Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts
Default PPF for the WIN!!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1426...l#post19604880
Old 08-20-2024, 10:48 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Yep, had a similar experience when my front right headlamp got cracked, PPF protected the rest and has been a godsend. I don't have my whole car done, but when it's time to redo/reapply, I might do the whole thing with how much I daily it. I have the XPEL "Track Package" which hits a lot of major parts, basically just everything except the rear bumper and quarter panels. Have had no issues so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by RSBro:
Pb Pedis (08-22-2024), RadarP3C (08-21-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:05 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 658 Posts

First mod was full car XPel PPF. Saved me 2 weeks after it was on - rock on the highway scratched the front fender, but $200 later and the PPF on that panel was replaced with no impact on the paint. For me it's just piece of mind - I don't have to obsess over the condition of the paint and I can just enjoy the drive.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 11:13 AM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Also makes it easy to do a quick wipe down with a microfiber rag, dry or damp, and you know you're not scratching the paint underneath.
Having a metallic blue finish, it does dull the sparkle a bit, but much rather have it than not!
Old 08-22-2024, 11:36 AM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it worked out. Have a similar situation right now with our X5. Front of bumper was hit in parking lot. Stupid...someone just pulled to far forward and must have tapped our truck. PPF was slightly damaged, but did not appear to scrape paint. I was relieved. PPF for the win!

Took it back to the xPel dealer to have it replaced. Got the call...unfortunately during removal the paint lifted. Happened in a completely different area than where the ppf was damaged. Off to the body shop it goes for a respray.

Of note...we ordered the X5 new in 2020 and had it paint corrected and xPel installed after a couple of months of owning. Point being, original paint and had plenty of time to cure. I've done some research and spoke with my main detailer (different shop) and it is not an uncommon occurrence. He told me he's seen it happen on all high-end makes. Usually on the flexible bumper covers these cars have today.

So I'm torn on the merits of ppf. I have it on my TTS and others. I'll replace it on the X5, as most of the truck is also covered. Not sure I'd do it again on a non-daily car.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:09 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

Not a Porsche story, but my wife "kissed" our home garage door framing with the front passenger fender a few years back. There were long white house paint streaks and partially torn areas on the PPF-covered fender. When I removed the PPF, there was zero damage to the paint.

Quick Reply: PPF for the WIN!!!!