Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

GT3 Rotors on a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024 | 03:20 PM
MACCTURBO
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 Rotors on a Turbo

Can iron 991.1 GT3 rotors be installed on a 991.1 turbo (red calipers)? Wonder there would be any advantages or weight savings? Also would there be an improvement to run GT3 pads (almost positive those are compatible)?

Old 07-31-2024 | 01:44 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

I just upgraded/changed both on my .2 TT.

Get the Girodisc 380mm Fronts and Rears, you'll be set.

For pads, yes the GT4/GT3 pads WILL fit, but remember they're made to slow down a much lighter car, at technically slower speeds, depending on if you're coming off a corner or straight line, the Turbo will potentially be carrying a lot more speed, and especially weight, so naturally will wear a lot quicker.

I'd go with the Giro rotors first and either replace with OEM or Textar pads and see how you like it. Is this just for everyday use or track? Mine's both. After talking with Giro, they swayed me away from any 'race' pad as they make more noise, dust, etc. if you drive it the majority of the time on the street. But the good thing is pads are an easy trial and error, but just relaying what they told me, as well as my track tech.
The following users liked this post:
MACCTURBO (08-04-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 02:38 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

I have Girodisc rotors in my 991.1 Turbo (red calipers). They are a bit lighter than OEM, and the slotted design is less prone to cracking at the holes. I went with Porterfield R4S pads, as I only occasionally do track days. They have good cold bite, resist fade pretty well, and only produce a moderate amount of dust. The calipers are held to the aluminum hub/arm with steel bolts. If you anticipate frequent pad changes (track pads to street and vice versa), I suggest converting to Tarrett (or other) studs in place of the caliper bolts so you won’t so easily strip the aluminum threads.
The following 2 users liked this post by Need4S:
MACCTURBO (08-04-2024), RSBro (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 03:05 PM
RSBro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Need4S
I have Girodisc rotors in my 991.1 Turbo (red calipers). They are a bit lighter than OEM, and the slotted design is less prone to cracking at the holes. I went with Porterfield R4S pads, as I only occasionally do track days. They have good cold bite, resist fade pretty well, and only produce a moderate amount of dust. The calipers are held to the aluminum hub/arm with steel bolts. If you anticipate frequent pad changes (track pads to street and vice versa), I suggest converting to Tarrett (or other) studs in place of the caliper bolts so you won’t so easily strip the aluminum threads.
I'm definitely replacing my caliper bolts at the next change as well. I didn't even think about doing it until I'd done my whole 4-corner swap!
Old 07-31-2024 | 11:02 PM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Highly recommend GiroDisc 380/380 rotors and Ferodo DS.3.12 pads for this car if you have the factory reds and are planning to hit the track. They are phenomenal. I’ll have a lightly used set for sale soon as I’m planning to upgrade to Surface Transforms CCBs
Old 08-01-2024 | 10:46 PM
MACCTURBO
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your help with this, I ended up buying EBC 380 mm 2-Piece SG Grooved Rotors (similar design to giro). Still on the fence about pads but think am going to try porter fields. Will leave feedback on the combo once I have a chance to install them. No track use but just bought my 991.1 turbo and the brakes are all due to be changed.
Old 08-01-2024 | 10:48 PM
MACCTURBO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSBro
I just upgraded/changed both on my .2 TT.

Get the Girodisc 380mm Fronts and Rears, you'll be set.

For pads, yes the GT4/GT3 pads WILL fit, but remember they're made to slow down a much lighter car, at technically slower speeds, depending on if you're coming off a corner or straight line, the Turbo will potentially be carrying a lot more speed, and especially weight, so naturally will wear a lot quicker.

I'd go with the Giro rotors first and either replace with OEM or Textar pads and see how you like it. Is this just for everyday use or track? Mine's both. After talking with Giro, they swayed me away from any 'race' pad as they make more noise, dust, etc. if you drive it the majority of the time on the street. But the good thing is pads are an easy trial and error, but just relaying what they told me, as well as my track tech.
Thank you for your help with this, I ended up buying EBC 380 mm 2-Piece SG Grooved Rotors (similar design to giro). Still on the fence about pads but think am going to try porter fields. Will leave feedback on the combo once I have a chance to install them. No track use but just bought my 991.1 turbo and the brakes are all due to be changed.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 10:52 PM
MACCTURBO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
I was already looking at these pads and would like something close or better than oem with less dust. Sound like these do produce less dust than oem and you are happy with them. Going to give them a try. Thank you