Sponsored by: Road Spy

New Porsche 991 1/2 Mile World Record: 220 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 02:45 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSlipNot
Congratulations! UGR folks are probably not thrilled at this development... all that displacement and force distribution among 10cyls and still being spanked by 6-bangers. AFAIK, GTRs at that level are a good 500hp at the wheels over your crank output. Whatever Emre is doing to keep that thing planted is epic.

I'm just starting to relearn my car now that its running on motec and never cease to be impressed at how far these aftermarket builds are past the cream of manufacturer crop.Just dawned on me too that you blew by the top speed of a RUF CTR... in 1/2 a mile. RUF should probably call Emre themselves .
Thanks, man! Yeah, we are punching above our weight.
Yes, I don't think most people understand how good Emre is. Not just at making high power, but all of the little details. Car making tons of power, putting it down and logs are super clean. Also have to give props to the boyz at AIM for the setup of the car. Suspension and ride height are perfect. Great tire advice, etc.

Best wishes with you car!
Old 08-12-2024, 02:47 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
@8SecDD As usual mind blowing result.

I have a question about the acceleration graph:

Is the noise in the graph the result of poor signal acquisition, sampling, and conditioning?

Or is the thing struggling that much for traction over the run?

I would expect to see some evidence of “struggling” when acceleration is greater than ~1G (on treaded street tires) below 80-ish mph when aero downforce starts to matter. But, in your graph, above that there’s still very significant variation in display acceleration which I would not expect to see.
I have no idea. I am no Dragy expert. I just turn it on and run.
Was not struggling for traction that much. Emre has it running near the limits of traction but car felt planted on this pass.

Old 08-12-2024, 02:50 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ23
Absolutely amazing. Very impressive my friend. I noticed that your tune allows you to go beyond the Red-line limit. Is that true. If so I'm sure that
helps achieve such acceleration.

Nice post.

Jay
Thank you, Jay. Yes, that's true. Definitely helps/is necessary.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:51 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by lituoklis88
I watched it live. Good run, looked easy too. Good Job!
Nice. Yes, was a drama-free pass.
Old 08-12-2024, 03:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by 8SecDD
I have no idea. I am no Dragy expert. I just turn it on and run.
Was not struggling for traction that much. Emre has it running near the limits of traction but car felt planted on this pass.
Fair’nough.

Looking at your last screenshot posted above:

Is it shifting at about 140 mph and again at about 180 mph?
Old 08-12-2024, 03:41 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Fair’nough.

Yes. You can see that in the video I posted above (in-car cam).
Old 08-12-2024, 03:56 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Killing it as usual Dave. Bartending the parking lot on Friday, 220 passes on Saturday.

Fair’nough.

Yeah its the shifts, watch the video goes into 5th at around 145, 6th right around 180.

@8SecDD As usual mind blowing result.

I have a question about the acceleration graph:

Is the noise in the graph the result of poor signal acquisition, sampling, and conditioning?

Or is the thing struggling that much for traction over the run?

I would expect to see some evidence of “struggling” when acceleration is greater than ~1G (on treaded street tires) below 80-ish mph when aero downforce starts to matter. But, in your graph, above that there’s still very significant variation in display acceleration which I would not expect to see.
The noise is the acceleration graph, dips are usually loss of traction and shifts even a fast shifting pdk will have a dip, a manual car will have an even bigger dip . The car makes 1500whp, probably even a little more to go 220 and is making a pass on an unprepped surface thats anything but smooth and has dips, ruts, ect.
Old 08-12-2024, 04:10 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSlipNot
Congratulations! UGR folks are probably not thrilled at this development... all that displacement and force distribution among 10cyls and still being spanked by 6-bangers. AFAIK, GTRs at that level are a good 500hp at the wheels over your crank output. Whatever Emre is doing to keep that thing planted is epic.

I'm just starting to relearn my car now that its running on motec and never cease to be impressed at how far these aftermarket builds are past the cream of manufacturer crop.Just dawned on me too that you blew by the top speed of a RUF CTR... in 1/2 a mile. RUF should probably call Emre themselves .
They went 260+ and have the overall 1/2 mile record, I think their slowest car this weekend went 240. They literally dont care.
Originally Posted by RSBro
I'm pretty sure UGR set a new world record w/ a Lambo STO for hitting 260mph+, IIRC, per their IG page.

I get what you're saying with the resources poured into those UGRs, which are amazing in their own right, but not sure 40+mph behind is 'spanking'... As long as they're both doing the 1/2 mile which I think they are. My track tech has a UGR Gallardo which I've ridden in and it's something to experience first-hand.

