Sponsored by: Road Spy

Upgraded intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020 | 11:43 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redlinerobert
So what I've gathered is that if you're doing a tune it makes sense to upgrade the intercoolers, if not factory is fine?
I think that is a fair representation.
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:22 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGan
When I get a tune I plan on getting a intercooler as well! AMS makes a 5inch one, but I don’t know if that would hinder performance compared to like a 4.5 inch!
Anthony,
what are you going to do with the car? From what I've gathered, If you're just doing some street driving and drag racing (short runs with lots of airflow), a larger core is good for cooling. If you're going to be doing track days (my goal), the larger cores are more prone to heat sink due to the added mass which could potentially lead the engine to pull timing/boost to keep IAT's in check. Here's a video that might help from a fellow forum member who did some logging and provided us some real world data figures (I went the same route he did with CSF intercoolers).

The following users liked this post:
AnthonyGan (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:25 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You could always have them coated with a heat shedding coating.

https://techlinecoatings.com/

I have used them on a number of projects.

Old 04-19-2020 | 12:35 AM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Originally Posted by AnthonyGan
When I get a tune I plan on getting a intercooler as well! AMS makes a 5inch one, but I don’t know if that would hinder performance compared to like a 4.5 inch!

Does AMS make a set for the 991.2 TurboS? If so its not listed.

https://www.amsperformance.com/produ...pipes-porsche/
Old 04-19-2020 | 01:45 AM
AnthonyGan
Instructor

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Anthony,
what are you going to do with the car? From what I've gathered, If you're just doing some street driving and drag racing (short runs with lots of airflow), a larger core is good for cooling. If you're going to be doing track days (my goal), the larger cores are more prone to heat sink due to the added mass which could potentially lead the engine to pull timing/boost to keep IAT's in check. Here's a video that might help from a fellow forum member who did some logging and provided us some real world data figures (I went the same route he did with CSF intercoolers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9PDJ-Q4TLQ
hey man, thanks for the reply and all the information! I’m not tracking the car, just sprited back road driving, and launching the car not back to back, but ever so often! that’s about it! From your response if I read it right, I think I’ll benefit from a larger intercooler!
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020 | 03:05 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Our intercoolers are rated for over 1000hp and are OEM PNP design. Many pleased customers with satisfied reviews.
Very important for these cars as their IAT sky rocket just after one pull even in stock form.

We use the same high density core design in all our intercoolers between the platforms:

This intercooler core on my 800+whp 335i barely went up 20* IAT in a 1/2 mile pull at 35psi:

On sale now for $1900 will work for 991.1 and 991.2 Turbo/S models. Email me at Payam@Burgertuning.com. Mention rennlist discount and I'll do %15 off and free shipping.

https://burgertuning.com/products/po...737478b3&_ss=r

-Payam
Old 04-19-2020 | 06:23 AM
lolo2102
Advanced

Originally Posted by BMS
Our intercoolers are rated for over 1000hp and are OEM PNP design. Many pleased customers with satisfied reviews.
Very important for these cars as their IAT sky rocket just after one pull even in stock form.

We use the same high density core design in all our intercoolers between the platforms:

This intercooler core on my 800+whp 335i barely went up 20* IAT in a 1/2 mile pull at 35psi:

On sale now for $1900 will work for 991.1 and 991.2 Turbo/S models. Email me at Payam@Burgertuning.com. Mention rennlist discount and I'll do %15 off and free shipping.

-Payam
Hey

Thats a very competitive price, I've never heard of these intercoolers before, are they new on the market? Any data on a 991.1 Turbo S?

That seems like a bargain
Old 04-19-2020 | 10:13 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMS

-Payam
Any Meth or Eth added on that pull ?
Old 04-19-2020 | 11:05 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
You’re a clever one, aren’t you!! To me you seem VERY sharp with asking all the right questions regarding every single post I see you make. Obviously I’m still grateful you helped me solve my issue with my car, but all in all you seem very well informed. Your presence on these forums are a good thing for us all.

Now, on with the question you asked... I was wondering the very same thing. I’m thinking AMS I/C’s for my car based on my previous experience with them, but I’m open to any coolers if they’re worth their cost.
Old 04-19-2020 | 11:17 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
You’re a clever one, aren’t you!! To me you seem VERY sharp with asking all the right questions regarding every single post I see you make. Obviously I’m still grateful you helped me solve my issue with my car, but all in all you seem very well informed. Your presence on these forums are a good thing for us all.

Now, on with the question you asked... I was wondering the very same thing. I’m thinking AMS I/C’s for my car based on my previous experience with them, but I’m open to any coolers if they’re worth their cost.
Thanks, but it’s just curiosity questions.
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:07 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
You could always have them coated with a heat shedding coating.

https://techlinecoatings.com/

I have used them on a number of projects.
CSF’s actually came coated
https://csfrace.com/worlds-best-pors...oolers-by-csf/
Old 04-19-2020 | 03:18 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lolo2102
Hey

Thats a very competitive price, I've never heard of these intercoolers before, are they new on the market? Any data on a 991.1 Turbo S?

That seems like a bargain
We've had these intercoolers on the market for almost a year now. I have data on a 991.2 TTS actually, which has bigger turbos than 991.1
Here's a pull from 50-140mph. IAT starts at 69* ends at 76*, barely 7* delta.
On a 991.1 TTS, it would probably be less IAT increase

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
No chemical cooling of any sort. I would never post something like that to misguide anyone. Our intercoolers are fantastic and we sell thousands of them a year between our provided platforms.

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
We stand by our products 100% and I'm here all the time to help with tech support and questions. I know we're new in the Porsche scene, but we've been in business for over a decade with other huge platforms.
BMS owns over 20 development cars in which we actively develop parts and tunes for. Working on many platforms to keep them moving forward and actually race our cars
The 1/2 mile events are valuable because we can take multiple cars to collect data. I try to post as much of it as I can and I'm very transparent with the data we collect.

-Payam
Old 04-19-2020 | 03:24 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by BMS
We've had these intercoolers on the market for almost a year now. I have data on a 991.2 TTS actually, which has bigger turbos than 991.1

No chemical cooling of any sort. I would never post something like that to misguide anyone. Our intercoolers are fantastic and we sell thousands of them a year between our provided platforms.

We stand by our products 100% and I'm here all the time to help with tech support and questions. I know we're new in the Porsche scene, but we've been in business for over a decade with other huge platforms.
BMS owns over 20 development cars in which we actively develop parts and tunes for. Working on many platforms to keep them moving forward and actually race our cars
The 1/2 mile events are valuable because we can take multiple cars to collect data. I try to post as much of it as I can and I'm very transparent with the data we collect.

-Payam
I appreciate your reply.
Old 04-19-2020 | 03:36 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMS

-Payam
Nice! Any core specs ? Core manufacturer ?
Old 04-19-2020 | 03:48 PM
lolo2102
Advanced

Thank you Payam for your reply, I might go with your ICs then when I will be ready to buy sometimes next month, I hope your great promotion will still stand

Quick Reply: Upgraded intercoolers?