Sponsored by: Road Spy

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 05:51 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrotmd
Many thanks Rodsky; your comments are quite reassuring.

Thoughts on the suspension mods: I put the TechArt springs on first, mainly for the cosmetic appearance; they did not disappoint, but they definitely made the ride harsher and I bottomed out on a speed bump causing damage to a crossmember that had to be replaced. Nevertheless, it seems that cornering is enhanced (but I’m not a track guy). I installed the DSC controller because I love the idea of the technology and many members said it dramatically IMPROVED the ride. I find the ride MUCH harsher after DSC, but again, it seems to enhance cornering. I may only be experiencing “placebo effect”, but that’s how it feels to the seat of my pants.

I’d be very interested in your thoughts after you install it.

Roger

P.S. Yours is a Cabriolet too, right. Here’s a disappointing feature of the DSC install: there’s a port for a USB cable on the controller; it makes perfect sense to leave a cable attached so you can update firmware and change mapping without undoing half the car. It’s simple on the Coupe, but it’s impossible on the Cabrio because of different mechanical parts.

Must be how the springs plus DSC work together. My DSC on Stock springs is softer.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:15 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Roger, I think a lot of folks just look and leave. Guilty of it myself, just lazy I guess. It doesn't mean that folks don't appreciate your posts though. Rennlist is the way I decompress in the evening and I'm happy that there is so much content here.

For what it's worth your car is stunning and I love the way you have personalized it. BTW, I just found the like button!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:24 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

Roger, thanks for being open about what you felt and needed. That took courage. And, your TTS is stunning, highly personalized and unique.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:02 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Thoughts on the suspension mods: I put the TechArt springs on first, mainly for the cosmetic appearance; they did not disappoint, but they definitely made the ride harsher and I bottomed out on a speed bump causing damage to a crossmember that had to be replaced. Nevertheless, it seems that cornering is enhanced (but I’m not a track guy). I installed the DSC controller because I love the idea of the technology and many members said it dramatically IMPROVED the ride. I find the ride MUCH harsher after DSC, but again, it seems to enhance cornering. I may only be experiencing “placebo effect”, but that’s how it feels to the seat of my pants.

I’d be very interested in your thoughts after you install it.

Roger

P.S. Yours is a Cabriolet too, right. Here’s a disappointing feature of the DSC install: there’s a port for a USB cable on the controller; it makes perfect sense to leave a cable attached so you can update firmware and change mapping without undoing half the car. It’s simple on the Coupe, but it’s impossible on the Cabrio because of different mechanical parts.
Thanks Roger

I will be interested to see the difference. I've only heard good things about DSC. What I've heard that its ride is actually more comfortable in NORMAL and handles better in SPORT (maybe both). But the proof will be in the pudding. I am getting new HRE's and new MP4S tires too.

I am not looking for more harsh (would actually prefer a more compliant ride in NORMAL) but i dont have lowered, springs etc. Given that my TT is a DD coupled with fun, canyons, sporty drives, I dont want it to be the ultimate harsh track weapon. But i would like the best of both worlds - if that makes sense.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr Chill:
chance6 (10-26-2020), MotoJB (10-23-2020), Pb Pedis (10-22-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:24 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

"Call me overly sensitive, call me a jerk or call me a whiner, but that’s how I feel, and I believe I have a point here. Any comments guys?"

LOL, well, the jerk part doesn't apply...

It's clear that you REALLY want/need some sort of attention and validation here, which IME, is often when we don't receive it. Some posts get attention, some posts don't. Happens to all of us (especially if you're a ridiculous post ***** like I was at times and people start to completely gloss over them).

Anyhow, I hope you got what you were looking for from this thread. Lovely car overall .

Last edited by MotoJB; 10-24-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Wow.
agreed.

thread hijack my lawyer has same color as yours... such a great color in person. if i didn't love white... i'd have yours. what is that color called?
Old 10-24-2020, 01:40 AM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed the DSC controller because I love the idea of the technology and many members said it dramatically IMPROVED the ride. I find the ride MUCH harsher after DSC, but again, it seems to enhance cornering.
When ordering from DSC they make adjustments on the controller if you've lowered the car - makes a huge difference. If they didn't know you had the Tech Arts you may have the wrong tune.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

I think that inconsistent responses are the nature of the forums. The turbo forums get less traffic than the regular 991 forums too.

The thing that always annoys me (not about this forum specifically) is when someone makes a post asking for help with an issue, and I provide a detailed response. Another poster posts essentially the same thing that I said, and the OP thanks the second responder and doesn’t acknowledge my response at all. It’s just one of those forum things...
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Frank996

Received 147 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey rbrotmd,

I follow what you’re saying and reading through the posts above I just want to add a few points:

It seems like there are 2-3 main groups of car enthusiasts here (probably more but here are mine - high level)

First group belongs to the mechanical wizzards who do stuff themselves, the group that knows the the difference between part numbers 991.567.123.234 and 991.876.321.698 in their sleep (made these up as I defo do NOT belong to this group) and who can diagnose potential issues by description only.

