Sponsored by: Road Spy

Newbie 991.2 Turbo S question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 10:16 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Newbie 991.2 Turbo S question

Guys, I am thinking of coming back to the dark side after years of playing with GT cars and dabbling with other marques (primarily McLarens & Ferraris).

I want to add a toy to the stable that won't quite be a daily driver, but it will be used more than a weekends only toy. I'm old enough now that I don't plan on tracking, I no longer want to deal with dihedral doors and contortionist bucket seats (McLarens!), and I like my heated seats and bitchin factory audio. This kind of rules out a 991.2 GT3, although I may very well add one at a future date.

This points me to a 991.2 Turbo S coupe. Here are my questions....

Are there any material differences at all amongst the 2017-2019 model years?

Any need to buy the latest (2019) or avoid the earliest (2017)?

Or should I just buy the best car I can find that checks the most of my boxes?

Any and all input appreciated. Best regards to all.

Rob
Old 02-28-2023, 12:07 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Received 360 Likes on 274 Posts

The '17 - '19 has more hp and larger turbos that lends itself to larger gains in tuning hp. The headlight washers were deleted in the '19.
The following users liked this post:
grim sleeper (07-30-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 12:10 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Wolford
Guys, I am thinking of coming back to the dark side after years of playing with GT cars and dabbling with other marques (primarily McLarens & Ferraris).

I want to add a toy to the stable that won't quite be a daily driver, but it will be used more than a weekends only toy. I'm old enough now that I don't plan on tracking, I no longer want to deal with dihedral doors and contortionist bucket seats (McLarens!), and I like my heated seats and bitchin factory audio. This kind of rules out a 991.2 GT3, although I may very well add one at a future date.

This points me to a 991.2 Turbo S coupe. Here are my questions....

Are there any material differences at all amongst the 2017-2019 model years?

Any need to buy the latest (2019) or avoid the earliest (2017)?

Or should I just buy the best car I can find that checks the most of my boxes?

Any and all input appreciated. Best regards to all.

Rob
No changes on 991.2......... 2017-19........ except wireless Apple Play versus corded, but corded never disconnects........I believe the best car with the lowest miles, colors and that has what you want on it, is the key, i.e Burmester......also most of depreciation on earlier cars is gone.......also getting a CPO car would be a good thing.......for some peace of mind.....very happy with my 2017....best 911 I have had over the years.....great in weather, comfortable and performs......also probably the best looking 911 overall as the flagship........
Old 02-28-2023, 12:45 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Keep the comments coming!!!
Old 02-28-2023, 01:01 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree with the above. I had 2 different 2017s and they were both great. I had no complaints other than the interior felt a little dated but only tech wise. I loved the performance and for me it was plenty fast enough. I almost bought a third one but opted for the 992 tts which is a fantastic car. I had very few problems with my cars over the years. It is a car you can get in and drive anywhere under a variety of conditions and was considered my daily driver. My wife loved the car also which was a plus.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:24 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,053 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
... The headlight washers were deleted in the '19.
The 2019 model has a pretty clean look without the headlight washer nubs in front of the headlights on the 2017-2018. I had to replace my headlight washer spray nozzles because they stopped working - I never push that button, but the one time I did push it nothing happened and that was too aggravating for me to let it go. I found out later they only work when the headlights are activated, so that was a few hundred bucks I'll never get back - D'oh !!!

Also, there used to be some kind of rumor about the factory tune on the 2019 being different / better somehow or perhaps the same as on the Exclusive models? I can't remember if that turned out to be true or not.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 02-28-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:42 AM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with all the others above. Buy the best car that is available out there that fits your requirements and don't look back.

My biggest requirement was the ext color (Chalk) and I ended up with a beast that has some options (Special wishes) beyond my imagination that I did not know existed.

Shop for the car that you want and not for the "deal"

You can't go wrong with a 991.2 TTS!
Old 03-01-2023, 01:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Also, there used to be some kind of rumor about the factory tune on the 2019 being different / better somehow or perhaps the same as on the Exclusive models? I can't remember if that turned out to be true or not.
This. Exactly. And maybe only those produced in the same time frame as the Exclusives. Or maybe not.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:03 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am focused on a few that check my boxes. I am afraid to dare ask about current market valuations, as I watched a similar thread devolve into a complete **** show over on the 991.2 GT3/GT3RS forum!

Old 03-01-2023, 10:25 AM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am focused on a few that check my boxes. I am afraid to dare ask about current market valuations, as I watched a similar thread devolve into a complete **** show over on the 991.2 GT3/GT3RS forum!
Hopefully, ****** show wont happen here.

I just bought my car and below are my observations for all 991.2 TTS:

There are quite a few TTS' available with an asking price of $155K to $185k that are sub 20k mile cars w/ CPO and the prices are continuing to come down. In Feb quite a few dropped asking prices by $10K.

There are also some cars that are sub 5k mile cars, with options like PTS and/or high MSRP with asking prices north of $190K. I tried negotiating on some of these and none of the dealers were willing to budge on those cars. Some sold while I was trying to inquire more about them.

If you are after higher mile .2 cars, you can find them well under $150K range especially if you are not picky about CPO and such.

Hope this helps a bit and keep us posted.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

I plead guilty...... I want a low'ish mileage, somewhat unicorn kind of car. I'd like to buy a PTS car, aerokit a plus, hoping for FAL and MUST have Burmeister audio. Most of these cars have asking prices north of $190K, but I have vast data from BaT, PCar Market and other sources showing the deals getting done closer to $170K. I expect dealers will be slow to adhust to the harsh economic reality that their financed inventory is indeed eroding in value every month.

To your point TTG, there is an absolute abundance of cars to choose from, so I will simply be patient until I find the right car with the right seller. After all, the search is half the fun, right?!?!
Old 03-01-2023, 10:40 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

I plead guilty...... I want a low'ish mileage, somewhat unicorn kind of car. I'd like to buy a PTS car, aerokit a plus, hoping for FAL and MUST have Burmeister audio. Most of these cars have asking prices north of $190K, but I have vast data from BaT, PCar Market and other sources showing the deals getting done closer to $170K. I expect dealers will be slow to adhust to the harsh economic reality that their financed inventory is indeed eroding in value every month.

To your point TTG, there is an absolute abundance of cars to choose from, so I will simply be patient until I find the right car with the right seller. After all, the search is half the fun, right?!?!
We sound alike.

I shopped around for about 2 years (not seriously) but started really looking around last summer. Since I was limiting my color option only to Chalk that significantly reduced the pool for me and I was after sub 5k mile cars.

There was a 2019 Chalk on Chalk car with some cool options w/ 5K miles that sold on BAT in Jan for $206K + fees that I really wanted. But one of the must have options for me was sunroof in glass which that car lacked. That car had a MSRP of $218K

Like you said, many cars are becoming available and since you are not limiting your option to one color, take your time and see what is out there. I am so glad I did not bid on the BAT car as I ended up finding the car that I now have with remaining warranty + another 2 years of CPO that had an original MSRP north of $250K+. I did pay premium but I am a happy camper.

Last edited by TTG; 03-01-2023 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie 991.2 Turbo S question