Sponsored by: Road Spy

Re-installing axle hub/spline into front diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 09:12 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Re-installing axle hub/spline into front diff

Hey guys! Doing a front axle replacement on a 991.2 TTS, the splined hub that goes into the front diff popped out. I have it separated from the rest of the axle right now -- It still has the C-Clip on it and generally on other vehicles it either slides in nice and easy or you have to play with it a bit. Well I've done both and it still feels like some resistance. I tried to lightly tap on it with an extension/rubber mallet, but it didn't immediately go in. I'm sure it's just me being paranoid and the clip needs to compress on itself to go all the way in, but does this sound about right?

I just wanted to make sure before I give it some good knocks with something heavier. And yes it feels like the splines are lined up. I spun it slowly while I inserted it until I felt the splines engage.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-12-2024, 10:49 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Hey guys! Doing a front axle replacement on a 991.2 TTS, the splined hub that goes into the front diff popped out. I have it separated from the rest of the axle right now -- It still has the C-Clip on it and generally on other vehicles it either slides in nice and easy or you have to play with it a bit. Well I've done both and it still feels like some resistance. I tried to lightly tap on it with an extension/rubber mallet, but it didn't immediately go in. I'm sure it's just me being paranoid and the clip needs to compress on itself to go all the way in, but does this sound about right?

I just wanted to make sure before I give it some good knocks with something heavier. And yes it feels like the splines are lined up. I spun it slowly while I inserted it until I felt the splines engage.

Thanks for any help!
It should slide right in. Did you lube the splines?
Old 07-12-2024, 10:58 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
It should slide right in. Did you lube the splines?
It feels like it's going in, but I didn't want to mangle anything up. Just some light taps at this point. The c clip on the end is fairly tight, it doesn't slide around freely like I'm used to on other cars -- sound about right?

The only lube was a light amount of gear oil... Should I have used something else?
Old 07-13-2024, 12:48 AM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Found this info for a 997 --- so I'm assuming I was on the right track!! Hopefully it works out, I'll be back in the garage in a few hours and will report back for future reference

Early morning update: long 2x4 and a hammer and she's in. Pulled on it and I can feel the clip has it locked in place. So for any future people and reference on DIY axles, place the circlip with the open end of the clip up at 12 o'clock (so it looks like a U), insert the shaft and try to rotate it by hand until you feel the splines engage, then feel free to give it a couple of whacks until it goes in. I was under the car looking at the shaft as I hit it to make sure it was going in. Once it bottomed, I hit it a few more times to make sure it was fully seated, then tried to remove it (pull it out by hand) to ensure it was locked in place! No need to be scared about breaking anything in this situation! 🖖🏽

Last edited by Muuhaha; 07-13-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:07 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Good job! Is it critical that the c-clip is at the the 12 o’clock position for alignment purposes?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:11 PM
Muuhaha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Good job! Is it critical that the c-clip is at the the 12 o’clock position for alignment purposes?
I think you can get lucky with it not being at 12, but with gravity/friction everything more easily falls into place and compresses more readily with the hole up. Without it up, it gives the clip a few more opportunities to bind when it starts to go in and get compressed.

Quick Reply: Re-installing axle hub/spline into front diff