Sponsored by: Road Spy

Lowering can of worms

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 09:50 AM
JimM5
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Ironically I'm without the car due to a factory strut on backorder and now people are saying to replace them outright lol 😆
If you're replacing the struts just go to Bilstein damptronic it is an amazing kit.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:31 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JimM5
This lowering springs aren't matched to the OEM dampers and it just doesn't drive right. I have Bilstien Damptronic they transform the car.
The B16 is a kit that includes everything you need. Lowering springs do not match the factory struts.

Last edited by CodyzWorld; 06-21-2024 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:06 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 575 Posts

I dont know, I really hate dumping big $$ mods in these cars that Im probably not going to remove. Im not really in the position to R&R 4 strut assemblies my self. I dont race and usually dont keep the cars more than 3 years. Things like exhaust or tunes, DSC are 1 thing, big wrenching things are usually a no for me.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:07 AM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Lowering a car is definitely opening a can of worms. You not only lose shock travel and ground clearance, but you throw off things like roll center, which may actually make the car more prone to roll in turns than at a higher ride height. To adjust all the bad stuff out, you'd need new control arms/linkages and bushings, and someone good to adjust them. It gets complicated quick. I lowered my former E92 M3 on motorsport coilovers. It looked great, but took a long time to dial out all the negative consequences until I could get the car to handle properly on track. For those reasons, I'm leaving the ride height alone on the 991 Turbo and am embracing the urban safari look. I am toying with the idea of the Tractive DDA coilovers, but if I go that route, I'll keep them at OE ride height, save any minor tweaks to corner balance the car. Maybe I'm getting old, but I actually don't mind the look of the car at factory height.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (06-21-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 08:36 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Another car with TechArt springs and DSC (installed back in 2020). Zero regerts…not even one

Old 07-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have eibach with my stock shocks... Because of my 21's all around... it gets rough every so often... I do love the look, but in sport mode, I feel the road more than I want to... sport plus is like a go cart. I thought about coilovers, but really wanted to keep the stock system as much as possible, by just going with little lower stance.
Old 09-09-2024, 05:33 PM
BigCarrot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my springs from H&R to Eibach in order to put a few worms back into the can, and I'm really happy with the new setup. I have 21" wheels, and I didn't have enough clearance to properly adjust the camber, so the insides of my tires were getting smoked. It raised the car up just enough, so the stance is still great, and the ride is noticeably smoother. I ordered a DSC a couple of weeks ago, but they're on back order, so I'm stuck waiting. I should be used to the Eibachs by the time it comes in, so I'm excited to see how the box changes the handling.
The following users liked this post:
NightBlueTTS (09-09-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 01:30 PM
Stark7x
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
I just changed my springs from H&R to Eibach in order to put a few worms back into the can, and I'm really happy with the new setup. I have 21" wheels, and I didn't have enough clearance to properly adjust the camber, so the insides of my tires were getting smoked. It raised the car up just enough, so the stance is still great, and the ride is noticeably smoother. I ordered a DSC a couple of weeks ago, but they're on back order, so I'm stuck waiting. I should be used to the Eibachs by the time it comes in, so I'm excited to see how the box changes the handling.
They'll settle in a few weeks and it'll feel like H&R's all over again I think 21's all around on our cars are just a bad way to go about this. But that's just been my experience.

Quick Reply: Lowering can of worms