Sponsored by: Road Spy

Possible PDK issue 991.1 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 03:37 PM
Jenthay
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible PDK issue 991.1 Turbo S

Hi everyone! I know PDK is rarely the actual culprit of many of the issues, but I am at a loss as to what the issue may be.

I will be driving the car in manual (full manual not just drive but using paddles) and the car will randomly kick itself out of manual mode and will not allow me to shift manually until I turn the car off and back on again. When this happens while driving in sport plus the car will not shift until it reaches redline. I believe the sport plus shift points are because of the Cobb tune we have on the car because it will shift normally when in any other driving mode. Usually, the car will be fine if you switch it off and back on, and I've only gotten codes one time when it has happened. The codes were DME P1373 and PDK P199A along with the dash warning "Engine control fault consult a workshop". Since then we have completed everything on the list of possible issues sent over from Porsche (attached below), and the issue is still happening. I'm definitely tired of playing the guessing game as to what is wrong with the car and so is my wallet 😂 I also cannot recreate this problem as it is very intermittent, so it's nearly impossible to catch on a data log. Sometimes it happens wide-open throttle on the highway, and sometimes it's when I'm going 20 on city streets.

If anyone has had any issues similar, or anything that might help it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-26-2022, 02:51 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 441 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Not to be trite

But did you try unloading tune ?
Old 06-26-2022, 04:13 PM
Jenthay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
But did you try unloading tune ?
Yes that was one of the first things we tried.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:05 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Strange!

I flashed my 991.2 Turbo ECU with a Cobb Stage 1 93 octane 3 weeks ago, and it has been totally flawless in Manual mode, Sport+.
I drive mostly in Manual Mode Sport+, except in Normal Manual during engine oil warmup. After warmup and when when hitting it really hard in 1st gear, i change to PDK Auto mode because Redline happens so fast in first gear that I often don't react and upshift soon enough to avoid hitting Redline in 1st gear.

Last edited by PCA1983; 06-26-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:11 PM
Jenthay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Strange!

I flashed my 991.2 Turbo ECU with a Cobb Stage 1 93 octane 3 weeks ago, and it has been totally flawless in Manual mode, Sport+.
I drive mostly in Manual Mode Sport+, except in Normal during engine warmup. After warmup and when when hitting it really hard in 1st gear, i change to PDK Auto mode because Redline happens so fast in first hear that I often don't react and upshift soon enough to avoid hitting Redline in 1st gear.
Do you have a specific transmission tune on it or just the Cobb Stage 1? Yeah, I keep trying to catch the mess ups on a log with the Cobb but every time I log it won't mess up. Then when I'm just going to the grocery store it will kick itself out. haha

I have a few different transmission tunes, so I'm thinking I may try flashing a different tune or reflashing the current one.

Last edited by Jenthay; 06-26-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:19 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 594 Posts

It’s a common issue but not the transmission. 1373 is a valve lift code that we see on some cars from time to time. It’s reporting an imbalance between the left and right bank which is why it thinks there’s a valve lift problem. But that list which I probably sent your guy? Sorry I can’t recall all the different names and screen names but that’s the list Porsche wants you to look at. It’s very often related to an air leak or VTG calibration between the two sides. Very rarely it’s the actual valve lift solenoid or actuator itself as well. When these issues pop up or any other type of issue you’ll go into a limp mode with the transmission and codes will pop up there but it originated from the engine side.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following 3 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
E Allen (03-11-2024), Jenthay (06-29-2022), Queksilber (10-16-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:59 AM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any news on your problem? I’m also experiencing the same issues you are having with it in manual mode and not being able to shift manually until the cars ignition is cycled. I was going to try changing my Cobb PDK maps to see if that might fix it.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:01 PM
Jenthay
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Any news on your problem? I’m also experiencing the same issues you are having with it in manual mode and not being able to shift manually until the cars ignition is cycled. I was going to try changing my Cobb PDK maps to see if that might fix it.
Check O2 sensors. Since changing both of mine I haven't had the issue again. I haven't been able to drive it as much recently though due to work and the weather in Florida. Since the issue is so intermittent it's hard to tell if it is fixed, but so far I have had no issues since doing the O2s. I tried switching PDK maps as well, but it never fixed the issue.

Last edited by Jenthay; 07-28-2022 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgreen78 (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:32 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenthay
Do you have a specific transmission tune on it or just the Cobb Stage 1? Yeah, I keep trying to catch the mess ups on a log with the Cobb but every time I log it won't mess up. Then when I'm just going to the grocery store it will kick itself out. haha

I have a few different transmission tunes, so I'm thinking I may try flashing a different tune or reflashing the current one.
If you have a Cobb AP I am assuming you have run the PDK Relearn when the car was tuned or when you changed tunes. If not definitely run the Relearn in your Cobb Troubleshoot area.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:07 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Sorry I forgot to mention my COBB AP does have PDK flash. I flashed the PDK with the COBB "Sport" flash.
I didn't do any relearn, but I do a lot of hard pulls because I'm retired and only use my Turbo for Sunny day blasts.

Last edited by PCA1983; 08-01-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:02 PM
Ian Kelso
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check O2 sensors. Since changing both of mine I haven't had the issue again. I haven't been able to drive it as much recently though due to work and the weather in Florida. Since the issue is so intermittent it's hard to tell if it is fixed, but so far I have had no issues since doing the O2s. I tried switching PDK maps as well, but it never fixed the issue.
Aren't there 4 O2 sensors? 2 upstream and 2 downstream? Do you know which ones you changed? I'm about to start messing with this and trying to fix my car that keeps doing this as well.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:53 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Any update on this....?

I think i have the same exact issue on a ES850 car, so both engine and PDK tunes.... last summer it would happen very intermittently (i put about 4K miles on the car and it happened 2-3 times). but happened several times yesterday, and the car developed some other symptoms... 1.) maintaining a cruise speed of 40mph or 50mph, car will have slight surges.... 2.) at idle, it'll idle nice and steady, then stumble every 5-8 seconds and recover.

The same codes for engine and PDK were stored, but they weren't 'active' on the PIWIS, so i somewhat disregarded them... but now I'm questioning that decision.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:02 PM
991TTPR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Im still having same issue since 2023 without any solution.... have change both bank selenoid and problem persist...

Has any one find a solution?
Old 04-27-2024, 10:27 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TTPR
Hi Im still having same issue since 2023 without any solution.... have change both bank selenoid and problem persist...

Has any one find a solution?
I did a datalog with cobb when the symptoms happen to read out the the cam selenoids and all seemed OK, but when the lambda readings jump around... so between that and someone in this thread having luck changing o2 sensors, I had new ones put in, but that didn't fix the issue....
so I'm a bit befuddled
Old 04-27-2024, 03:21 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 979 Likes on 594 Posts

Sorry you are experiencing this issue guys. It's not too uncommon and almost never the actual solenoid. The car is seeing an imbalance between banks. it can be so many things. Feel free to reach out and we can help you troubleshoot.

Quick Reply: Possible PDK issue 991.1 Turbo S