Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 TT Racing Brake (RB) CCB upgrade: Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:07 AM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Hi guys, hoping I can shed some light on this one having dealt with this in the past with our Surface Transforms ceramic discs. I didn't read the whole thread but from what I gathered there are still questions on how to make this work. So... 991 Turbo models with iron calipers use an older caliper design with 142mm bolt spacing. The only way to make these kits work going to PCCB-sized rotors (410F and 390R or 400R) is to switch to the factory PCCB calipers and the factory cast bracket up front. This bracket takes you from the 142mm spacing to the 225mm spacing that the PCCB calipers use. It also acts as a spacer, taking you from the stock 380mm iron disc to the 410mm PCCB disc. I believe Porsche even supplied the PCCB cars with this cast bracket. This is unique to the 991 Turbo models, as all 991 GT2/3/RS and GT4/RS models the calipers are in fact basically the same (iron vs PCCB). I believe this in part due to the AWD system and the knuckles used in the front on the Turbos.

Please note you will also need to convert to the factory 991 Turbo PCCB brake lines. I am happy to help further if needed, let me know.
Thanks so much for the input. Please forgive the questions:

re the fronts: Do you know if 99135142786 and 99135142886 (the type shown in my earlier post; link https://blog.racetechnologies.com/wp...fd07351d_k.jpg) will work with the proper adapter bracket to mount it to the uprights and spacers to clear the 410s?

re the rears: Do I need to change the calipers for the rears for a change from 380 to 390 or will a simple spacer under the OE calipers (99135242713 and ...42813) suffice? I see the GT3 uses 99135242785 and ...42885 rears; do you know what the difference is between the '13' and '85' suffixes in the part numbers? Both the OE rotors (rear) and RB CC rotors measure 32mm in width.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:09 AM
jenman
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the CCB upgrade about 18mos ago on my 991.1 turbo. it was a painful process with SurfaceTransform and Cantrell Motorsports (outside of seattle). in the end, i did need the OEM yellow calipers and brake lines and brake lines and a few more parts. I knew it was going to be a $$$ upgrade, i just wish ST and Cantrell could have communicated better (and with any sort of urgency).

The following users liked this post:
Thicc911Turbo (05-26-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:23 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 328 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Thicc911Turbo
Thanks so much for the input. Please forgive the questions:

re the fronts: Do you know if 99135142786 and 99135142886 (the type shown in my earlier post; link https://blog.racetechnologies.com/wp...fd07351d_k.jpg) will work with the proper adapter bracket to mount it to the uprights and spacers to clear the 410s?

re the rears: Do I need to change the calipers for the rears for a change from 380 to 390 or will a simple spacer under the OE calipers (99135242713 and ...42813) suffice? I see the GT3 uses 99135242785 and ...42885 rears; do you know what the difference is between the '13' and '85' suffixes in the part numbers? Both the OE rotors (rear) and RB CC rotors measure 32mm in width.
This is what my customer used:

991 Turbo Iron Upgrade Kit Parts

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 05-28-2024, 04:50 PM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

Thanks Rick.

I'd gotten together a shopping list of parts to convert to the GTS-style reds on the front plus new dust shields on the back (in case the ones on the car now don't work with the CCB rotors, as was the case with the fronts):

I included nickle-and-dime stuff (relatively speaking) like the hard- and flex-lines, the line brackets because I figured my OE stuff would be "wrong" -- bent and or stretched -- with the calipers moved another 15mm out. Not sure if the calipers come loaded with the anti-rattle springs so I included a set of them too.

I actually sort of agonized (and still am if I'm honest) about just getting the proper PCCB yellows -- which I think look amazing on these cars -- on each corner instead of spacing out the reds and it would only case $2K more for the two rears.

Question: What 5mm spacers are you referring to in the last line of your table? Is that a functional thing to make the wheel spokes clear the calipers or purely aesthetic to make the wheels flush or something else?
Old 05-28-2024, 05:40 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Rick.

