Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo not what it used to be....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

I believe the TTS comes standard with LED lights,....where anything below that level is buyers choice between Xenon, Xenon PDL & LED.

I'm wondering if it's just the LED light in question as all the other 991 family regularly use the Xenon/PDL light versions,.....and I have never heard of it happening in those cars. I would not think the Xenon lights for TT cars would be any different compared to any other 991.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
jacklman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spoke with service manager, No lamp, no ETA. Just called PCNA to gripe, I have a case#, but because of the holidays, they may not call me back till after Thanksgiving. We shall see what happens....12 days and counting.....this is not cool
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
jacklman
AutoX

Got my car back yesterday afternoon. They finally took a headlight off another turbo and put it on my car. Happy Thanksgiving, thankful for the Rennlist Forum for the support you have given me.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
Incredible brakes!
Good humor!

Op--keep us posted!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jacklman
Got my car back yesterday afternoon. They finally took a headlight off another turbo and put it on my car. Happy Thanksgiving, thankful for the Rennlist Forum for the support you have given me.
Fantastic !! Happy for you! Happy TG!!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I believe the TTS comes standard with LED lights,....where anything below that level is buyers choice between Xenon, Xenon PDL & LED.

I'm wondering if it's just the LED light in question as all the other 991 family regularly use the Xenon/PDL light versions,.....and I have never heard of it happening in those cars. I would not think the Xenon lights for TT cars would be any different compared to any other 991.
Have never heard of this happening w/ the standard lights on the 991, it has to be something to do w/ the LED light housing. I fully plan on testing mine out w/ some threshold braking as soon as I get it, within a mile or two of the dealer, lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

glad it worked out for you in end. i had same thing happen to me when i drove home with new to me lotus elise. hit bump in highway and light just popped out. i had to stop and pick it up. lotus clip is piece of junk so i just put clear 3m film over it and so far so good.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Been driving my 14 TS for weeks and no issue at all with lights (tight)Went to dealer to check torque on the center locks before track duty..All Perfect...They have never heard any issues with the lights..Someone did not tighten in Germany... The 14 Turbo S is soo Bad ***...
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That definitely sucks. Several years ago I had a new 996 Turbo S that I had to return 4 times to get them to fix a headlight that would work only intermittently.

But my expectations have been reset after purchasing a brand new 600+ car of another make only to have a rod fail on a spirited drive up to Palomar Mountain. Punched a hole in the block... I won't say what brand. But, given the stated HP, you can narrow down the list fairly quickly. The manufacturer replaced the engine under warranty. Still, I don't trust the car anymore.

P.S. For those who are curious... no I didn't hear it coming. I had the windows up and radio blasting. Never thought I'd need to drive with the radio off and windows down to listen for rod knock in a brand new car on public roads.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM
PORSCHE_TECH
Cruisin'

That's a bummer. I think the dealer could take care of you, but they don't want to remove a light from another new vehicle. Sucks... Usually the vehicles are checked and inspected by a Posche Technician and also test drivin for Q.C. Maybe its not the same..
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
That definitely sucks. Several years ago I had a new 996 Turbo S that I had to return 4 times to get them to fix a headlight that would work only intermittently.

But my expectations have been reset after purchasing a brand new 600+ car of another make only to have a rod fail on a spirited drive up to Palomar Mountain. Punched a hole in the block... I won't say what brand. But, given the stated HP, you can narrow down the list fairly quickly. The manufacturer replaced the engine under warranty. Still, I don't trust the car anymore.

P.S. For those who are curious... no I didn't hear it coming. I had the windows up and radio blasting. Never thought I'd need to drive with the radio off and windows down to listen for rod knock in a brand new car on public roads.
Does it rhyme with sniper?
J
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Were these two headlight incidents resolved and have other new 991 owners experienced this type of failures?

The rule used to be that you never purchased the first model year of a GM product because of potential quality concerns, but in a Porsche? In their halo street car?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Sad to report that the same thing just happened to me today...hit the brakes and the driver's side LED lamp assembly went flying across the pavement in front of me I'm right at about 4k miles on my 991TT now.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:11 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Sad to report that the same thing just happened to me today...hit the brakes and the driver's side LED lamp assembly went flying across the pavement in front of me I'm right at about 4k miles on my 991TT now.
Did you happen to install a clear-bra?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, but in my case the light assembly did not get removed in the process (I assume that's why you are asking(?)).

Quick Reply: Turbo not what it used to be....