Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Shipping used wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020 | 06:29 PM
16paws
AutoX

Default Shipping used wheels

Just an FYI. I bought a set of Vorsteiner wheels with tires from the forum and they were packed really well, shipped via UPS with insurance, but arrived damaged. One wheel was clearly dropped onto something sharp that resulted in a gouge in the inner wheel rim. The front rim was also scraped up in several places. On top of that, one of the rear tires had a new nail in it. Both the seller and I called UPS, filed claims and jumped through their hoops. BTW, the seller provided pre-shipping pics and dropped the wheels/tires off at a UPS hub. The packages were accepted by a UPS employee who proceeded to sell UPS insurance on each package. UPS agreed that wheels/tires were damaged and then sent the claim onto their third party insurance adjuster, UPS Capital, because the claim was a "large" amount. The seller received a letter from of denial of coverage from a company called Crawford (Ft Worth, TX) on the basis of insufficient packaging, which is crazy as the other wheels were fine.

I Googled UPS damage of wheels and many car forums popped up stating that UPS' m.o. is to deny coverage due to insufficient packaging. I loaded trucks at UPS during undergrad and they were strict as can be...I guess they have gone downhill. Even back then, freight was occasionally damaged.

BEWARE of shipping wheels and tires via UPS! If anyone has any ideas, let me know!
The following 2 users liked this post by 16paws:
Engro (06-23-2020), TurboS_GG (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020 | 06:59 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Crawford is an independent adjusting firm employed by UPS. They will deny every claim at the outset. I do question the new nail in the tire claim. Your best courses of action are to work up the appeals chain while threatening to make a complaint to the departments of insurance in the states where the packages were shipped and received. The amount of paperwork a complaint will generate will likely get a favorable outcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim991:
TurboS_GG (06-22-2020), worf928 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 10:42 AM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Shipped wheels before using Fedex and although Fedex rates were more, the wheels arrived at destination on time\undamaged. It helped that i packaged said wheels properly too. I've had UPS loose a package i sent to SoCal end up in Washington state and was actually considered lost\missing for several weeks. I don't use UPS or USPS for shipping any high value item. Good luck with claim

Old 06-23-2020 | 11:36 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

I've shipped two sets of wheels (with tires on them) via Fedex and no problems. Cardboard on the sides of the wheels, taped and shrink wrapped up.
Old 06-23-2020 | 12:23 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've been buying wheels from the Tirerack for years - nothing has ever shown up damaged, probably damaged by someone who couldn't car less. Unfortunate, but **** happens. I hope they honor the claim, majorly inconvenient.
Old 06-23-2020 | 12:35 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

When I purchased mine used from SoCal gentleman he stacked them (tire/wheels mounted) onto a pallet and wrapped and spaced with cardboard....this mandated the shipper use a forklift and no unruly handling would happen..i had them shipped directly to the dealer who cleared with his customs broker and they arrived perfect...
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020 | 12:37 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, that is the best way to move them; remove the temptation to throw them around by anyone.
Old 06-23-2020 | 11:59 PM
16paws
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jim991
Crawford is an independent adjusting firm employed by UPS. They will deny every claim at the outset. I do question the new nail in the tire claim. Your best courses of action are to work up the appeals chain while threatening to make a complaint to the departments of insurance in the states where the packages were shipped and received. The amount of paperwork a complaint will generate will likely get a favorable outcome.
Thanks for the reply we will use your approach. I forgot to tell you how the shipper packaged the wheels. He cut styrofoam circles to protect each metal surfaces of the wheels, covered the styrofoam with thick cardboard and then he taped the entire package in clear packing tape...the Unibomber couldn't have done a better job. UPS clearly dropped one of the front wheels onto a spike of some kind, hard enough to penetrate the packing and take a gouge out of the back rim of the wheel. We'll see how it goes, but I just don't want anyone else to go through this.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 06-25-2020 | 01:45 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

What is up with a new nail in the tire from shipping???
Old 06-25-2020 | 03:49 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nanook
When I purchased mine used from SoCal gentleman he stacked them (tire/wheels mounted) onto a pallet and wrapped and spaced with cardboard....this mandated the shipper use a forklift and no unruly handling would happen..i had them shipped directly to the dealer who cleared with his customs broker and they arrived perfect...
Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Yep, that is the best way to move them; remove the temptation to throw them around by anyone.
I ordered a set of winter wheels/tires from getporscheparts.com, and they shipped me a pallet with all four individually covered, strapped down, and everything surrounded by heavy cardboard. It was obvious that nothing had ever been stacked on top. I don't know if you can do that with UPS/Fedex - and maybe you can't - it was an independent freight company that brought me the wheels/tires (in perfect condition).
Old 06-25-2020 | 03:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FedEx ground for pallets, am not sure what the US UPS service is called, perhaps LTL?

Quick Reply: Shipping used wheels