Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S -- so cool, you can pass illegally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
B E A U T I F U L
I'm tending towards liking this new Turbo and I really never could come to look past the appearance of the 997 Turbo, though I liked what it has underneath. A lot. So I find myself all the more impressed as I watch the videos again just now.

It goes to show how just a little music makes all the difference. The same video, below, with sultry, elegant music, is to me, a yawner and set my thoughts along the lines of "never gonna happen." The second instance of the same video, with energetic music (though corny and "obvious") made no bones about saying "bang the rocks together!" That helped me make a 180 degree about face and start looking at the car without trying to spreadsheet the stats or nit pick over the pet peeves.

Soporific:

Speeding Tickets be damned:

As others have noted, I'll circle my calendar for 12 months after the initial "first kid on the block" selling dies down, then I'll be looking for a huge (huge!) discount and order one with whatever the next power increment might be -- surely more like the 600+ of the GT2RS, for Pete's sake! The aftermarket often parts bins the nifty 2RS IC's and there's shops like Sharkwerks to laptop a second engine computer (to keep the original box for warranty snooping, etc.)

Then, just put tin foil over the nav antenna so the Porsche black helicopters can't track me by the nav GPS and photograph my VIN at the track ... and the tin foil hat, of course, in case Porsche now has spy satellites with continuous object surveillance for all Porsches in the vicinity of motorsports venues ...

And then ... trust that nothing goes schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparksen.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how much to replace the active chin spoiler?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Hussain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably won't know that for a little while. I would guess $100-$200, I wonder what it would look like painted...I read the McLaren's bumperette for scrapes is $80. I was surprised, I would think more for the premium type car etc. I guess I just imagine a Ferrari chin spoiler costing $1k. LOL.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Knickers in a bind? You can't help yourself, can you?
As for money, Porsche is all about shaving pennies and has been since the early 90's when they opened the kimono to Toyota to adopt their logistics and production efficiencies models, BPR, etc. If that plastic bit in the door saved them retooling for the mirror to move out onto the door panel, they'd choose the plastic bit every time. There was a great magazine article when Porsche did the first wet turbo ('01?) and reviewed all the concessions to production engineering (such as plastic inlets instead of "in the metal" as with the 993 Turbo S. Ever since, Porsche has gone with exposed plastic and reserved the "money no object" expertise to be showcased in the masterpiece of the Carrera GT.
So the pot calls the kettle black.....

....and the plastic

....at least we agree on the car being nice.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
So the pot calls the kettle black.....

....and the plastic

....at least we agree on the car being nice.
I'm not calling you anything, nor am I insulting you as you have insulted me and others on this thread by saying their comments about the turbo were laughable. You used the word "funny" to mean laughable, not humorous, and you imagined Porsche engineers would be reading comments here with the same contempt.

The shame of it being that you feel at liberty to be insulting and derail a thread with personal attacks. But when you're called on it and given the opportunity to revise some perhaps poorly chosen words, you hurl more insults.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm not calling you anything, nor am I insulting you as you have insulted me and others on this thread by saying their comments about the turbo were laughable. You used the word "funny" to mean laughable, not humorous, and you imagined Porsche engineers would be reading comments here with the same contempt.

The shame of it being that you feel at liberty to be insulting and derail a thread with personal attacks. But when you're called on it and given the opportunity to revise some perhaps poorly chosen words, you hurl more insults.
Talk about making up a storm in a teacup. As you clearly have a personal issue with me, if you wish to take it further then use the PM system and stop your derailing the thread... preferably just move on.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hussain
Probably won't know that for a little while. I would guess $100-$200, I wonder what it would look like painted...I read the McLaren's bumperette for scrapes is $80. I was surprised, I would think more for the premium type car etc. I guess I just imagine a Ferrari chin spoiler costing $1k. LOL.
the current one costs about $200. This thing being motorized has gotta cost more.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Hussain
Advanced

Originally Posted by kosmo
the current one costs about $200. This thing being motorized has gotta cost more.
You're absolutely right
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd prefer to scrap the active front aero and put the GT3 front end on instead.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Hussain
Advanced

I wonder if it'll fit.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S -- so cool, you can pass illegally!