Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 turbo s

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024 | 04:36 PM
K996
Racer

Originally Posted by 14turbo S
Wonderful experience with my 14 Turbo S until now. Ready to give it away. High pressure fuel pump failed. $7500 to replace & that is not the bad news. Porsche has no part available anywhere & can't give a replacement date. Dealer said to expect to be without my car for 3 to 6 months while they redesign the pump. If anyone has any updated info on this, please chime in, Recall? Big dealer on the East coast indicated they had over 100 on backorder.
What the heck! You weren't kidding, that is seriously bad news and yeah I'd be pretty hot about that situation too.
Three to six months.. "..while they redesign the pump..." (!) if they're truly redesigning it (design, prototyping, v&v, ppap...) then even that timeline seems rather optimistic to me.

As an interested observer, what were the symptoms of failure or pre-failure?
Old 01-01-2024 | 04:49 PM
14turbo S
Rennlist Member

K996, thru a bunch of codes, P1023, P1026, P1036, PO53E. Much longer crank times to start, 6 or 7 times before it starts. Can be driven in limp mode if you don't want to exceed 30MPH.
Old 01-01-2024 | 05:19 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

The frustrating part for me is dealers and Porsche of America will not indicate when they will produce the part or redesign it.
They are just as frustrated as are you. It’s all in the hands of PAG. PCNA is just an “importer.” They are the tail, PAG is the dog.

But, AFAIK and IIRC, in the U.S. it is legally required for a car company to provide spare, replacement, and repair parts for 10 years after a model is discontinued. So, for a 991.1 until 2027.

INAL, but surely someone on this forum is.

Old 01-02-2024 | 11:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I have a 16 non S and have owned it for over 5 years. If you see my signature - it has a series of mods that have made the car much faster, ride better, sound better and handle even better than stock. And yet it has been super reliable and you can daily it. It can go from a canyon carver to date night and handle the rough roads and bumps around here. Evey time I think of changing it up - I don't. I just add something to the list. Only other issue I have heard of except for HPFP (which seems very rare) is the system that raises the front and rear spoilers. Get a CPO or warranty. But the car has been super solid for me.

Oh if i were in the market - I'd consider a .2 if you could stretch a little. While I love my .1 - I do miss car play and the .2 has an improved fueling system for better modding - if you are so inclined. But I don't need any more power at this stage. I don't think you'll regret getting one..
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024 | 01:31 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matty's World
I’m on my 6th 991 turbo all ranged from 2014-2017 and the more you drive them the less problems they have , only thing is be cautious with the front lip bubble and pretty much that’s it ..
Agree, I would specifically ask whether there has been an intermittent "spoiler alert" issue. I had the problem the past two years; started out intermittently, then continuously. Turned out the problem was with the front bladder - had to replace the entire assembly at a part cost of $7K. Seems this issue is not uncommon with the 991 Turbo's, both generations, based on threads here on RL. Other than that I absolutely love the car and prefer it to the current, and most likely subsequent, generations.
Old 01-02-2024 | 03:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smuoio
Agree, I would specifically ask whether there has been an intermittent "spoiler alert" issue. I had the problem the past two years; started out intermittently, then continuously. Turned out the problem was with the front bladder - had to replace the entire assembly at a part cost of $7K. Seems this issue is not uncommon with the 991 Turbo's, both generations, based on threads here on RL. Other than that I absolutely love the car and prefer it to the current, and most likely subsequent, generations.

I had this issue and my Porsche dealer stated it was a "sensor" in the front bladder / spoiler system that couldn't be replaced. $5400.00 replacement later, it all works great now.

Thank Goodness I had a Fidelity Platinum and they covered it all except my $250.00 deductible.

BTW, is the HPFP issue limited to the .1's or is this an issue that the point .2's can experience? Mine's been rock solid.
Old 01-02-2024 | 03:16 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I have contacted several dealers including Pelican. They all have the ability to do a nationwide search, but they have all come up empty, (even though they list availability on their web site). The frustrating part for me is dealers and Porsche of America will not indicate when they will produce the part or redesign it. All they have done is offer their apologies. I'm stuck with towing expenses & of course it broke down 70 miles from home. The nearest dealer will not hold on to it, so another towing expense.
Unfortunately, parts warehouses handling merchandise for all makes have ordering websites with boiler-plate language saying "in stock" or "usually shipping in X days." As often as not, these parts are not in stock or quickly available, and websites are not updated to reflect that. It's not just a Porsche parts problem.
Old 01-02-2024 | 03:22 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
They are just as frustrated as are you. It’s all in the hands of PAG. PCNA is just an “importer.” They are the tail, PAG is the dog.

But, AFAIK and IIRC, in the U.S. it is legally required for a car company to provide spare, replacement, and repair parts for 10 years after a model is discontinued. So, for a 991.1 until 2027.

