Sponsored by: Road Spy

Convertible Top Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 07:12 PM
FetalEcho
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Convertible Top Protection

I want to protect my 2018 TTS top cover wtih 303 Fabric Guard.

The top looks clean and good as new since I got the car couple of weeks ago but there's no water repellence/beading. There are no stains that I can discern. Do I still have to wash the top with the 303 fabric cleaner first, if it already looks clean or can I just remove lint and apply the protectant without first washing it?

Intuitively, given the top looks spotless, one would think I can just apply the protectant without having to first clean the top with water and fabric cleaner, but reading and watching videos, seems everyone first cleans the top.

Thank you.

Last edited by FetalEcho; 10-15-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 559 Posts

I have used Scotchguard for 28 years - 2 tops for my 993 in that time……
Old 10-15-2023, 07:49 PM
FetalEcho
Track Day

Never mind. I washed it.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:33 AM
DolphinTale
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Curious what others have to say. Too add protectant or not. My car is always garage kept, sees rain only when it is unexpected, and the top still looks brand new. I simply wash it with the car.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:49 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DolphinTale
Curious what others have to say. Too add protectant or not. My car is always garage kept, sees rain only when it is unexpected, and the top still looks brand new. I simply wash it with the car.
I've always just used the Porsche sealant https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...044-001-99-OEM

I give it a good clean with soap the day before. I use plastic paint drop cloths to cover everything on the car but the top. It will stick to everything. Spray inside then back it out in the sun to "bake for a few hours. It's super smelly so make sure to do it on a nice day. Usually have to scrape it off the back window with a razor blade.

If your top absorbs water when you wash it, you probably want to seal it with something. It should bead off the top like the painted surfaces.

Last edited by ottodawg; 10-16-2023 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DolphinTale (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:09 AM
FetalEcho
Track Day

Thank you all. However, the question is can you just apply the sealant/protectant on the top without washing it first, if it's really clean with no stains, bird poop etc?
I ended up washing the top with the 303 Cleaner, then applied the 303 Fabric Guard.
But I feel that washing and scrubbing with a cleaner may be overkill if the top is clean. And again, the only reason I asked this is that everyone on forum/videos says clean the top with a fabric top cleaner first.

Last edited by FetalEcho; 10-16-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:11 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FetalEcho
Thank you all. However, the question is can you just apply the sealant/protectant on the top without washing it first, if it's really clean with no stains, bird poop etc?
I ended up washing the top with the 303 Cleaner, then applied the 303 Fabric Guard.
But I feel that washing and scrubbing with a cleaner may be overkill if the top is clean. And again, the only reason I asked this is that everyone on forum/videos says clean the top with a fabric top cleaner first.
I guess I'd just do what the mfg of the product recommends.. Can't speak of the 303 stuff but with the Porsche sealer anything on the top will be sealed there until it wears off. I wash/scrub the top, let it dry and then go over it with a lint roller to remove any dust, hairs, dirt, etc that remains after washing. It's also a black top so it shows EVERYTHING.

Last edited by ottodawg; 10-16-2023 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FetalEcho (10-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Protection