Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Plug and coil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 11:11 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

while we're on the topic of plan to change plugs more often if over stock power......

Is there any consensus about running a different plug and/or gap than stock? I run my car at +4 psi tune with Kline cats/exhaust, and am thinking about doing plugs/coils for the first time at 30k miles.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:15 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

Calling Mr Sam....
The following users liked this post:
RadarP3C (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 11:53 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 594 Posts

Hey guys. Assuming we are talking about spark plugs and not tequila ha ha! That’s a different conversation.

so generally speaking, you can go up to stage three with stock plugs/gap and generally be fine. And there will be different type of protocol for a different power levels and different plugs used. Well into 1000 hp we like to use the factory plugs and gap them to about.024. It’s always worth changing while you’re there in my opinion as well. Stock cars can go well over 30,000 miles but efficiency does deteriorate which means performance will also. On modified cars I found 15 or 20,000 to be the maximum for , the most efficiency. Some guys just change them every 10,000.

Hope that helps!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following users liked this post:
RadarP3C (08-22-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 08:24 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 420 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey guys. Assuming we are talking about spark plugs and not tequila ha ha! That’s a different conversation.

so generally speaking, you can go up to stage three with stock plugs/gap and generally be fine. And there will be different type of protocol for a different power levels and different plugs used. Well into 1000 hp we like to use the factory plugs and gap them to about.024. It’s always worth changing while you’re there in my opinion as well. Stock cars can go well over 30,000 miles but efficiency does deteriorate which means performance will also. On modified cars I found 15 or 20,000 to be the maximum for , the most efficiency. Some guys just change them every 10,000.

Hope that helps!
Thanks Sam. That's the info that I passed along........
Old 08-23-2024, 09:31 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

Sam Im thinking its not the same intervals for plugs and coils?
Old 08-23-2024, 01:06 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cody’s had it right and enjoyed the benefit.
coil’s generally should last a lot longer, but these cars seem to eat them. They just don’t do well with the heat and we found that even if they are fine, taking them out and putting them in highly increases the chance that something could fracture or fatigue and it’s just not worth the drama. They are pretty inexpensive so we always change them unless the car is just stuck or has only a tune. Of course you could do spark plugs only and see if you get lucky. I’m not saying it happens every time, but enough to where most will just change them.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:54 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 420 Likes on 270 Posts

coil’s generally should last a lot longer, but these cars seem to eat them. They just don’t do well with the heat and we found that even if they are fine, taking them out and putting them in highly increases the chance that something could fracture or fatigue and it’s just not worth the drama. They are pretty inexpensive so we always change them unless the car is just stuck or has only a tune. Of course you could do spark plugs only and see if you get lucky. I’m not saying it happens every time, but enough to where most will just change them.
I'll lower my level from King George to Blue Label. Who's gonna buy me a bottle?
Again, that's what I said from the start. I get my info from Sam. My tune is amazing and Sams advice has never failed. I dont care whoever shows up to speak otherwise, I'll follow the person I respect. I dont make things up just for fun, and I felt the difference.
I hope no one sells their cars.
I'm merely posting things to help people, not to hurt them. You guys do YOU, I'll do ME.

Last edited by CodyzWorld; 08-23-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:24 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 155 Posts

Damn...guess I'm running on borrowed time. At least the Tequila will lessen the blow. 😃
Old 08-23-2024, 06:57 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Haha!
Sometimes it's no issue as there are several factors and sometimes you won't feel it till you do it.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:29 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 155 Posts

Haha!
Sometimes it's no issue as there are several factors and sometimes you won't feel it till you do it.
You know how conservative i was when we did our Stage 3 upgrades. I have seen many brittle coils in my day. If there was any doubt I would have replaced them. But your point is well taken. If I had someone else yanking them out or was really hard on the car, I would have pulled them.

Last edited by Ttz06vette; 08-23-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:45 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 865 Posts

Experience rulz…….

Quick Reply: Plug and coil change