INAL, but surely someone on this forum is.
Unfortunately, that is a requirement without teeth and very difficult to enforce. It would likely require a lawsuit costing exponentially more than parts and labor, and a much longer wait (e.g. years) with a very uncertain outcome.
Old 01-02-2024 | 03:24 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I had this issue and my Porsche dealer stated it was a "sensor" in the front bladder / spoiler system that couldn't be replaced. $5400.00 replacement later, it all works great now.

Thank Goodness I had a Fidelity Platinum and they covered it all except my $250.00 deductible.

BTW, is the HPFP issue limited to the .1's or is this an issue that the point .2's can experience? Mine's been rock solid.
My '14 TTS with 45K miles today has bladder/spoiler replacement in its maintenance history listed at 34K miles 3 years ago.
Big Swole (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024 | 10:01 PM
2015TurboS
Track Day

Cool

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
considering picking up a 2016 tts anything specific issues with this model to be aware of? thanks
Absolutely love the car but have had a fair share of costly issues, quibbles and one major gripe . 2015 Turbo S with 34,500 miles

Issues:
$8,500 for a new gauge cluster (backordered from Germany because of white gauge faces) - LCD screen crapped out
$16,000 for a new front axle - front AWD differential module is a plunger system that became faulty and would disengage AWD and move the car into comfort mode only

Quibbles:
Car was delivered with bluetooth audio - subsequent PCM updates removed that feature
Steering wheel is a bit too cheesy looking - even the 2015 Macan had a more appealing looking steering wheel
No Apple CarPlay option

Gripes:
The car is super fast, a complete rocketship. I have gotten 5 speeding tickets (despite radar detection and laser jamming) - thankfully, to my wife's anger, I have not been convicted of speeding (thank you speeding ticket attorneys)

Last edited by 2015TurboS; 01-02-2024 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2024 | 08:25 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2015TurboS
Absolutely love the car but have had a fair share of costly issues, quibbles and one major gripe . 2015 Turbo S with 34,500 miles

Issues:
$8,500 for a new gauge cluster (backordered from Germany because of white gauge faces) - LCD screen crapped out
$16,000 for a new front axle - front AWD differential module is a plunger system that became faulty and would disengage AWD and move the car into comfort mode only

Quibbles:
Car was delivered with bluetooth audio - subsequent PCM updates removed that feature
Steering wheel is a bit too cheesy looking - even the 2015 Macan had a more appealing looking steering wheel
No Apple CarPlay option

Gripes:
The car is super fast, a complete rocketship. I have gotten 5 speeding tickets (despite radar detection and laser jamming) - thankfully, to my wife's anger, I have not been convicted of speeding (thank you speeding ticket attorneys)
I may be odd man out here but I liked the simple appearance of the 991.1 Sport steering wheel.
Not saying the .2 upgrade isn't nice, just that I liked the older wheel as it was, it seemed to fit the theme of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by vrybad:
Foosh (01-03-2024), h_bakken (01-05-2024), rodsky (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024 | 08:53 AM
xhrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by vrybad
I may be odd man out here but I liked the simple appearance of the 991.1 Sport steering wheel.
Not saying the .2 upgrade isn't nice, just that I liked the older wheel as it was, it seemed to fit the theme of the car.
i have grown to like it a bit more, but agree could have been a bit better.

now that being said. I have 80k plus miles on my 14. And very modified. Minimal issues.
vrybad (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024 | 10:25 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I was just thinking about my 2015 Turbo S. It's now 9 years old (8 under my ownership) with 51K miles and everything still works and drives as new. My only mods are Kline equal length headers and wheels. I had two different coil on plugs replaced at two different occasions, both under warranty. Regular oil changes and a new battery is all I've had to do. This car is bullet proof in my opinion, and I'll probably own it for many more years.
Foosh (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024 | 10:54 AM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xhrix
i have grown to like it a bit more, but agree could have been a bit better.

now that being said. I have 80k plus miles on my 14. And very modified. Minimal issues.
I also really like the look and simple elegance of the 991.1 Sport wheel (polished aluminum and leather w/ no buttons). I don't care for the proliferation of steering wheel buttons, and I don't find them particularly useful. The 4-way stalk on the steering column behind the wheel navigates and selects everything I might want to see on the display while driving without having to look. On steering wheels with a lot of controls, I find myself having to look for everything.

Moreover, simplicity is often more aesthetically pleasing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
21forever (01-09-2024), h_bakken (01-05-2024), smuoio (01-14-2024)
Old 01-06-2024 | 09:10 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

My deal fell through due to mutual decisions so i guess back to the market preferably something local and a 991.2 +

Quick Reply: 991.1 turbo s