Either way, congrats to anyone setting new records, this will be a fun video to watch during lunch!
This, when it comes to 1/2 stuff the lambo will always be king. Especially the STO , the aero, the traction and not just power. The one other lambo from horsepower lounge did go 251 so other shops are figuring it out . The v10 platform will always be king.
Old 08-14-2024, 08:49 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
Killing it as usual Dave. Bartending the parking lot on Friday, 220 passes on Saturday.
Thanks, Arkady. LOL Those Map 8 Margaritas are popular.
Old 08-17-2024, 11:24 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

wow great job - and it seems relatively drama free for 220
Old 08-17-2024, 05:49 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by rodsky
wow great job - and it seems relatively drama free for 220
Thanks! Yes, no sketchy moments thankfully.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:09 PM
TurboSlipNot
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
They went 260+ and have the overall 1/2 mile record, I think their slowest car this weekend went 240. They literally dont care.

This, when it comes to 1/2 stuff the lambo will always be king. Especially the STO , the aero, the traction and not just power. The one other lambo from horsepower lounge did go 251 so other shops are figuring it out . The v10 platform will always be king.
Agreed overall, the 10s dimensions being derived from vw manufacturing setups for turbo motors can't hurt but I think you hit the nail on the head far as traction. Its not a power game as much as a grip game at these levels and down force is mechanically free grip. Financially free it is not... While Emres built products aren't exactly cheap, they don't cost you a corporate exit to complete. Dollar for dollar, cylinder for cylinder, or by most other proportional measures; this seems a hell of a lot more efficient. My personal experience with aim aside, owners on this forum seem to have very daily-able cars posting these numbers from their builds which isn't something a v10 is from the factory (drove a 2020 8P for 2mo - great fun if short on torque but insanely impractical). We might not beat them outright when they bring their toys in on a trailer, but we will enjoy defeating the ones in our bracket and driving both there and back home.

Re them not caring - most zombies don't . The V10 is out of the market, making for a finite potential market in which to operate and relegating all R&D to the vintage section. There is no analog replacement so driveline logic, mechanics, and tuning strategies will have to get a lot more advanced to handle the hybrid world. While R8s stand out when we see them outside, the sales numbers were never great and despite all the hyping the huracan sold even less. We're looking at just over 1k/y together in the US if not less (https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/audi-r8-sales-figures/ & https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/audi-r8-sales-figures/). Porsche is very likely to be the last manufacturer standing in the IC motors world given the customer base which to me says that the R&D investment in these platforms is worth it especially as the 992 uses more or less the same motor as us and whatever advancements in tuning/builds are made specific to the flat6 may be useful down the line when the next generation arrives. There are a ton more flat 6 motors sold over the same model years (https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/porsch...sales-figures/). If they're a business designed to make profit and don't care about a shrinking market compared to a larger semi-tapped one... i guess that's their call. IMO, whomever figures out how to properly tap the Porsche one for this stuff (at a level of total packaging/hassle-free ownership which Porsche drivers desire) is going to be able to buy a 959 from the petty cash drawer.

Last edited by TurboSlipNot; 08-17-2024 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 09:29 PM
alaris
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 81 Posts

Grew up going to the bonneville salt flats. Has anyone run a turbo on longer courses. What kind of speed would you see if geared for a long course do you think?
Old 08-18-2024, 02:29 PM
TurboSlipNot
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alaris
Grew up going to the bonneville salt flats. Has anyone run a turbo on longer courses. What kind of speed would you see if geared for a long course do you think?
The 300zx thing was less 300 than these builds are 991s as I recall and it inherently has a drag coefficient approaching that of a bullet even before all the aero work . Given the cross section we have it would take significantly more power than the slick salt flats bodies to reach those speeds. Tires are another constraint. That said... what would it actually take to max out 7th?
The following users liked this post:
alaris (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 08:10 PM
8SecDD
Racer

Originally Posted by alaris
Joe Santos (one of the two owners of AIM Performance) drove a 997 at Johnny Bohmers event at NASA Space Center a few years ago. I was there. We ran on the 3 mile shuttle landing runway. Joe stayed in his 1/2 mile pull and was going to run a mile, but he lifted when the moon roof caught air and ripped off. LOL I believe he got to 142mph or so before lifting and would have gone faster. Not sure how much gear he had left.

Not sure what a 991 would do.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 991 1/2 Mile World Record: 220 mph