Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

New battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 12:43 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

One shout out for AG. I bought two of their quick starts for 2 rides. Recharge every 6 months even though they hold the charge.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (05-11-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 05:02 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 662 Posts

I used PIWIS during install for programming - no issues, no regrets.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 762 Posts

You AG guys wore me down, I decided to go with the AG battery. I did have a question for the "in the know members".
* Can I connect my battery charger to the car battery clamps so I keep power to the car until I connect the AG?
* If I plug my maintainer into the cig outlet will this keep power to the car?
* Assuming all goes well with the install does the dealer need to do any coding for the new battery?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Home Run
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
You AG guys wore me down, I decided to go with the AG battery. I did have a question for the "in the know members".
* Can I connect my battery charger to the car battery clamps so I keep power to the car until I connect the AG?
* Assuming all goes well with the install does the dealer need to do any coding for the new battery?

Thanks for any help.
penn4S

I just installed a AG battery removed the old battery installed the new AG battery went out for a test drive no codes or problems. I’m completely happy.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Home Run
penn4S

I just installed a AG battery removed the old battery installed the new AG battery went out for a test drive no codes or problems. I’m completely happy.
Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Home Run (05-08-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 467 Posts

I just replaced the AGM battery with another from Costco. Used one of the little 9V adapter that plugs into one of the cigarette receptacles. No codes or any problems after the install. Apparently 9V is enough to maintain all the memory functions.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:23 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

My 14 still has the factory battery, still fine but I'm sure the time is coming soon. Scott @Antigravity any specials/discounts coming soon?? 😁 Li-ion is the way I'll be going. @Penn4S definitely don't pay the stealer $800 for an AGM battery replacement..
Old 05-10-2023, 06:32 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
My 14 still has the factory battery, still fine but I'm sure the time is coming soon. Scott @Antigravity any specials/discounts coming soon?? 😁 Li-ion is the way I'll be going. @Penn4S definitely don't pay the stealer $800 for an AGM battery replacement..
Hi ottodawg, no definitive date as of yet for the next sales event but if it's something you're looking to move on soon you can email chad@antigravitybatteries.com and we'll certainly see what we can do to help you out.
Best regards,
Chad
Old 05-10-2023, 09:21 PM
maximus5403
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

If you search around google you find some sellers that have site wide discounts of 10-15%. I purchased an antigravity 60AH last week for about $720 Shipped
The following 2 users liked this post by maximus5403:
abiazis (05-12-2023), ottodawg (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:17 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for any help.
HI Penn,

Very Sorry for missing responding to this, didn't see this one because I was scrolling to fast or something... thanks for another member for answering. I'll give some input also...

* Can I connect my battery charger to the car battery clamps so I keep power to the car until I connect the AG? This depends on your type of charger, but I answered that one here... Most chargers can't do this unless you have a charger with a Power supply function. Regular chargers won't charge unless they detect voltage at the clamps. So when you disconnect a battery they won't charge.
* If I plug my maintainer into the cig outlet will this keep power to the car? On most 991s this works OK... but we do suggest as, many members have done, that you do a Battery Charger Pigtail directly to the Battery and then route it to under the leading edge of the hood for easy access. The problem is Porsches system sometimes can shut down the charging or just make it not work as well as going in directly to the battery.
* Assuming all goes well with the install does the dealer need to do any coding for the new battery? Your Dealer will not need to do anything for coding simply just plug and play. If you are taking it to a Dealer then in many circumstances they may say things like ... This battery voids the warranty on your Car, this battery can't work with your Car because it not a Porsche Lithium, or it will damage you Car. We have seen this many many times and it completely untrue in every statement. But regardless it can get Customer scared, but that is the job of the dealer, to sell only Porshe parts. BUt rest assured if you have ANY reservation, or issues, or are not happy for any reason in the first months with the battery we will take it back and refund you in full including paying the shipping back to us.

Old 05-11-2023, 12:38 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
HI Penn,

Very Sorry for missing responding to this, didn't see this one because I was scrolling to fast or something... thanks for another member for answering. I'll give some input also...