I'd gotten together a shopping list of parts to convert to the GTS-style reds on the front plus new dust shields on the back (in case the ones on the car now don't work with the CCB rotors, as was the case with the fronts):

I included nickle-and-dime stuff (relatively speaking) like the hard- and flex-lines, the line brackets because I figured my OE stuff would be "wrong" -- bent and or stretched -- with the calipers moved another 15mm out. Not sure if the calipers come loaded with the anti-rattle springs so I included a set of them too.

I actually sort of agonized (and still am if I'm honest) about just getting the proper PCCB yellows -- which I think look amazing on these cars -- on each corner instead of spacing out the reds and it would only case $2K more for the two rears.

Question: What 5mm spacers are you referring to in the last line of your table? Is that a functional thing to make the wheel spokes clear the calipers or purely aesthetic to make the wheels flush or something else?
Spacers are only needed if using Surface Transforms rotors which are 400mm rear (vs 390mm for OE PCCB). If going with PCCB you can run the PCCB bolts and won't need the rear spacers.
Thicc911Turbo (05-28-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 12:03 AM
VaderCab
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Spacers are only needed if using Surface Transforms rotors which are 400mm rear (vs 390mm for OE PCCB). If going with PCCB you can run the PCCB bolts and won't need the rear spacers.
Not the guy who asked, but just confirming the 5mm spacers are caliper spacers, not wheel spacers, correct? (I assume the former, just confirming because I think he thinks the latter.)

BTW, Rick, I’m still planning to pick up a set of STs from you.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:04 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by VaderCab
Not the guy who asked, but just confirming the 5mm spacers are caliper spacers, not wheel spacers, correct? (I assume the former, just confirming because I think he thinks the latter.)

BTW, Rick, I’m still planning to pick up a set of STs from you.
Yes, the spacers go in between the caliper and wheel carrier, where the bolts drop through. It pushes the caliper out radially, to fit over the larger disc (i.e. 390mm to 400mm)
Old 06-07-2024, 05:56 PM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

Quick update: I ended up ordering a full set of PCCB yellow calipers and hardware (dust shields, brackets, hard- and flex-lines, bolts etc). It'll all be coming from Germany and I was told it'd be 2-3 weeks when I ordered it ~ one week ago.

Here in Canada we have a border agency strike looming so there's a chance the stuff will get stuck in customs...
vrybad (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 05:57 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,190 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Oh, that's unfortunate.

They really should be an essential service.
Old 06-07-2024, 11:11 PM
jenman
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good move 👍

Quick update: I ended up ordering a full set of PCCB yellow calipers and hardware (dust shields, brackets, hard- and flex-lines, bolts etc). It'll all be coming from Germany and I was told it'd be 2-3 weeks when I ordered it ~ one week ago.

Here in Canada we have a border agency strike looming so there's a chance the stuff will get stuck in customs...
Old 06-08-2024, 06:44 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jenman
Good move 👍
I agree.
That's a great choice.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:23 PM
Thicc911Turbo
Instructor

Here's an update after all is "said and done."

The brakes are on and feeling -- and looking -- fantastic. They're not fully bedded in yet (I expect that to take a while the way I drive...) but they already feel great.

A few notes in summary:
1) If your current "red" brake calipers look like the one on the top of this image -- as mine were -- you won't be able to fit the 410mm CCB rotors; the calipers are just not big enough to fit.

If you have the reds on the bottom of the image you're good to go and will just need the spacers supplied in the RB kit.

2) The red rear calipers of this type:

will work, again using the supplied RB spacer hardware.

Another option -- the one I chose -- is to instead to go with new Porsche PCCB calipers front and rear. I looked for used but anything I saw were blemished or of questionable general condition.

3) The rotors are a very tight fit to even the PCCB caliper bodies:
Front:

Rear:

This is probably completely normal, the result of having a 410mm or 390mm rotor. I have no OE PCCB against which to compare but I suspect they're the same. Just noting it for completeness here.

4) Noise
None. Zero. Zilch. So far I haven't heard a peep from these brakes. My 380/380 iron brakes actually generated some unseemly squealing just before coming to a stop. So far these ones have been silent. As a reminder, I'm running RB's "street" compound pads.

5) Dust
Virtually zero. Of course it's not actually zero but it's pretty darn close. I took hundreds of kilometers and bedding in abuse and city driving to generate dust comparable to a walking-speed turn around the block on the iron brakes. These are so clean in comparison.

6) Fitment
The front dust shields will still not work directly with the 410mm RB rotor. You'll need to make some cuts and flatten or remove the lip to avoid interference between the plate and the rotor:

If you go the OE PCCB caliper route I suggest new Porsche fasteners as well. The supplied bolts in the RB kit were too short for the yellow calipers but I suspect they would have worked if I had the compatible reds.

Overall, a good experience and I'm super chuffed to have done this mod. Along with the Apex wheels it really transforms the look of the car and the street performance so far has been quiet and strong.

I do recommend this kit.

Old 07-08-2024, 03:07 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Thanks for the update Thicc.. I am glad to see they are working out for you.

This puts it back on the radar for me. But I would probably do the smaller RB kit so I dont have to change out my red calipers.. I would do this change for 1) reduced weight at the wheels 2) brake dust and maybe 3) better performance - although the irons are definitely good enough for me..
Thicc911Turbo (07-08-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 10:48 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Appreciate the update!
Old 07-14-2024, 11:59 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 338 Posts

Here's an update after all is "said and done."

The brakes are on and feeling -- and looking -- fantastic. They're not fully bedded in yet (I expect that to take a while the way I drive...) but they already feel great.

A few notes in summary:
1) If your current "red" brake calipers look like the one on the top of this image -- as mine were -- you won't be able to fit the 410mm CCB rotors; the calipers are just not big enough to fit.
If you have the reds on the bottom of the image you're good to go and will just need the spacers supplied in the RB kit.
2) The red rear calipers of this type:
will work, again using the supplied RB spacer hardware.
Another option -- the one I chose -- is to instead to go with new Porsche PCCB calipers front and rear. I looked for used but anything I saw were blemished or of questionable general condition.
3) The rotors are a very tight fit to even the PCCB caliper bodies:
Front:
Rear:
This is probably completely normal, the result of having a 410mm or 390mm rotor. I have no OE PCCB against which to compare but I suspect they're the same. Just noting it for completeness here.
4) Noise
None. Zero. Zilch. So far I haven't heard a peep from these brakes. My 380/380 iron brakes actually generated some unseemly squealing just before coming to a stop. So far these ones have been silent. As a reminder, I'm running RB's "street" compound pads.
5) Dust
Virtually zero. Of course it's not actually zero but it's pretty darn close. I took hundreds of kilometers and bedding in abuse and city driving to generate dust comparable to a walking-speed turn around the block on the iron brakes. These are so clean in comparison.
6) Fitment
The front dust shields will still not work directly with the 410mm RB rotor. You'll need to make some cuts and flatten or remove the lip to avoid interference between the plate and the rotor:
If you go the OE PCCB caliper route I suggest new Porsche fasteners as well. The supplied bolts in the RB kit were too short for the yellow calipers but I suspect they would have worked if I had the compatible reds.

Overall, a good experience and I'm super chuffed to have done this mod. Along with the Apex wheels it really transforms the look of the car and the street performance so far has been quiet and strong.

I do recommend this kit.
Any thoughts about switching to the Turbo S dust shields rather than trim the factory ones?
It likely didn't cross your mind at the time, from what I could find online, they aren't looking too pricey, but it's probably another part that pops up as "ok, if I had known, I should have done that while I was in there" type of thing.
Been there and done that myself!
Just thinking for those going your route, it may make some sense.

Quick Reply: 991.2 TT Racing Brake (RB) CCB upgrade: Review