Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo -- what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I was just wondering about the weight of the car. The car looks heavier...Do you know how much heavier this is over a 997TT coupe?
(I weighed my 2008GT2 and it weighed in at 3160; no passenger seat, no driver, but for the life of me I cannot remember how much fuel I had in it...)
997.2 tt was 3,516 lbs with PDK
The Turbo S (pdk) was slightly lower because of PCCB's 3,494 lbs

my 996tt with full tank of gas and no rear seats or spare tire came in at 3385 lbs
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also worried about the sound. No trace of PSE on the configurator, no mention of engine sound on the microsite.

I am quite addicted to the sound of the PSE on my 991 S.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when it comes to weight, I cant understand, given the TT position in the line up, why weight savings materials arent used. What about the CF hood and fenders from the GT2 rs? what a about a CF roof, deck lid, and spoiler? I mean the up coming Vette will offer this. I dont get it.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
when it comes to weight, I cant understand, given the TT position in the line up, why weight savings materials arent used. What about the CF hood and fenders from the GT2 rs? what a about a CF roof, deck lid, and spoiler? I mean the up coming Vette will offer this. I dont get it.
I was expecting that the 991 tt would be the lightest modern turbo yet. But they added RWS, mandatory PDK, a freakish wide body car with over engenereed brakes, wheel/tires and some fancy active areo. They did a great job keeping the weight the same as the out going model.
Only thing is that is nothing I wanted from it. Keep the 997 turbo intakes, drop the ugly fog lights, increase the hp, drop the weight to the 991 C4S level and add the wieght of the turbos. Would have been an awesome car.

Last edited by jumper5836; 05-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cab will prob be 3800lbs!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

I like it!
Still want a manual though...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Just not feeling it. It reminds me of the old Strosek wide body kits. There was another company in Florida that used to make these super wide body kits. I think they were called Graziano or Fabiano, I can't remember. The 911 was all about that Coke bottle shape. Compact, easy to place, and not too wide like other more exotic cars. It is losing that imo. The 997 looks perfectly proportioned, now even more so.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It REALLY needed the side vents as seen in the Boxster or Cayman. They look better in side profile. The *** is great (as usual on a 911), but the front and sides need work. Its a real shame. I think I prefer the 997 GT3 as a fav "current" car.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by Igooz
I am sure that many of the folks on this forum are the potential buyers for the new 991TT. I just saw the pictures of the new 991 Turbo. It looks very awesome and it will be even wider than the C4S...more power and PDK only...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...-of-991-Turbo/

I have been commuting in a TT since 2001 in my 996TT and I always thought that I would be the first to replace my '07TT with the new body style...but I am not sure about that anymore. I kind of like what I have...and I can live with its "shortcomings" versus the new car.

Maybe the new car will grow on me?
My two cents -- I've been down this road for the past two days and my head still hurts.

I have an 09 Mezger TT that I love. But for whatever reason I decided to take a close look at the new 2014 TT. Here's what I came away with:

1] I was a bit dismayed that Porsche decided to go PDK ONLY. I'm a 6-speed guy as you might imagine, and for all the reasons you might imagine. So that put me off because I saw it as a slap in the face to customers who enjoy shifting. That said, I understand progress and tried to keep an open mind. After all, I could just keep my current car and add to the collection when I didn't feel like shifting.

2] The new design doesn't exactly dazzle me. It's lost it's pugnacious demeanor. Maybe it's too refined. Too feminized. Too civilized in appearance...visually tame. So I'm obviously not sold on the aesthetics at the moment, but things change.

3] I found myself looking at other vehicles for the first time in 18 years. This is not good. Porsche is pushing into territories that blend it's identity with other manufacturers, like Ferrari.

I have been faithful to Porsche for 30 years, but it may now be time for me to move on.

It was a great ride -- and still is with my 09 TT, which is where I decided to stay.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jrusovich,

I have to agree with you compltetly.. Unfortunetly Porsche wants to attract a new audience and buyer. VW wants to double the amount of units sold. They will dilute the brand.. That is not good. Ferrari would never do that.. Neither would Loius Vuitton. I'm sure the car will be awesome.. But i also agree that for the first time I am looking outside Porsche as well.

