Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

6 month ownership... Mixed feelings - time to move on already now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 10:36 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

If the difference is more than 20K - you could fix all the issues for less than that. Springs, Seatbelts, Car Play + back up Camera. Probably for less than 10K

As to speed - a Turbo S is only fast if the boost is on. So if you or your wife arent on it - its not like an unmanageable car in any sense. If it isnt on boost its like a regular Carrera NA 3.8 from a bygone era. If you're pottering around in normal - its a little lamb - my wife finds it so much easier to drive than my old 997 C2S. And she definitely didnt love my Lambo which just left.

So before you spend 20K - just be wise about it. The springs are probably a big cause of your dislike.
The following 3 users liked this post by rodsky:
AirBusPilot (11-05-2020), Frank996 (11-02-2020), Pb Pedis (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Frank996

Received 147 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto911turboS
Hi Op,
I'm also from Switzerland and have a 51k km 991.1 tts from 2015.
Not sure you'll get 100k. I asked many garages as I was envisaging trading mine, the highest I got was 107k as trade in price.

I would definitely say that if you are considering just swapping for another 991.1 tts with your wanted features, it's just better to as them than to switch the car..
Hey @Toto911turboS

Thank for jumping in... I already got an ok trade in quote from Porsche (not too far off from yours) and subject to test driving the GTS - and them to check out the Turbo S - I'll most likely go with the offer. Have it lined up for now on Thursday morning...
Yes, this lesson has taught me a few things and also cost me quite a bit BUT at least I'll have a car I can enjoy (with my better half as well) which almost as important as driving the 911 in itself.

May I ask what Canton you're in? as you can see I'm in FR
Old 11-02-2020, 10:43 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
If the difference is more than 20K - you could fix all the issues for less than that. Springs, Seatbelts, Car Play + back up Camera. Probably for less than 10K

As to speed - a Turbo S is only fast if the boost is on. So if you or your wife arent on it - its not like an unmanageable car in any sense. If it isnt on boost its like a regular Carrera NA 3.8 from a bygone era. If you're pottering around in normal - its a little lamb - my wife finds it so much easier to drive than my old 997 C2S. And she definitely didnt love my Lambo which just left.

So before you spend 20K - just be wise about it. The springs are probably a big cause of your dislike.
I agree with the entire post but the spring issue is a real one.
I just picked up a 2015 TTS, all stock, and it rides as it should, but I rode in my buddy's 997TT with lowering springs and it is too bouncy for my taste.
I think leaving these cars on stock suspension if the best choice for most purchasers, unless the "look" is more important than a decent ride.

Last edited by vrybad; 11-02-2020 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vrybad:
AirBusPilot (11-05-2020), Pb Pedis (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 658 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by rodsky
If the difference is more than 20K - you could fix all the issues for less than that. Springs, Seatbelts, Car Play + back up Camera. Probably for less than 10K..As to speed - a Turbo S is only fast if the boost is on. So if you or your wife arent on it - its not like an unmanageable car in any sense. If it isnt on boost its like a regular Carrera NA 3.8 from a bygone era. If you're pottering around in normal - its a little lamb - my wife finds it so much easier to drive than my old 997 C2S. And she definitely didnt love my Lambo which just left...So before you spend 20K - just be wise about it. The springs are probably a big cause of your dislike.
Originally Posted by r00t61
1. Yellow seatbelts - these can be changed: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991DBELTS.html
2. Yellow stitching - you can use a marker pen to change the color - they have been doing this mod on Corvettes for years: https://www.corvettemods.com/Leather...s%20ad%20group
3. Apple carplay: can add a kit from joye2auto or carplay2air, the guys on 991 forum seem to have good success with it: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...91-1-a-67.html
4. Reverse camera: many aftermarket options here, too numerous to list
Frank996, I recognize these are all personal decisions, but I would do the math the way Rodsky states above and I would seriously consider the options that r00t61 posted earlier. If the excess power is still a concern, I guess you could "de-tune" the car for less boost? Sort of create your own GTS model? It just seems harsh to sell the Turbo S to buy a model with less power. For what it's worth, I think the OEM suspension is great and have no interest in risking the comfortable ride for the sake of having a "lower" vehicle that puts the spoiler and other body components further at risk of curbs, etc. Can't you just restore the OEM springs?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:38 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,136 Likes on 3,129 Posts

I share a similar sentiment between the 991.2tts and my 996tt.

Although the 991.2 is a road legal missile, refined, under warranty, I find that the digital nature of the car (and the lack of a manual) make the 996tt a more engaging car to drive. I like the comfort on the road of the 991.2 and it's ability to eat miles comfortably for hours on end is unmatched.

