especially since the car (Especially the S which by the way has the same crappy interior.) is selling near the $200k mark..

The steering wheel is bland..The PCM is bland..It's like a Mini Van.. Nothing in the car feels like an exotic sports car.. It feels like a Lexus. I was so underwhelmed.

The interior does not feel like a sports car costing $170k.. In my opinion the seats and functional design in the 997 interior are far superior. The center console in the 991 gets in the way. Very much like in an Aston.. It just feels "wrong".

Really? I get the interior is the same in all P-cars, but cheap? My last P-Car was a 993 with full leather, it was nice, but comparing to the 991 and any new car it car very simple, not bad, just simple.

My 991 has great seats, ventilated and heated, the ventilation part is just great specially in Florida. The PCM location and layout beats the 997 and 996 in any ergonomics context, the 993 just did not have something similar.

I agree that a Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren interior is much nicer, but look at the price point of a 458 Italia.

When I seat in the 991 I feel like in a cocoon, same feeling you get on a Ferrari or Lambo with the high center console, something you did not have on any previous 911, so that for me was an evolution for Porsche.

I do not share your views on the interior of the 991, but then again everyone has their own opinions, and I wanted to share mine to bring a little perspective.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Yes Somehow my original post got lost in this..

I will drive it later this week..

It's really good to hear everyone's opinion on this car..And yes for most of us I guess the price of the 991 TT is the killer.

As for Leo's observation about Porsche going all PDK having to compete with the GTR I believe he is spot on. I guess he's right about guessing everyone's ages too!

Also I believe that as years go by younger people will have no idea why anyone would have wanted a manual transmission. It will seem to them like a "flip phone"..

I really don't have an issue with the PDK. Yes it would be great if they offered a manual but no other exotic car manufacturer does either..

As for muscle cars yes they are awesome. But I'm afraid that I was bitten by the exotic foreign car bug long ago.. No going back for me.

I also agree The McLaren is not the best looking car in the world.. But I was super impressed by my time in the car. The one I drove was wrapped in the Gulf Racing colors and it really looked amazing. And of course the reason I didn't buy one is because I cannot afford a $225K car. I have no problem saying that!

It will be interesting to see how sales for the new TT go.. I may be surprised and they will fly out of the showrooms at $180k..

I like Leo and Speed (and I'm sure most of us) would by every car we fancied if we could afford it..

I soon as I drive the TT I will report back..
Phillip, Just kidding with the test drive quote, a comment on how the thread had lost it's way, I'm looking forward to your test drive observations as well…...
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The new 991 Turbo is expensive. I get that. But it is 2014, so life is such. Everything is getting expensive.

I not sure why some people confuse the 991TT with an exotic however? Is it the price point perhaps?
It is afterall a 4 seat grand touring coupe.
The Gallardo, MP12 and 458 are 2 seat exotic traffic stoppers. New or used. Different market IMO.

The 991 Turbo is just a Carrera 4 with wider hips and a couple of turbos/plumbing installed. Priced accordingly based on those additions of course.
I do not view it as being a stand alone model compared the the rest of the 991 line up. With options like full leather,seats etc you can have it fairly luxurious if you desire.

If i were in the market for such vehicle specifications and had the money, it would be bought regardless of depreciation futures. New with warranty. Sign me up. Their target market is as such.

Personally I am not comfortable with the new console theme or all the damn buttons in the 991, but I feel the overall performance would make one forget about those characteristics in time…

I really enjoy the shorter wheel based and size of the 997 series. In time i wonder if it will be more/less desireable then the 991?
A 2013 997.2 TTS is almost the same performance as the 991TTS as they share the same powertrain if that is worth anything...

Is the wider, longer, rear wheel steering 991 really worth trading up regardless of price difference?
New owners have said yes.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Really? I get the interior is the same in all P-cars, but cheap? My last P-Car was a 993 with full leather, it was nice, but comparing to the 991 and any new car it car very simple, not bad, just simple.

My 991 has great seats, ventilated and heated, the ventilation part is just great specially in Florida. The PCM location and layout beats the 997 and 996 in any ergonomics context, the 993 just did not have something similar.

I agree that a Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren interior is much nicer, but look at the price point of a 458 Italia.

When I seat in the 991 I feel like in a cocoon, same feeling you get on a Ferrari or Lambo with the high center console, something you did not have on any previous 911, so that for me was an evolution for Porsche.

I do not share your views on the interior of the 991, but then again everyone has their own opinions, and I wanted to share mine to bring a little perspective.
That's one of the reasons I wrote my views.. I wanted to hear what others thought. Maybe it's just me. Lots of people like it. It's good to get your real life impressions of the 991..

I guess I just had hoped for more an evolution of the 911. To it just feels like they plugged in the Panamera. To some I guess it is the right evolution... I know the ventilated seats are great. I just don't like the way the look and feel..

To me it just feels wrong.. And that is just me..
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The new 991 Turbo is expensive. I get that. But it is 2014, so life is such. Everything is getting expensive.

I not sure why some people confuse the 991TT with an exotic however? Is it the price point perhaps?
It is afterall a 4 seat grand touring coupe.
The Gallardo, MP12 and 458 are 2 seat exotic traffic stoppers. New or used. Different market IMO.

The 991 Turbo is just a Carrera 4 with wider hips and a couple of turbos/plumbing installed. Priced accordingly based on those additions of course.
I do not view it as being a stand alone model compared the the rest of the 991 line up. With options like full leather,seats etc you can have it fairly luxurious if you desire.

If i were in the market for such vehicle specifications and had the money, it would be bought regardless of depreciation futures. New with warranty. Sign me up. Their target market is as such.

Personally I am not comfortable with the new console theme or all the damn buttons in the 991, but I feel the overall performance would make one forget about those characteristics in time…

I really enjoy the shorter wheel based and size of the 997 series. In time i wonder if it will be more/less desireable then the 991?
A 2013 997.2 TTS is almost the same performance as the 991TTS as they share the same powertrain if that is worth anything...

Is the wider, longer, rear wheel steering 991 really worth trading up regardless of price difference?
New owners have said yes.
Valid points. I guess time will tell.. Maybe I will be in love with the 991 after I drive it!

Quick Reply: First impressions with the new 991 TT