I told my friend that if I see a new turbo with a young asian girl driving it with stuffed animals in the back window that will be the last straw.

I'm looking forward to the new entry level McLaren due out soon. I have been driving an MP4 12C (the owner of my company has one) and it's an absolutely amazing car.. I want one but can't swing the price.

I love my 997 TT. It's the best car I have ever had.. But like you said.. It may be time to move on...

The interior in the new 991 makes me want to take a nap.....That is not what a porsche looks liike..It's what a BMW or Mercedes looks like.. Blah....
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
jrusovich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phillipj
Jrusovich,

I have to agree with you compltetly.. Unfortunetly Porsche wants to attract a new audience and buyer. VW wants to double the amount of units sold. They will dilute the brand.. That is not good. Ferrari would never do that.. Neither would Loius Vuitton. I'm sure the car will be awesome.. But i also agree that for the first time I am looking outside Porsche as well.

I told my friend that if I see a new turbo with a young asian girl driving it with stuffed animals in the back window that will be the last straw.

I'm looking forward to the new entry level McLaren due out soon. I have been driving an MP4 12C (the owner of my company has one) and it's an absolutely amazing car.. I want one but can't swing the price.

I love my 997 TT. It's the best car I have ever had.. But like you said.. It may be time to move on...

The interior in the new 991 makes me want to take a nap.....That is not what a porsche looks liike..It's what a BMW or Mercedes looks like.. Blah....
Yea, it's definitely the end of an era. Sad but true. If I ever buy another TT, it will be the 2012 997 TT 6-speed. It's the last of the 997 bodies and the last of the 6-speeds.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Hussain
Advanced

It's understandable to think that way, even when I drove the 997.2 TTS I missed my 997.1 MT, but I think Porsche realizes this and have made it rewarding somehow perhaps in an alternative way.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

This will keep older turbo prices up there especially 996 and 997 versions. This is a good thing for current owners.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Planning on keeping my 997TT but will take a very serious look at the 991 GT3 to replace my 2009 Z06. Then again, I'm also going to have to take a serious look at the next gen ZR-1 because it will probably be in the 700 hp range and that might be interesting, especially if steering feel and interior have been improved over the Z06 (still a very fun car to drive, though!).
Come on - its a GM. I haven't seen a nice interior in a long long time.

Originally Posted by shawsan
As Porsche says, the new turbo and other models will be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

In Canada, that means paying about $210K for a reasonably optioned 911 Turbo, with prices falling by about $40K after one year, $75K after 2 years. A friend bought a 2010 Panamera Turbo S for $170K Cdn from a dealer and was offered $70K trade-in after 2 years with reasonable mileage.

Why not wait a few years and let the beast drop by $70-100K. If yr. impatient, buy a 2012 Turbo S for $50K below sales price, with reasonable options.

Some of us are just fed up with people scurrying about buying 21 variations of the same platfor, at high prices, with huge depreciation. We, as buyers need to be smarter.
+1 I'm opening my own independent dealership for this mkt. --life is odd the places it takes you,but... I got in my 07 997TT in '10 CPO--1 owner 17k miles etc.. tad under $79k. that car today... 35k $75k easy all day... of course thats not the stage 2 FVD 555hp /550tq mine is pushing now..

I read on a ferrari board "thank you to all the fellow ferrari owners that think their car only losses 2-3% per year--or nothing... no really thank you! I drive the **** out of my car and it doesn't cost me anything really.

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I also appreciate (more and more) the simplicity of the 997 interior - looks like that was the last model to hark back to the earliest 911 interiors. Simple interior, manual 6-speed, bullet-proof engine, enough power for the street, all-weather capability, exterior styling that I still think is drop-dead gorgeous - doesn't all of this scream "classic car" 25 years from now? I just don't think I can give up my 997TT - I just have this uneasy feeling that I would come to regret it very much after a while.
+1. This has been added to the first car I ever bought brand new 03 M3.. now a CSL clone that just made 100k this wkd.

Can't build a collection if you keep selling them.

Originally Posted by kosmo
Profits + room for GT2 = marketing> Walter Rohl..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Hussain
Advanced

All true my friend, well put!

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo -- what do you think?