Sponsored by: Road Spy

Possible PDK issue 991.1 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 10:56 PM
puneet116
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
no... at the very back of the plenum, on the left-side of the 'Y', there is a vacuum line with a check-valve coming up from the engine and plugs into the barb.... I ran two pieces of silicone vacuum line back there... one to the barb on the plenum, and capped it off.... this will cap off the plenum and make sure no boost can escape or any crud gets sucked in.... the second line attaches to the check-valve that was originally going into the plenum.... this one i just have vented to the atmosphere so the vapors can still escape. Both lines are then ziptied to something (i forget what) to keep them out of the way of other stuff.
wow, wouldn’t have guessed that. Is that to circumvent some defective part? Meaning if the line is supposed to go from check valve to plenum why would it need to be capped? Is it different in the stock setup? Sorry for the many questions?
Old 08-20-2024, 06:43 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by puneet116
wow, wouldn’t have guessed that. Is that to circumvent some defective part? Meaning if the line is supposed to go from check valve to plenum why would it need to be capped? Is it different in the stock setup? Sorry for the many questions?
I don't think I'm familiar enough with the engineering/plumbing to be able to say for certain...

interestingly enough, it seems to have ruled out that my problem was the valve lift solenoids, which a lot of people end up replacing, seemingly with about a 50% success rate.

i really do hate these over-engineered machines... yet i still have some sick obsession with them.

Old 08-20-2024, 09:08 AM
puneet116
Track Day

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
I don't think I'm familiar enough with the engineering/plumbing to be able to say for certain...

interestingly enough, it seems to have ruled out that my problem was the valve lift solenoids, which a lot of people end up replacing, seemingly with about a 50% success rate.

i really do hate these over-engineered machines... yet i still have some sick obsession with them.
thank you so much! Hopefully this information helps many getting the same code. @SamboTT@ByDesign any help here in knowing why the line needs to be capped, the reason behind this will be helpful to the community.

Old 08-20-2024, 12:06 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 594 Posts

Hi. It’s a little tough. I’ve been trying to help people in the community with this issue for many years now. It’s not always the same thing and sometimes it can be two or three things. That’s why it has to be gone through methodically. We kept things off to isolate the secondary air system, and the oil separator individually and complete Recirculation system so we can try to figure out what’s going on. But then you’ll also have to look at other parameters. You have to look at the tune so many different things. Could be as simple as a leak on one side or a VTG actuator. It could be an oxygen sensor or the oil separator sure. But it gets complicated. Working with your tuner to go through. The individual items is usually , the only way to figure out what’s going on. Or shop of course. I can always try to help, but it’s not a simple answer.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following 2 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
onfireTTS (08-20-2024), SonofaBish (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 12:19 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi. It’s a little tough. I’ve been trying to help people in the community with this issue for many years now. It’s not always the same thing and sometimes it can be two or three things. That’s why it has to be gone through methodically. We kept things off to isolate the secondary air system, and the oil separator individually and complete Recirculation system so we can try to figure out what’s going on. But then you’ll also have to look at other parameters. You have to look at the tune so many different things. Could be as simple as a leak on one side or a VTG actuator. It could be an oxygen sensor or the oil separator sure. But it gets complicated. Working with your tuner to go through. The individual items is usually , the only way to figure out what’s going on. Or shop of course. I can always try to help, but it’s not a simple answer.
I am just amazed at the time and effort that you bring to the forum on issues like this. Very selfless !
The following users liked this post:
SonofaBish (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 01:05 PM
puneet116
Track Day

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign

thank you! @SamboTT@ByDesign
Old 08-20-2024, 01:51 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers. Talk soon
The following users liked this post:
SonofaBish (08-20-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 07:34 PM
ByDesign991.1TT
6th Gear

Default I have the same or similar issues with my stage 4 991.1 Turbo

Originally Posted by xhrix
Hey Guys, so I was getting the p1373 and then the pdk code and the. It moves from manual to auto.

i narrowed it down to the aos (air oil separator)

let me explain. The pdk code 199 is a failsafe for the p1373. So it has zero to do with the pdk.

the p1373 is the imbalance between the left and right bank. The problem is with a faulty aos you will be putting a ton of oil and causing a ton of issues. Try this test… remove the hose going from aos to your inlet on the passenger side and drive it for a while. It will be venting to atmosphere.

if you can clean all the oil in the intake I run meth so it can help to clean it out.

make sure you drive it hard to clean the engine of the oil.

since doing this I have had no p1373 and the car runs stronger than ever. So next step is replacing aos.
I have constant fault codes logged on Bank 2, secondary air injection fault and Catalytic conversion errors. The car does not have any cats installed and the map I believe is to suit this.
The car has never driven correctly and I cannot drive it hard in map 3, 21psi of boost. I get clutch slip and on a few occasions have lost all control of the engine and gearbox at very high speed, (engine still idles but not throttle and unable to downshift).
I Have pdk codes P181C which have narrowed down to the gearbox oil pressure sensor (3) but always had the previously mentioned problems from day one of owning the car.
I have several other issues with the spoilers and rear steering.
It all sounds like I load of issues but I am convinced that the resolve is more simple than it appears.
I am desperate to get to the bottom of this as I have had the car 2 years and still not resolved the problem for fear of running round in circles. I am trying to pin point the right area to look at rather than going round the houses chasing lots of red herrings.
Thanks in advance.
Jim.
I

Old 08-23-2024, 08:41 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Jim, we haven’t spoken in a while. I’m sorry about the issues you’re having. I think it stems from the car being run hard on the stock clutch. I think your fluid and valve body/sensors are perhaps contaminated. Being an XR with a stock clutch, I remember it was at its limits. Have you tried doing a fluid flush and cleaning up the valve body?
Old 08-25-2024, 05:55 AM
ByDesign991.1TT
6th Gear

Hi Sam.
Thank you for you reply.
Yes I flushed the gearbox twice and the valve body was not contaminated.
I do now have a faulty gearbox pressure sensor 3 flagging code P181C. That however doesn't cause any issues unless I'm driving it really hard in higher boost.
The constant issues I have with the engine are on bank 2 secondary air injection and catalytic converter faults. They come up all the time and trigger the engine light. The car does not have cats.
This seems like a common issue that you have addressed. Would you be able to advise where I look specifically please?
​​​​
Old 08-25-2024, 01:11 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak. Can you smoke and pressure test? Cat codes will depend on the exhaust.

Old 08-26-2024, 01:12 PM
ByDesign991.1TT
6th Gear

Default Vacuum leak.

I have checked the system through but will have a look and smoke test as soon as I can.
Thank you Sam.

Quick Reply: Possible PDK issue 991.1 Turbo S