Second group belongs to the race freaks, the ones that reads the curvs and calculate throttle response before going out to tame the Nürburgring

Third group belongs to people like myself. Not saying the above doesn´t also fit in this group but this group knows nada about the above. I pay someone else to "look" after my car, I take it to the Autobahn (I’m close to the German border) but don’t date taking it over 220 km/h (140mph) and just enjoy driving it on Sundays whe the weather is fine. I love looking at it when I walk through the garage, when taking the trash out, and feel blessed I have the possibilty to own my dream car...

That’s just my take on it so all have different focus points. My simple posts do not get mouch attention either as I mainly fall under the 3rd group but I still love being here and I learn a lot. I’m probably also bad at hijacking but I guess that’s how conversations go and how I learn.

This said, I love your Turbo S, but too much yellow for my taste I have (if you have read / seen my posts) also Racing Yellow seatbelts, Yellow key fob and matching stitching but that´'s where it ends for me. Only what puts a smile on your face is good enough...

Take care all, and stay healthy (i.e. Stay Negative

Sorry for any spelling & gramar mistakes... writing from an iPad.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Frank, you forgot the fourth group. The fourth group is the "What is my car worth?" group. They also like to talk about how rare their particular 911 might be. It's more prevalent on some of the other sub forums, like the 997 boards.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis C:
chance6 (10-26-2020), Frank996 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
....Third group belongs to people like myself. Not saying the above doesn´t also fit in this group but this group knows nada about the above. I pay someone else to "look" after my car, I take it to the Autobahn (I’m close to the German border) but don’t date taking it over 220 km/h (140mph) and just enjoy driving it on Sundays whe the weather is fine. I love looking at it when I walk through the garage, when taking the trash out, and feel blessed I have the possibilty to own my dream car....
This is my group. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours working on this car, or living at the track. It’s a beautiful piece of art that lives in my garage and gets driven once or twice a month.
Frank996 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 10:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
This is my group. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend hours working on this car, or living at the track. It’s a beautiful piece of art that lives in my garage and gets driven once or twice a month.
I'm in group 3. I can change a light bulb (barely). And I can install Zunnsport grills and my iPhone phone holder. And that’s the extent of my car skills.

But you only drive once or twice a month. That seems low. Why? I drive on average 3-5 times per week.

this is a car I like to drive often and in LA I can. Not as crazy as a F or L car (attention wise And that’s a good thing) but with the performance that’s close.

still debating the next Car adventure in my cavernous head. But I think it’s going to be a drivers car. 992 TT would be nice but is that different enough to what I’ve got. Light manual roadster or sports car eg 991 GT3 manual or 718 Spyder. Or Corvette C8 Z06. I am leaning to something sportier or more visceral than my 991 TT. Which may remain as a “keeper”.
Frank996 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 658 Posts
Talking Sad but true

Originally Posted by rodsky
....But you only drive once or twice a month. That seems low. Why? I drive on average 3-5 times per week.....
I would drive it more often if the circumstances would only warrant doing so, but it's a 4th car for me and my other vehicles are just more appropriate for meetings with at least 2 other passengers, construction sites, etc. On the other hand, when I do have an occasion to drive it, the experience is even more special and I savor every noise, smell and G-force the car delivers.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 10-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.
rodsky (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:25 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
It seems like there are 2-3 main groups of car enthusiasts here (probably more but here are mine - high level)

First group belongs to the mechanical wizzards who do stuff themselves, the group that knows the the difference between part numbers 991.567.123.234 and 991.876.321.698 in their sleep (made these up as I defo do NOT belong to this group) and who can diagnose potential issues by description only.

Second group belongs to the race freaks, the ones that reads the curvs and calculate throttle response before going out to tame the Nürburgring

Third group belongs to people like myself. Not saying the above doesn´t also fit in this group but this group knows nada about the above. I pay someone else to "look" after my car, I take it to the Autobahn (I’m close to the German border) but don’t date taking it over 220 km/h (140mph) and just enjoy driving it on Sundays whe the weather is fine. I love looking at it when I walk through the garage, when taking the trash out, and feel blessed I have the possibilty to own my dream car...
I think this is it, plus timing. I am into tracking, not dragging, and not heavy personalized mods. While I totally dig and support the other groups, my interest falls in one direction more than others. Also, I always feel like I post too much, so I try to reserve my comments to areas I am closest to. Your car is wicked, and 100% your taste. Congrats! There's plenty of room for all of us in this forum. Sorry if I hijacked another thread.
Frank996 (10-31-2020)

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?