997turbbo
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Also on b16 with factory control damper rides great and very adjustable
Old 07-10-2023, 02:29 AM
TheMadMachinist
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bilstein B16 coil-overs and DSC if you want to lower your car do it right :-). With Bilstein you can adjust the height you need no cancellation kit combine it with DSC and you get a really nice flexible setup.
This is the way I decided to go and I am waiting on them now.

I want to thank everybody for all your responses. I haven't been a part of this forum long but I can already tell there is a wealth of information in the members and I even saw a couple cool cars.lol

Old 08-15-2023, 07:58 PM
TheMadMachinist
Intermediate

Just thought I would let you guys know how this all worked out. I ended up having 034 Motorsports here in Fremont do the install for me. We used Bilstein B16 adjustable coil overs. This whole deal was more about ride hight than anything else. I will say this is the right way to go about this but it's a very pricey way to just lower your car an Inch. I got the car back and I could hear a little clunk coming from the rear of the car at slow speeds when turning. I had planned a trip over the Sierra's to Nevada on Hwy 88 the next day. I thought this would be the perfect road to get everything settled in and then take it back the 034 for a final adjustment. The clunk was only occasion and you really had to listen for it. But still very annoying never the less and at this price point total unacceptable.

I have only had this car about four month but I do have 5000 miles of seat time in it.. My first impressions was a little unsettling. Well maybe not unsettling, But I just felt less confident in the corners from stock. For those that don't know Hwy 88 is a mix of a few tight corners and a bunch of high speed sweepers. One of my top five roads in Cali. After retuning I was more concerned with the clinking sound than the over all performance. One thing at a time. So back to 034 Motorsports and with the car on a lift and the suspension at rest. Wheels hanging. You could grab the lower end of the spring and move it back and forth. There wasn't much in the way of anything to positively locate the bottom end of the springs. A call was made to Bilstein with not much success. Wile waiting for a return call from them not sure if that even happened. The guys at 034 reached out to a couple of other shops locally that specialize in Porsche vehicle and were told this is a common problem with Bilstein coil overs.

What....... For what I payed for these things. They couldn't even make them so the springs don't walk around on the lower seat.......

Being a retired Machinist my first thought was to make a cone shaped ring that would located on the outer dia. of the coil over tube and with a taper on the OD of it that would center the springs. Delrin came to mind as the material to use. After some discussion with one of the guys down at 034 that had just gotten a 3d Printer setup at his home and he mentioned he had some Carbon/ Kriyptonite medium for it. Just kidding about the Kriyptonite part but whatever he had it was suppose to be really tough stuff. He then printed up a couple of rings and installed them and no more clunk. I have another trip planned back up the same Hwy in a few days so we will see if there is any improvement in handling.

So if you have the Bilstein Clunk. If that is even a thing. Give the guys down at 034 Motorsports a call as I believe that they saved the program and could 3d print you up your own Kriytonite Cones.

I am not affiliated with 034 and just passing any some info with the hopes it mite make someone's else's life a little easier.

The following users liked this post:
onfireTTS (08-15-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:34 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 273 Posts

sorry you had these problems. I havent had any problems with my parts. No noise, clunking, good luck getting it sorted out.

i had mine installed at World Motorsports in Torrance.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:04 PM
dsok
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those Brixton wheels? I'm getting mine soon and looking to get tires. What specs did you get? I want to make sure i get the right tires so I don't rub. I'm lowering mine with KW HAS springs.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:16 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts

i won't do this for a DD
Old 08-27-2024, 07:34 PM
TheMadMachinist
Intermediate

Well the 3D printed parts did the trick. I moved to a colder climate so I installed winter tires on my stock rims. I found these rims on the inter web they were fully polished so I sent the to the plater for chrome plating. Here's what the car looks like now.
The following users liked this post:
CodyzWorld (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 09:15 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 425 Likes on 273 Posts

@TheMadMachinist - did you get it all sorted out?
Old 09-02-2024, 01:09 PM
FletcherHubbard
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist
2017, 991.2 Turbo S here and I am looking to lower the car a little bit for looks more than anything else. This is a daily driver.

Looking at a set of KW H.A.S Coil overs and a cancellation kit made by them as well.

I hate to lose the factory ride control but I feel a little more comfortable buying a set of coil overs that are height adjustable for one and the fact the springs where designed as a package as opposed to just installing a set of springs to lower the car.Thoughts?
I just did Tech Art springs and no regrets. I say go for it. Can always undo it if you don't like it.

Last edited by FletcherHubbard; 09-02-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
Ed99
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ty423
With the KW H.A.S. kit I would imagine you wouldn't need a cancellation kit since the stock struts are reused.

I am on Bilstein B16 and no complaints. The struts plug right in for dampening control which was a big seller for me. I do have FAL so this version does not have front adjustable height perches but the rear does. If you don't have FAL there is another version where the front and rear are height adjustable.
So with FAL which kit can adjust both front and rear suspension height?

Quick Reply: Thoughts On lowering a Turbo S