Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Centre lock wheels torque wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024 | 02:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911RSRRacer
I'm really interested in this solution but concerned that it might not be as accurate as claimed or wear out quickly. Does anyone have long-term experience with it? Also, are there any issues re: stability in keeping the center lock tool positioned properly on the hub when torquing with this adapter in between it and the breaker bar?
I use a 36" 3/4 breaker bar with this digital adapter ($80 now approx. Amazon), no issues, surprised how easy to remove and install wheel, not a super human effort to make it happen.......stability was no issue with Neiko device, sturdy build......used about 7 years multiple times.......I no longer use a torque wrench, but did check the torque on the bolt the first time I used to ensure accuracy of the Neiko device......spot on.....

I also have an alignment tool to help slide the wheel on and off properly and keep that and grease in the car, along with an Irwin clamp, if its the front wheels to keep the brake actuated between pedal and driver's seat and also keep the steering wheel steady (velcro strap to Irwin clamp).......
Old 09-09-2024 | 10:18 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm really interested in this solution but concerned that it might not be as accurate as claimed or wear out quickly. Does anyone have long-term experience with it? Also, are there any issues re: stability in keeping the center lock tool positioned properly on the hub when torquing with this adapter in between it and the breaker bar?
I've been using a Jet 600ft/lb unit since new; two changes a year, no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-15-2024 | 01:11 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

you absolutely do not need the precision instruments torque wrench, any of the 39 inch 3/4 inch 600ft/lb torque wrench's on amazon will do the job just fine, especially if you are hardly ever using it.
Old 09-15-2024 | 10:42 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I don’t know if it makes any difference when selecting a product, but I had a very good experience with the customer service department at Precision Instruments. My torque wrench began to exhibit strange behavior and it simply didn’t feel right. I called them and discussed the issue and they decided to replace my wrench head under warranty. The transaction was smooth and easy and I was happy with the outcome.
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:49 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

As other have said, no stability issues. Everything still fits together nice and tight. The extra length is actually a benefit—keeps the breaker bar further from the fender in case something slips. My only gripe with the Nieko is that it turns itself off after a minute of idle time, too short.

The only other complexity, no fault of the unit, is that if you want to read the torque while using it, you have to fiddle with the placement of everything so you can see it while it rotates. This isn’t mandatory as it still tells you audibly as you approach and hit target torque.

The last benefit is that it helps you calibrate yourself. I found I was going over about 40 ft lb, giving it too much oomph at the end. I’ve since revised my technique and have nailed a couple perfect 443s 🙂.
Old 09-21-2024 | 07:52 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
As other have said, no stability issues. Everything still fits together nice and tight. The extra length is actually a benefit—keeps the breaker bar further from the fender in case something slips. My only gripe with the Nieko is that it turns itself off after a minute of idle time, too short.

The only other complexity, no fault of the unit, is that if you want to read the torque while using it, you have to fiddle with the placement of everything so you can see it while it rotates. This isn’t mandatory as it still tells you audibly as you approach and hit target torque.

The last benefit is that it helps you calibrate yourself. I found I was going over about 40 ft lb, giving it too much oomph at the end. I’ve since revised my technique and have nailed a couple perfect 443s 🙂.

i went with that Neiko adapter that @jayzbird mentioned above and I even bought the Neiko 39 inch extendable breaker bar to use with it and both feel real high quality and work great. Been using for 6 months now and have taken the wheels off many times with no issues.

I stopped positioning it correctly to see the torque value climbing and just listen for the constant beep now, but it was cool to see that in the beginning.

Here is the link to the breaker bar if anyone is interested, I highly recommend it:

https://a.co/d/aqkSjCH

Last edited by mikescayenne; 09-21-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2024 | 10:07 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

It’s a breeze with a 72” torque wrench…

Quick Reply: Centre lock wheels torque wrench.