Sponsored by: Road Spy

Service Interval Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 05:17 PM
991TTSCab
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Interval Question

Hi all, I'm new here, and new to Porsche! I've had multiple very fast cars in the past but nothing with the precision of this 911.

The car I bought is a 2014 TTS Cab with 72k miles. I bought the car site unseen (I'm in CA the car was in GA) from a reputable third party dealer, who assured me everything was great (they always say that...), and bought a warranty. Upon receiving and inspecting the car it is almost completely rock solid, except for some wear on the shifter buttons (gonna swap the wheel for a 991.2 anyways) and a little corrosion on the undercarriage from being driven on East Coast roads in the winter.

It is throwing a Service Now message for both Service Interval 1, and 2. The car was serviced, almost exclusively, at Porsche Gold Coast in Jericho, NY. The Carfax only specifically lists the 10k mile service being done, but the car was serviced at all the regular intervals (according to mileage at the time of service), and when I call the dealership their service record keeping seems to be subpar, but they mentioned they listed the car there as CPO at 71.5k miles before selling at auction, so it would have to have had the 60k mile service, etc., done. The service manager won't call me back to give me the CPO certificate.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to do a visual inspection to determine if 60k has been done? Can I check the drive belt? Would the throttle bottle be really dirty?

2. If I'm able to either get the certificate, or visually inspect that the services have been completed, how do I clear the codes? Or do I just wait until the next services? I'm guessing any shop is going to want to perform the services so they can get the money.

Thank you for any input!

​​​​​​​
Old 12-04-2022, 06:39 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

This isn't code related, just a service reminder. I think it would be tough to figure out if the 60k has been done. It would require taking the back apart and checking the spark plugs, belt, pdcc fluid, etc., and at that point might as well perform the maintenance itself. Maybe first contact the dealer where it was seviced and confirm. Dealers are shady so to ease your mind, I would just do the 60k at a reputable indy or trusted dealer.

To clear the codes yourself, you can pick up a device like an iCarsoft or something comparable. It pays to have one of those handy. Or, yes, a shop can do it too but they'll probably charge you the same as the carsoft will cost.

Also, for reference, here the maintenance schedule sheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by aft86; 12-04-2022 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (12-06-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 08:00 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TTSCab
they mentioned they listed the car there as CPO at 71.5k miles before selling at auction, so it would have to have had the 60k mile service, etc., done. The service manager won't call me back to give me the CPO certificate.
It's possible they listed it for sale with CPO included in the price, but were waiting to get a buyer before performing the CPO. If a buyer never materialized, they may have sent it to auction without ever doing the CPO.

Also, I would think your local dealer can run the VIN and tell you if it has the warranty.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 12-04-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:39 PM
991TTSCab
8th Gear

Originally Posted by aft86
This isn't code related, just a service reminder. I think it would be tough to figure out if the 60k has been done. It would require taking the back apart and checking the spark plugs, belt, pdcc fluid, etc., and at that point might as well perform the maintenance itself. Maybe first contact the dealer where it was seviced and confirm. Dealers are shady so to ease your mind, I would just do the 60k at a reputable indy or trusted dealer.

To clear the codes yourself, you can pick up a device like an iCarsoft or something comparable. It pays to have one of those handy. Or, yes, a shop can do it too but they'll probably charge you the same as the carsoft will cost.

Also, for reference, here the maintenance schedule sheet.
Thanks, that's where I was leaning. The service manager not even calling me back is telling that they don't care about customers, and that's probably reflected in their work. I'm going to try again, and also call Porsche customer service, an idea in got by accidentally posting this in the 992 TT/S forum. It's highly likely that I get it done just for the piece of mind, especially since mods start this summer.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:42 PM
991TTSCab
8th Gear

Originally Posted by John D II
It's possible they listed it for sale with CPO included in the price, but were waiting to get a buyer before performing the CPO. If a buyer never materialized, they may have sent it to auction without ever doing the CPO.