But... the lack of analogue involvement and the coarseness of flinging around a manual is always in the back of my mind. I'm not going to get rid of the 991.2, its purpose is well defined, but it is most unlikely that Porsche is ever going to bring back a manual in the turbo line, so the 996tt will be a forever car.

If you are in a position to get what you want, and that will bring joy to your driving experience (and lady wife for that matter...), go for it because you only live once, and living with regret sucks.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst

Although the 991.2 is a road legal missile, refined, under warranty, I find that the digital nature of the car (and the lack of a manual) make the 996tt a more engaging car to drive. I like the comfort on the road of the 991.2 and it's ability to eat miles comfortably for hours on end is unmatched.

But... the lack of analogue involvement and the coarseness of flinging around a manual is always in the back of my mind. I'm not going to get rid of the 991.2, its purpose is well defined, but it is most unlikely that Porsche is ever going to bring back a manual in the turbo line, so the 996tt will be a forever car.

If you are in a position to get what you want, and that will bring joy to your driving experience (and lady wife for that matter...), go for it because you only live once, and living with regret sucks.
I'd agree - but unless the 996 TT manual - is a toy/fun car that you use on weekends (3rd car or 4th car), its not feasible to me to be a substitute for my 991 TT that i use almost everyday. Its the reason why i dont daily a GT3RS or Lambo Performante.

IMO - The TT is the best all arounder out there. But its not the most hardcore or engaging or loudest or most fun. Its really really good at a bunch of things.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would agree with that; that's why I am coveting the warranty...
Old 11-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Frank, it sounds like you're doing the right thing for all the right reasons. Modifying it would be like doubling down on the initial purchase mistake and end up just adding to the regret.

I'm feeling exactly the same way about my 991.2 TTS and '14 Viper TA with a stick. It's become clear that there's no way to find everything I want in one car so I just might as well give up on that notion.
Frank996 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 03:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I'm feeling exactly the same way about my 991.2 TTS and '14 Viper TA with a stick. It's become clear that there's no way to find everything I want in one car so I just might as well give up on that notion.
A very good friend of mine has a Viper GTS, and he was kind enough to let me try it once. I can remember thinking, wow, this is really cool, but watch yourself, things could get hairy quickly, but a really engaging drive nonetheless.

Then, it started to rain, a little at first, followed by constant, driving rain. It was early fall, so there hadn't been tons of rain yet, so the roads became pretty slick.

At this point, the pucker factor increased exponentially because I soon found the car very difficult to drive and apply power, add to the fun the hydro planing action, and I was thinking, the sooner it was parked, the happier I would be.

I am not sure what the best all around car is, there are many I would still like to try, but I am of the opinion that the 911 series is one of the better ones - at least when I hydro-planed it at 140kmh, it still kept going straight...
Old 11-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

A very good friend of mine has a Viper GTS, and he was kind enough to let me try it once. I can remember thinking, wow, this is really cool, but watch yourself, things could get hairy quickly, but a really engaging drive nonetheless.
The 2013+ generation are actually very well-mannered, despite the Viper's public reputation. They're intimidating at first to be sure, but if you ease into their abilities and give yourself a chance to discover handling at the limit you discover a highly capable and predictable handling masterpiece. 295 and 355 width tires will definitely hydroplane on standing water, and dancing on its high limits on a dry track requires skill and measured inputs. I had one week with mine before a track lapping day at Mosport and it rained all day. All I could do to prepare was do some quick tests in a vacant paddock and then out I went. Hardly a wiggle under braking or acceleration, stable at high speed while mostly avoiding standing water.

Always exciting...but I'm still thinking a nice 911 C2 or C4 might be ideal for Frank!

Frank996 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 04:51 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

*Now wants to try a 2013+ Viper*
Old 11-03-2020, 08:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,235 Likes on 606 Posts

To the OP - sounds like you should trade in the current ar and get a 991.2 GTS or Turbo, whichever you can find a better deal on. Either will be an improvement, based on your criteria, and a chance to get rid of the annoyances. Also, given that you do not need all the power, GTS may do the job just as fine.
Frank996 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Frank996

Received 147 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
To the OP - sounds like you should trade in the current ar and get a 991.2 GTS or Turbo, whichever you can find a better deal on. Either will be an improvement, based on your criteria, and a chance to get rid of the annoyances. Also, given that you do not need all the power, GTS may do the job just as fine.
I did - today... Got a white 2018 991.2 GTS with 1'500 mls on the clock (avatar updated). So happy days.

@Bruce H. my 2 first 911's were C4S' and really enjoyed them, so thought a GTS would make more sense, and to try something else (for now)... I may come back to the Turbo/S one day, but for now I'm feeling all good :-)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Sounds like you found the perfect 911! Congrats and enjoy!
Frank996 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Congrats !
Frank996 (11-06-2020)

Quick Reply: 6 month ownership... Mixed feelings - time to move on already now?