Sponsored by: Road Spy

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 04:43 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Often they don’t bite as well at colder temperatures, like you would get driving on the freeway for extended periods, especially in colder times of the year. Then if you need to stop, they’re too cold for maximum bite and your stopping distance can be longer than you might expect!

A few years back, I left downtown Seattle in my M5 (with CCDs), got on I5, and headed north for 200kms in the rain and cold. When I got to the exit for Blaine, I was running around 75/80mph and went to brake - got nothing, put the pedal to the floor, and then finally, got some heat in them. Scred the living **** out of me because I was convinced I was going off road.

Turns out that Brembo makes the carbons for the BMW as well, and when I went back to BMW to whine a bit about it, they said this was normal brake behavior...

A couple of months ago, on a little excursion to Alberta and back, the exact same thing happened in the TTs after a sustained drive in the wet, in cooler temps - but this time, I suspected braking may be a little diminished, and lo and behold, was it ever. I was happy I gave myself more space to slow down.
Yikes! Are there aftermarket pads with better cold bite, though? This is a bit unusual. Ordinarily you mostly run into this issue with more race or track-oriented pads that have a higher effective operating temperature but don’t work well in cold weather.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:13 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Yikes! Are there aftermarket pads with better cold bite, though? This is a bit unusual. Ordinarily you mostly run into this issue with more race or track-oriented pads that have a higher effective operating temperature but don’t work well in cold weather.
This is typically only an issue for me in cold AND wet conditions. So I usually just pump the brake every couple minutes to keep a little heat in them whenever driving in cold rain. I can’t answer the question on aftermarket pads for PCCB, but I’d be hesitant to try given how expensive the rotors are. Totally different ball of wax with steel rotors..wish I could offer more answers..
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (12-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Brake pads