Also, I would think your local dealer can run the VIN and tell you if it has the warranty.
Thanks, dealers are so incredibly lame, including my three local ones. I called all three asking for help figuring out if the maintenance had been done, and they all tried to sell me on getting the work done, or a new car.
aft86 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:25 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks, dealers are so incredibly lame, including my three local ones. I called all three asking for help figuring out if the maintenance had been done, and they all tried to sell me on getting the work done, or a new car.
im indy all the way, my dealer is pathetic on service help
aft86 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 01:19 PM
991TTSCab
8th Gear

Originally Posted by barncobob
im indy all the way, my dealer is pathetic on service help
I've got a great local indy shop that I've already had do an oil change and swap tires on the car. I'm indy all the way too.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:36 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Hi all, I'm new here, and new to Porsche! I've had multiple very fast cars in the past but nothing with the precision of this 911.

The car I bought is a 2014 TTS Cab with 72k miles. I bought the car site unseen (I'm in CA the car was in GA) from a reputable third party dealer, who assured me everything was great (they always say that...), and bought a warranty. Upon receiving and inspecting the car it is almost completely rock solid, except for some wear on the shifter buttons (gonna swap the wheel for a 991.2 anyways) and a little corrosion on the undercarriage from being driven on East Coast roads in the winter.

It is throwing a Service Now message for both Service Interval 1, and 2. The car was serviced, almost exclusively, at Porsche Gold Coast in Jericho, NY. The Carfax only specifically lists the 10k mile service being done, but the car was serviced at all the regular intervals (according to mileage at the time of service), and when I call the dealership their service record keeping seems to be subpar, but they mentioned they listed the car there as CPO at 71.5k miles before selling at auction, so it would have to have had the 60k mile service, etc., done. The service manager won't call me back to give me the CPO certificate.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to do a visual inspection to determine if 60k has been done? Can I check the drive belt? Would the throttle bottle be really dirty?

2. If I'm able to either get the certificate, or visually inspect that the services have been completed, how do I clear the codes? Or do I just wait until the next services? I'm guessing any shop is going to want to perform the services so they can get the money.

Thank you for any input!
To reiterate some of what has been said...

Yes, that is just a service reminder, easily reset with a Porsche-specic iCarsoft or Foxwell code scanner.

Plugs would be the easiest tell-tale if the service was done, but it is not easy to get to the plugs on a 991 turbo!

A Porsche CPO is technically terminated when the car is sold through a non-Porsche dealer. So even if it did/does have a CPO, Porsche can deny warranty coverage under it if they want to. But to see if it does have a CPO, just go to your local Porsche dealer and have them check the VIN. If it shows as CPO. This is what dealers are going to look for, not a paper certificate.

Don't go out of your way to mention the third-party sale. The CPO stays in place if it was a direct sale from another owner, but if the carfax shows the third party dealer transaction, they can deny...

As mentioned earlier, dealers sometimes advertise a car as CPO, or CPO eligible, but do not actually do the required service work or pay for and file the CPO paperwork unless they sell it directly.

What exactly do the carfax entries show for the service work performed? If that original dealer has shut you down, that might be your only documentation and probably should assume the big 60K service has NOT been done.

60K service i think also includes a PDK flush....

Last edited by pfbz; 12-07-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:37 PM
991TTSCab
8th Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz
To reiterate some of what has been said...

Yes, that is just a service reminder, easily reset with a Porsche-specic iCarsoft or Foxwell code scanner.

Plugs would be the easiest tell-tale if the service was done, but it is not easy to get to the plugs on a 991 turbo!

A Porsche CPO is technically terminated when the car is sold through a non-Porsche dealer. So even if it did/does have a CPO, Porsche can deny warranty coverage under it if they want to. But to see if it does have a CPO, just go to your local Porsche dealer and have them check the VIN. If it shows as CPO. This is what dealers are going to look for, not a paper certificate.

Don't go out of your way to mention the third-party sale. The CPO stays in place if it was a direct sale from another owner, but if the carfax shows the third party dealer transaction, they can deny...

As mentioned earlier, dealers sometimes advertise a car as CPO, or CPO eligible, but do not actually do the required service work or pay for and file the CPO paperwork unless they sell it directly.

What exactly do the carfax entries show for the service work performed? If that original dealer has shut you down, that might be your only documentation and probably should assume the big 60K service has NOT been done.

60K service i think also includes a PDK flush....
It does include a PDK flush. I'm just assuming it hasn't been done so taking it to a local indy shop that's legit, they're going to pull the plugs and check them first.

Quick Reply: Service Interval Question