Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Turbo not what it used to be....

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Rocket_boy
User

I believe the TTS comes standard with LED lights,....where anything below that level is buyers choice between Xenon, Xenon PDL & LED.

I'm wondering if it's just the LED light in question as all the other 991 family regularly use the Xenon/PDL light versions,.....and I have never heard of it happening in those cars. I would not think the Xenon lights for TT cars would be any different compared to any other 991.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
jacklman
User

Just spoke with service manager, No lamp, no ETA. Just called PCNA to gripe, I have a case#, but because of the holidays, they may not call me back till after Thanksgiving. We shall see what happens....12 days and counting.....this is not cool
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
jacklman
User

Got my car back yesterday afternoon. They finally took a headlight off another turbo and put it on my car. Happy Thanksgiving, thankful for the Rennlist Forum for the support you have given me.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 AM
fester
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WaltB View Post
Incredible brakes!
Good humor!

Op--keep us posted!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 AM
fester
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacklman View Post
Got my car back yesterday afternoon. They finally took a headlight off another turbo and put it on my car. Happy Thanksgiving, thankful for the Rennlist Forum for the support you have given me.
Fantastic !! Happy for you! Happy TG!!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
ajag
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy View Post
I believe the TTS comes standard with LED lights,....where anything below that level is buyers choice between Xenon, Xenon PDL & LED.

I'm wondering if it's just the LED light in question as all the other 991 family regularly use the Xenon/PDL light versions,.....and I have never heard of it happening in those cars. I would not think the Xenon lights for TT cars would be any different compared to any other 991.
Have never heard of this happening w/ the standard lights on the 991, it has to be something to do w/ the LED light housing. I fully plan on testing mine out w/ some threshold braking as soon as I get it, within a mile or two of the dealer, lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
95spiderman
User

glad it worked out for you in end. i had same thing happen to me when i drove home with new to me lotus elise. hit bump in highway and light just popped out. i had to stop and pick it up. lotus clip is piece of junk so i just put clear 3m film over it and so far so good.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM
08viper1
User

Been driving my 14 TS for weeks and no issue at all with lights (tight)Went to dealer to check torque on the center locks before track duty..All Perfect...They have never heard any issues with the lights..Someone did not tighten in Germany... The 14 Turbo S is soo Bad ***...
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
GT3_racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

That definitely sucks. Several years ago I had a new 996 Turbo S that I had to return 4 times to get them to fix a headlight that would work only intermittently.

But my expectations have been reset after purchasing a brand new 600+ car of another make only to have a rod fail on a spirited drive up to Palomar Mountain. Punched a hole in the block... I won't say what brand. But, given the stated HP, you can narrow down the list fairly quickly. The manufacturer replaced the engine under warranty. Still, I don't trust the car anymore.

P.S. For those who are curious... no I didn't hear it coming. I had the windows up and radio blasting. Never thought I'd need to drive with the radio off and windows down to listen for rod knock in a brand new car on public roads.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM
PORSCHE_TECH
User

That's a bummer. I think the dealer could take care of you, but they don't want to remove a light from another new vehicle. Sucks... Usually the vehicles are checked and inspected by a Posche Technician and also test drivin for Q.C. Maybe its not the same..
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 AM
96redLT4
Super User

Originally Posted by GT3_racer View Post
That definitely sucks. Several years ago I had a new 996 Turbo S that I had to return 4 times to get them to fix a headlight that would work only intermittently.

But my expectations have been reset after purchasing a brand new 600+ car of another make only to have a rod fail on a spirited drive up to Palomar Mountain. Punched a hole in the block... I won't say what brand. But, given the stated HP, you can narrow down the list fairly quickly. The manufacturer replaced the engine under warranty. Still, I don't trust the car anymore.

P.S. For those who are curious... no I didn't hear it coming. I had the windows up and radio blasting. Never thought I'd need to drive with the radio off and windows down to listen for rod knock in a brand new car on public roads.
Does it rhyme with sniper?
J
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM
EDEZ TT
User

I'm reading this thread in disbelief. Were these two headlight incidents resolved and have other new 991 owners experienced this type of failures?

The rule used to be that you never purchased the first model year of a GM product because of potential quality concerns, but in a Porsche? In their halo street car?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 AM
boxer-11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sad to report that the same thing just happened to me today...hit the brakes and the driver's side LED lamp assembly went flying across the pavement in front of me I'm right at about 4k miles on my 991TT now.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:11 PM
enzom
User

Originally Posted by boxer-11 View Post
Sad to report that the same thing just happened to me today...hit the brakes and the driver's side LED lamp assembly went flying across the pavement in front of me I'm right at about 4k miles on my 991TT now.
Did you happen to install a clear-bra?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
boxer-11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, but in my case the light assembly did not get removed in the process (I assume that's why you are asking(?)).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo not what it used to be....

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: