Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

New to me 991.2 Miami Blue Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 07:55 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful car. Can't believe your first Porsche is a Turbo S. Fantastic. I agree with everyone on finding our what type
of Tune you have so you are better aware of the overall performance of your car going forward. Also, did you have a PPI done before purchase.
If so that would give you the best piece of mind.

Jay
Old 03-09-2024, 08:37 AM
E Allen
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, do you have a picture of the device in the frunk?
Old 03-11-2024, 01:03 AM
flipwils11
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes I got a PPI and now that the Porsche dealer has had eyes on it all is good but they gave me some maintenance items to attend to soon, more $$$!

Here are pics of the device. The dealer said it has a tune but they couldn't tell which one. They guessed a Cobb or something, stage 1.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:13 AM
Farsider
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Great buy! You’re going to love it. My first pcar was also a turbo s and its been quickly racking up the miles.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.dimsport.it/en/race/my-genius/
Old 05-02-2024, 06:04 PM
flipwils11
Track Day

I wanted to share an update on getting the car sorted to my standards, some commentary on switching costs (which I always try to estimate but still fall short when I get a new car!), and some pros/cons possibly of CPO versus as-is.

Looking at autotempest listings, it seems that I did pretty well buying a 991.2 Turbo S as-is for $158k versus most with the miles mine had to start (9.5k) are $170k and in the $180k+ range for 2019 cars. However since mine is originally a Canadian car, I'm sure there's a discount/perception there versus a US car. I for one kind of like having the analog gauge still read in KM and the digital readout is in mph. Makes it unique.

Speaking of unique, the original sticker for my car was just shy of $239k factoring in some cool options like the black painted door handles and mirror mounts, the exterior color obviously, and some other common turbo s things like heated/ventilated seats and heated steering wheel. But maybe that is in Canadian dollars or something because it isn't extremely loaded with bespoke interior options or anything? The car I was considering locally (2018, black turbo S, 11k miles, CPO) asking price is $168k and original sticker on it was $200k. I think the only unique option it has is the rear window wiper and sport classic wheels.

Since I bought the car, I've spent some decent coin on it and thinking back to what I could have bought the black car for locally, I realized I didn't really get a discount of about $10k between the two cars. I guess lesson learned is really on the maintenance costs and assumptions and I thought the car would surely have at least front end PPF on it. The CPO car had partial PPF and new Pirellis on it.

Even though I did a PPI with the lemon squad, my car didn't have any records in Porsche NA's system and the dealer told me they just did an oil change but didn't send me documentation for that or what previous owners did (I can see some basic maintenance services on carfax). So what I did at my local dealer's suggestion given the age and uncertainty was:
1) oil change, spark plugs, filters, serpentine belt, brake fluid flush, tire mount and alignment. I also added in clear side markers for the front. $4800
2) new tires (Bridgestone Potenza Sports) $1900
3) I decided to do tint and full PPF on the car. There were already a few stone chips and the car had zero PPF on it surprisingly. Also replacing the rear emblems after PPF was $550 from Suncoast. $7850

And the shipping via enclosed transport from CA to MN: $2800

So yes, I went over by more than $7k over the local CPO car, but I got a better spec, a few less miles, I got to pick my tires and have my trusted shop do the PPF, and prescribe the service and maintenance items I wanted to get done and by whom. The other thing that is not factored into those prices are multiple trips in ubers from dropping the car off or getting a family member to drive me back, scheduling and inconvenience to get all this sorted, phone calls, back and forth on a few things, and not fun discoveries like the front bumper was repainted at some point. And I still don't have a definitive answer on the tune but the Fabspeed exhaust I think was a bonus for my car given the cost of that setup with the headers. Also found out it has an IPD intake on it.

I'm still overall happy but in my head originally I had a round figure of about $5k sorting the car including the tires. One factor was I wasn't going to do full PPF at first so that was a big scope change I made. And I obviously thought it would need less catch-up on the maintenance.

Added a picture of my new license plate since I know this thing isn't putting down 580hp. And I guess my advice and takeaway for someone buying their first 911 who is coming from BMW prices and shop costs, estimate high to get it sorted! Especially if you're pretty particular on records and knowing the car's status and upkeep like me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by flipwils11; 05-02-2024 at 06:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flipwils11:
Big Swole (05-02-2024), Coppi52 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:26 PM
Coppi52
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad to hear it's all working out!

I can imagine it was a lot of research, diggin', and back-and-forth efforts to figure out all details of the car. But man, it's beautiful...enjoy it!

Btw, when you got the full PPF, did the installer do a full paint correction before applying the PPF? Just wondering because I'm debating full/half PPF right now...

Old 05-02-2024, 06:44 PM
flipwils11
Track Day

I'm not sure but they certainly cleaned the paint up as well as they could and spent a lot of time on it overall. I bought touch up paint and they applied that to a few chips and lightly buffed/sanded it to be level before the PPF. And also before the PPF their paintless dent removal guy went over it and found a few dings I hadn't noticed so that was another $500 that I forgot to list in the total above.

Overall I'm done hemorrhaging money for a while on this purchase and I'm just driving it every chance I get! Already have 11.5k miles on it and counting.

Thinking back to the last few cars I've sold with 3 ring binders of receipts in clear folder sleeves, organized chronologically and with pictures, and saving everything I think I need to charge more because so few sellers are as organized and transparent as me.
The following 3 users liked this post by flipwils11:
Auscan (05-03-2024), Big Swole (05-02-2024), Coppi52 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:46 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 762 Posts

Great to have a dealer look over the car but definitely find yourself a Porsche specific INDY to work on all from regular maintenance to any issues you might have.

I'm on my 5th TT Porsche and have had my TTS for over 8 years. These cars are rick solid but as you know Sh$& Happens and the dealers depending where you are can be at $250-$300 an hour for labor. It’s not because they are the only ones capable of working on the cars it’s just the Porsche Tax for maintenance.

Very pretty car, congratulations and good luck.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:26 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Beautiful car. Love this color on this specific model. I'm not brave enough to drive a car like this, but it's awesome when it's on the road, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: New to me 991.2 Miami Blue Turbo S