Water Pump Failure at 50,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 04:12 PM
tinkll1
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Followup to your wager

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I wager if you did it you'd be back in a 911 before you reach 86...
On December 17, 2021, I took delivery of a dark metallic blue Tesla S Plaid. On January 4, 2002, I sold my 991.1 Turbo S to two lovely physicians from Montana. On the same day, my 992 Turbo S (Gentian blue/graphite blue) was completed, and began the journey to delivery. On March 7, 2022, when the Glovis Sonic docked in Benicia, CA at 2:30 AM, I was there to see it. On March 14, I took delivery from Porsche Marin (Indigo). The Tesla enjoyed its exclusive place in the garage until the Porsche arrived, and now it sits in the driveway at the end of a long tether. A Mini John Cooper Works provides me with worry-free trips to the supermarket or crowded parking lots. For 69 days, I was without a Porsche to drive, for the first time since 1966 (My first new Porsche, a 912.) I welcomed the Porsche back. I have no plans to sell the Plaid which is a fabulous car, and has room for my wife's wheelchair, which the Porsche does not.

A 4 car household with 2 drivers and a 2 car garage, half of which is used for storage, forces a choice. A long charger cable allows the Tesla to be charged in the driveway. The Mini JCW is a kick, and, by comparison, expendable.

The Blues Brothers are rather remarkably close in hue, my previous Porsches having been, mostly, metallic midnight blue. Its a hell of a good life for an octogenarian.
The following users liked this post:
techi14 (07-22-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 06:38 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkll1
First, my apology for not getting back to Rennlist for way too long.

Many excellent points, and, yes, it is a very imperfect world. We, Porsche enthusiasts, share an appreciation for the core values that characterized a tiny German (Austrian) company in the 1940's when no one could foresee what success lay ahead, but the engineering and attention to detail, the styling, the underdog role, all created sympathetic vibrations in a community of enthusiasts that grew over the years and was rewarded by an involving product line clothed in competitive success. It appealed to aesthetics and to engineering creativity, and the facts and the aspirations and fantasies grew into myth and, almost, folklore. Yet, it had to be a business, and a very complex one, at that. I agree with you that Lexus, for example, would handle a failure of their product in a very different, and a more empathetic way. They roll out the red carpet that absolutely seduces my wife when she has her car serviced and she is totally unaware of the margin built into the pricing that allows Toyota to do this. Also, this kind of a problem doesn't happen in a Toyota because they are built to last.... perhaps, overbuilt to last! Reliability surveys generally attest to this, though Porsche seems to score higher than many of its customers would imagine.

As I am in a service field that describes itself as a "profession" I make the mistake of projecting professional values on to a market interaction. The automobile business from design to manufacture to sales to service is a profit-driven capitalistic enterprise, and Porsche has been extremely successful, building on a reputation that was honestly acquired, and a willing audience that adds far more than vehicular utility to its purchase. We, Porsche addicts, expect more, and we shouldn't. The answer, of course, is competition. One must keep in mind that our expectations, fanned as they are by folklore and advertising, are for qualities that are far more difficult to measure than how long a part lasts in use. We are paying for a cache, in part, and the arrogance that I note within the corporation (Porsche GMBH) in the attitude of "We build the cars with our expertise, and your job is to get in line to buy them," is a consequence of supply and demand, of yielding to the conclusion that this is the best we can expect in the real world.

Thank you again.
good commentary…..Porsche should watch carefully as newer Porsche drivers don’t wave or flash their lights at each other as frequently….the loyalty is waning with other competitive choices….Porsche should have a commercial campaign devised on the wave/light flash camaraderie….to bring attention to their brand being revered by its proud owners….but unfortunately they may have forgotten about this tradition of expressing brand loyalty, as they take it for granted…..and market more broadly winning and losing buyers caring about just being ahead in the customer plus or sales column year to year…
The following users liked this post:
RadarP3C (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure at 50,000 miles