Can't get more than 14 psi before boost cuts to 1 psi

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

WOW,
I guess she was constipated

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sam as usual, you are the man!
Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 PM
stef@europipe
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 357 Likes on 165 Posts

Good to hear that the issues were solved. Bad cats but no CEL

Your tune must have been for catless exhausts then!!!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow enlightening to say the least! Glad you got it sorted Kong. Who would have thought, and we are very lucky to have customer friendly people like Sam

Good call about the tune Stef@Europipe
Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 456 Posts

Care to share whose cats they were? Were they factory cats or, more likely, aftermarket?
Old 10-30-2020, 05:18 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 978 Likes on 593 Posts

So glad you are enjoying it bud! By my best guess those are EEC cats used for display by Kline in the past. A mistake may have occurred somewhere. They (what's left) do not look like the HJS we use. With a side shot of the cat body and teh Kline serial # we can get to the bottom of it and sort it out

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-30-2020, 10:40 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Wow enlightening to say the least! Glad you got it sorted Kong. Who would have thought, and we are very lucky to have customer friendly people like Sam

Good call about the tune Stef@Europipe
Good call indeed @Stef! I had them tuned out. Good thing these things don't have pre-turbo cats, i can see major issues with the turbocharger blades should any of cat's particulate bits get in there.
@Jean - I would have never thought myself! It never occured to me that the cats might have been the issue although in retrospect, the car did sound different. Now, the thing howl's again (even more with his test pipes in!). I did the last DE of the year with my local PCA chapter this past weekend but was not content. I'm going to be back out at Summit Point next weekend (SHHHHHHHHHHH).

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Good to hear that the issues were solved. Bad cats but no CEL

Your tune must have been for catless exhausts then!!!

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
WOW,
I guess she was constipated

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sam as usual, you are the man!
Constipated is RIGHT! I should have just gone with the test pipes from the get-go. Thanks for offering some OEM parts. I've been keeping up with your pics on the other thread and needless to say, I'm as anxious as you are to see what's next for your car.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
So glad you are enjoying it bud! By my best guess those are EEC cats used for display by Kline in the past. A mistake may have occurred somewhere. They (what's left) do not look like the HJS we use. With a side shot of the cat body and teh Kline serial # we can get to the bottom of it and sort it out
Thanks for taking care of me and getting me squared away. That street tune's power is simply mega! The fireballs are a neat little party trick - even my 4 year old loves it! As mentioned above, the new tune and power has the car feeling so good, I was not content ending the season last week and will be back on track next weekend to whip the horse some more!

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Care to share whose cats they were? Were they factory cats or, more likely, aftermarket?
Jim, they were aftermarket HJS 200 cell units. I wish I could have provided more information but they're in the recycling bin at the shop already.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:48 PM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Uh-oh. I have HJS 200 cell cat. converters in my car. I'll be sure to keep my OEM exhaust nearby just in case...
Old 10-31-2020, 12:07 AM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

I had a sports car (non-porsche) that had it's sport cats melt from a much-too rich tune leaving fuel to burn in the cat. Wonder if something like that might have been at play here?
Old 10-31-2020, 12:43 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 978 Likes on 593 Posts

Yeah it's rare to burn up an HJS at these levels.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:16 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonbrick
Uh-oh. I have HJS 200 cell cat. converters in my car. I'll be sure to keep my OEM exhaust nearby just in case...
Mason - I believe this is an isolated incident and sometimes things can go wrong but I will say, it's good practice to have your OEM stuff around... especially the cats.

Originally Posted by Beezupra
I had a sports car (non-porsche) that had it's sport cats melt from a much-too rich tune leaving fuel to burn in the cat. Wonder if something like that might have been at play here?
Beez - I actually think it might have something to do with it. I bought the Cobb from a fellow rennlister which was running a tune that was running rich. Candidly, my lesson is that I should have called Sam for a pro-tune earlier to at least eliminate that from even being a remote possibility as your logic is sound.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Yeah it's rare to burn up an HJS at these levels.
Glad you got me straightened out brother!
Old 10-31-2020, 03:53 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

There are different versions of HJS cats, and not all of them are meant for turbo cars. Ie only few of them are designed to withstand EGT levels right after turbines.

Quick Reply: Can't get more than 14 psi before boost cuts to 1 psi