Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo S exhaust recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 12:59 PM
TurboSF
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I wanted as aggressive as I can get, without drone...and without breaking the bank. In addition, I live in California and really need the ability to run my OEM cats if need be. That limited my options fairly substantially, as many aftermarket systems come with their own cats, or cats that wouldn't be CA legal.

Very happy with my FVD Brombacher setup...very inexpensive compared to most of these other exhaust options ($1900)...quality german made by M&M.

Mated with Soul performance bypass tubes, it's about as aggressive as you can get, minus the bad drone of catless, basically straight pipe setups (when using Sharkwerks, Quicksilver, SpeedTech, etc). In normal driving/cruising, there is a bit of drone but never to where it bothers me and I'm very drone sensitive.

As said, this FVD setup allows me to throw my stock cats back on if I need to for the CA smog ****'s.

My friend is running the Sharkwerks catless setup and his is definitely a bit louder and more-aggressive, with considerable more drone in the cabin.

All my buddies are telling me my car sounds great from behind. Loud burbles/pops in sport plus.

Flames too.

Sport Muffler 991.2 Turbo / S - Brombacher - Sound Version - For OEM Cats and Tips
Interesting... I am in California as well. Will the other options being recommended here on the forum create smog passage issues? Or only if you go with a setup that deletes the cats?
Old 11-09-2020, 01:14 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSF
Interesting... I am in California as well. Will the other options being recommended here on the forum create smog passage issues? Or only if you go with a setup that deletes the cats?
It is very possible that smog shops will not pass you visually if you clearly have an aftermarket system with high flow, non OEM cats (even if there are no codes). Some shops will overlook it, so as long as there are no codes. Some will say if it's non CARB certified, no go. I had a buddy that has a largely stock 996 turbo, with a Kline setup and 200 cell cats. The first smog shop told him they wouldn't pass him. The second overlooked it and he was fine.

I hear it's simply getting harder to pass, so I didn't want to risk it. Precisely why I went towards a system that could employ my OEM cats.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:48 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Any setup that involves aftermarket cats is a smog failure in CA (except for a couple rural counties). Even if you pass the sniffer test, you will fail the visual inspection. Of course, if you can find a friendly smog shop, or if you are willing to swap the OEM cats back in during inspection time, that's a different story.

But any catback system should pass without issues.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:59 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Hi there. New to the forum and a first time Porsche owner here after owning majority Audi most of my life. Picked up a 2018 Turbo S on Friday and I am in love with it. Only thing is I would like an exhaust that is a bit louder. Have been looking at a number of options including Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, Akrapovic, etc. Is there a general consensus on the best quality / sounding exhaust for the Turbo S? Hard to tell differences from YouTube clips unfortunately. I searched the forums and didn't come up with much either.

Thanks in advance!
Hey there, we offer a couple of options for your car! Feel free to give us a call or send an email!
1.714.432.1582 or email Sales@gmgracing.com

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...o-(991-2)-2018

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...ry-tip-adapter

GMG Exhaust with GIAC Tune

GMG WC-Sport Exhaust System w/ Muffler Delete

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 11-09-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Medakiss (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Very happy with my FVD Brombacher setup... Mated with Soul performance bypass tubes, it's about as aggressive as you can get, minus the bad drone of catless, basically straight pipe setups (when using Sharkwerks, Quicksilver, SpeedTech, etc). In normal driving/cruising, there is a bit of drone but never to where it bothers me and I'm very drone sensitive.
Very interested to quiz you a bit more about this, as I've been considering a change to the FVD muffler.

I went with the Soul X pipe with stock cats. Although in my initial review linked above I expressed no concerns about it's sound, I've developed one over time. When cruising lightly on-throttle between 2-2.5k rpm, there is some drone. This is a non-issue when I am driving in a spirited manner and the revs are up and continuously changing (which is much of the time). There are two situations in which this drone bugs me: on a long highway trip where the car hangs in that 2-2.5k rpm range it makes it harder to enjoy music, and when my wife is in the car and I am driving low-key, then conversation becomes strained and she wants to know why I messed with the nice stock exhaust (lol).

So Moto, this sets up two questions: would you describe the drone you experience in a similar way, which might suggest I'd accomplish nothing by changing? And have you yet run the FVD muffler with the stock cats on, to be able to comment on whether that would reduce the drone you've observed so far?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Another recommendation for Kline from Sambo. Sounds great, excellent quality. In NC they check CELs for emissions so no issue w/100 cel cats.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:05 PM
3oaks
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for Kline and Sam. I went with 200 cell and couldn’t be happier.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:41 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
Kline from Sam @ By-Design .
I second that...has his own spec and close relationship with Kline

I love mine
Old 11-10-2020, 01:46 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by vrybad
How well do the 100 cell cats work, if you are using them?
I'm curious if 100 cell cats do enough to mitigate the exhaust smell?
Exhaust smell is a good thing lmao

puts hair on your chest 😂😂😂

I’m running catless and often with race fuel....we were stopped at a light and my wife asks; ‘what’s that smell, is that normal?’

I say yes dear, she says oh, that’s not good...I mash on the gas pedal and tell her we just have to drive fast enough to not smell it”

she’s never mentioned it again since then 😂😂😂

Last edited by Steven31371; 11-10-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:28 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I have Kline Inconel race version. It’s a little louder than the standard Kline version but sounds amazing.

Spoiler

Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

A little louder ?..what's a little ?..50%...any drone cruising ?..I'm still on the fence...reg inconel or possibly this...catless?
Old 11-10-2020, 12:45 PM
PorscheJN
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TtimeS
I have Kline Inconel race version. It’s a little louder than the standard Kline version but sounds amazing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fm_rupqVis
Spoiler

That actually sound pretty good. That's how high performance boxer engine should sound like
The following users liked this post:
TtimeS (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:47 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
A little louder ?..what's a little ?..50%...any drone cruising ?..I'm still on the fence...reg inconel or possibly this...catless?
I previously had the stainless version, both with decat. I think I have a video of the old car. I’ll post it and guys can compare the inconel race vs stainless. I would say like 30-40% louder, it’s more noticeable higher in the rpm range the inconel really sounds great. Very little drone, specially in normal mode. This is my old car with stainless Kline

Old 11-10-2020, 01:06 PM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 158 Posts

Here’s the Europipe 100 cell exhaust. Sounds very melodic and does it drone? No it doesn’t drone.

The following 2 users liked this post by stef@europipe:
NVRANUF (11-17-2020), Steven31371 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:43 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Sam’s spec Kline Catless Inconel

The following 2 users liked this post by Steven31371:
doctj (02-24-2024), Medakiss (11-11-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo S exhaust recommendation?