* Can I connect my battery charger to the car battery clamps so I keep power to the car until I connect the AG? This depends on your type of charger, but I answered that one here... Most chargers can't do this unless you have a charger with a Power supply function. Regular chargers won't charge unless they detect voltage at the clamps. So when you disconnect a battery they won't charge.
* If I plug my maintainer into the cig outlet will this keep power to the car? On most 991s this works OK... but we do suggest as, many members have done, that you do a Battery Charger Pigtail directly to the Battery and then route it to under the leading edge of the hood for easy access. The problem is Porsches system sometimes can shut down the charging or just make it not work as well as going in directly to the battery.
* Assuming all goes well with the install does the dealer need to do any coding for the new battery? Your Dealer will not need to do anything for coding simply just plug and play. If you are taking it to a Dealer then in many circumstances they may say things like ... This battery voids the warranty on your Car, this battery can't work with your Car because it not a Porsche Lithium, or it will damage you Car. We have seen this many many times and it completely untrue in every statement. But regardless it can get Customer scared, but that is the job of the dealer, to sell only Porshe parts. BUt rest assured if you have ANY reservation, or issues, or are not happy for any reason in the first months with the battery we will take it back and refund you in full including paying the shipping back to us.
All good on my end. My AG should be here tomorrow.
My question on using a charger was I own a battery charger that can be powered by my garage outlet. Should I connect the clamps from my charger to the car clamps while I’m doing the battery swap?
Old 05-11-2023, 12:43 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ottodawg
My battery is the original also. 2 months away from being 9 years old. Did it’s job. No worries I’m not paying any dealer $800 for a battery.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:48 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My question on using a charger was I own a battery charger that can be powered by my garage outlet. Should I connect the clamps from my charger to the car clamps while I’m doing the battery swap?
You would have to have a POWER SUPPLY type of Charger for you to be able to connect it to you Car's Battery Clamps and keep power to the Car while you do the change out. If you have a regular CTEK type charger it will not help to do this because it will not provide energy if it does not detect voltage. The only time you could do this is IF you had a POWER SUPPLY type charger and did not want to lose you radio or other setting.... So if that is what you are trying to achieve you would need to have that type of charger and connect the clamps. Otherwise, you can simply just swap out the battery and the Car will not have power for a few minutes. There is no harm in doing this, most people just detach the Cars cables, put the new battery in and re-attache the cables and are done. Sometimes you will experiance flags after driving the car the first time because the car's voltage went to zero volts during that time, so upon the first starting/driving of the car it will have flags to inform you of the low voltage and things like power steering , RWS flags will happen but almost always go away after the first drive... let me know if I answered you question.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:45 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

FWIW, I've had my battery out 4-5 times, a couple for several weeks. All I've ever had to do is reset the window height memory. Takes about 30 seconds to reset:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1185...-on-991-a.html

The procedure is also in the owners manual.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:35 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
You would have to have a POWER SUPPLY type of Charger for you to be able to connect it to you Car's Battery Clamps and keep power to the Car while you do the change out. If you have a regular CTEK type charger it will not help to do this because it will not provide energy if it does not detect voltage. The only time you could do this is IF you had a POWER SUPPLY type charger and did not want to lose you radio or other setting.... So if that is what you are trying to achieve you would need to have that type of charger and connect the clamps. Otherwise, you can simply just swap out the battery and the Car will not have power for a few minutes. There is no harm in doing this, most people just detach the Cars cables, put the new battery in and re-attache the cables and are done. Sometimes you will experiance flags after driving the car the first time because the car's voltage went to zero volts during that time, so upon the first starting/driving of the car it will have flags to inform you of the low voltage and things like power steering , RWS flags will happen but almost always go away after the first drive... let me know if I answered you question.
Not really needed, but a curiosity question. I just recharged both of my MicroStarts last night. (Held 80% charge after 6 months sitting). Can a MS be used to supply 12V temporarily with the battery out ?

Quick Reply: New battery